Achievement Hounds Podcast • View topic - King Of Completions Competition Discussion

King Of Completions Competition Discussion

King Of Completions Competition Discussion

Postby Freamwhole » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:18 am

There was a nice round of discussion tucked away in the chat regarding this upcoming TA contest.

I've seen a ton of names from the forums pop up on my friend feed (me included).

I think the overwhelming sense is that this contest is relatively poorly conceived. The very possibility that it could go on forever is entirely real.

I'd like to continue to hear peoples thoughts on this contest and changes that could make it better - perhaps for our forums later on.

I've got around 60 completions - pretty pathetic, but there are some trickier ones tucked in there. This will likely get me into the Viral Games community, but as far as getting a ONE, WP, PAL, etc. - I'll stick with the 360 until I've conquered my opponent's list before spending extra cash or pleading for charity.
Living the dream (because I'm always half asleep)
Medals: 25
New Hound on the Block (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) Amazonian (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) 2000 Posts (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Progress?? (1) Representative (1) Community Cast Star (1) Booster X (1) Boosting Medley (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
58 pcs.
126 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Freamwhole
Top Dawg

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Cash on hand: 9393
Bank: 760,995.00
United States of America

Re: King Of Completions Competition Discussion

Postby Freamwhole » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:22 am

As far as improvements for a competition of this sort.

It definitely needs to be shorter term. If you kept the bracket concept and had each person pick 5 completions from their own list each round to wager against their opponent. And it would be a race to get those 5 - then subsequent rounds you couldn't pick those games again.

To make it more sporting - limit it to platforms the opponent has.
New Hound on the Block (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) Amazonian (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) 2000 Posts (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Progress?? (1) Representative (1) Community Cast Star (1) Booster X (1) Boosting Medley (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
58 pcs.
126 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Freamwhole
Top Dawg

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

United States of America

Postby Xtowers » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:05 am

I think the TA tournament will go on for a very very long time. As it stands there no real way to encourage people to even compete (aside from the grand prize) and there's no time limit in place.

I forsee myself getting in to the competition, and completing a few, but I'd probably lose interest pretty quickly (there's no way I'd win having only been on my 360 for a couple years). If my opponent feels the same way, we'd just be stuck in the competition not completing each others' games.

On the other hand, I think I'd be out of the competition pretty quickly if there were time limits in place.

Freamwhole, I like your idea for the contest. You make it a little more strategic, but not overwhelming. In fact, maybe to even make it more fun and fair you could limit the competition to only games that both people have first. For example, go here: http://www.trueachievements.com/gamerco ... did=276088 and check the box for games only both players have.

I could challenge you to finish Fruit Ninja, Magic, and Spongebob, amongst others. If there are no choices, you could branch out from there in to games only one player has. This could keep the competition a little more fun and a little less expensive, rather than you challenging me to complete a brand new retail title that I'd rather not drop $60 on. If you know who you're up against, too, you could decide to dive a few games your opponent has and hopefully have those picked.

It is just an idea, and probably not foolproof, but a little more friendly I think.
11,500 GamerScore and 10 retail completions obtained thanks to Viral Games.
Medals: 31
New Hound on the Block (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Amazonian (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Haughty Hound (1) Fortunate (1) 900 posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Weekly Blogger (1) Representative (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Donor (1) Gold Viral Gamer (1) Booster I (1) Love To Swipe (1) Top 10 (1) Mind Sculptor (1) Bird Flew (1) Denied (1) AHP Competition 2nd (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) March Madness (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1)
Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
22 pcs.
107 pcs.
143 pcs.
3 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Xtowers
Top Dawg

Cash on hand: 58550
Bank: 244,882.00
United States of America

Postby Freamwhole » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:53 am

I was reading the leaderboard forums and I truly think the organizer thinks this will answer the question definitively who is the best in terms of completions.

I think having a smaller - bracket style contest would be way more fun.

Doing my approach would not be the "King of Completions" - more like the "Master Completion Strategist" - but in all honesty, is the Super Bowl winner each year the best team in football - not necessarily. In one game, the most important one, they prevailed.
Virtual Shelf:
58 pcs.
126 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Freamwhole
Top Dawg

United States of America

Postby spankynspronkle » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:12 pm

To be honest, the whole contest is pointless. I only joined to hopefully make my first opponent have to play through some crappy games (planning to finish Monsters Love Candy before the start just to be even more annoying).

My biggest issue is that It will never end. This isn't an assumption... it really wont. There is such variation in games that you can match up two people with 100 completions and they will each need to complete 75 games to cover their opponents list. The gap will get wider as you move higher up in completions.

Layer on top of that the issue that not everyone has the same systems. No one is buying a Windows Phone/PC/XboxOne/NTSJ360 just to have a shot at winning. That alone will cause the biggest issue... Two people will make Zero progress since they can't be bothered with buying hardware that they don't own.

One of my questions is how you get to the next round... Does the first need to finish before going to the second? If so, it'll likely never evolve since the first round won't end for many competitors.
Medals: 59
Experienced Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Charitable (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Halfway There (1) Jackpot (1) Code Cracker (1) 3000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Month Long Informer (1) Intern Blogger (1) Progress?? (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Donor (1) Colonel Viral (1) Silver Viral Gamer (1) Booster XX (1) Monotonous Yet Diverse (1)
May The Forza Be With You (1) The Booster Seat (1) Love To Swipe (1) First! (1) Deja Vu I (1) 30 Xbox One Completions (1) Denied (1) Eaglemaniac (1) Down, Fido (1) BFF (1) Sandwich Lover (1) Gun Hoarder (1) Points to Burn (1) Nothing Collector (1) The Collector (1) Rarefied (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Community Manager (1) Free Falling (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List Participant (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
22 pcs.
120 pcs.
10 pcs.
137 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

spankynspronkle

Community Manager

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Cash on hand: 0
Bank: 717,076.00
United States of America

Postby Freamwhole » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:40 pm

There has to be a time element added.

Whether a deadline to complete, progress shown, etc.

I was thinking if they set up 4 gamertag blocks - like the NCAA regional games. Once one pair faced an elimination, the clock would start on the one pair to come up with a winner. Then once that group of 4 had a single representative, the adjoining group of 4's countdown clock would start. It would spread like a virus forcing everyone to hurry up or be completely eliminated.

$1000 wouldn't move the needle. $100,000 maybe could convince someone to quit life and complete this.

I think this dude is long gone from TA before he ever has to pay out and I believe that is by design.

I sent him my suggestions (that I mentioned earlier) on mini battles - if he adopts it, great - if not, I'm setting up my own competition in these forums. Maybe not for completing games, but an achievement type bracket challenge.
Virtual Shelf:
58 pcs.
126 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Freamwhole
Top Dawg

United States of America

Postby spankynspronkle » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:07 pm

Freamwhole wrote:I think this dude is long gone from TA before he ever has to pay out and I believe that is by design.

I thought the exact same thing... It's easy to put up money when your chances are basically nill of ever paying it out.
Medals: 59
Experienced Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Charitable (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Halfway There (1) Jackpot (1) Code Cracker (1) 3000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Month Long Informer (1) Intern Blogger (1) Progress?? (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Donor (1) Colonel Viral (1) Silver Viral Gamer (1) Booster XX (1) Monotonous Yet Diverse (1)
May The Forza Be With You (1) The Booster Seat (1) Love To Swipe (1) First! (1) Deja Vu I (1) 30 Xbox One Completions (1) Denied (1) Eaglemaniac (1) Down, Fido (1) BFF (1) Sandwich Lover (1) Gun Hoarder (1) Points to Burn (1) Nothing Collector (1) The Collector (1) Rarefied (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Community Manager (1) Free Falling (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List Participant (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
22 pcs.
120 pcs.
10 pcs.
137 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

spankynspronkle

Community Manager

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Cash on hand: 0
Bank: 717,076.00
United States of America

Postby Xtowers » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:29 am

I made a suggestion for the TA contest. It puts a little more urgency in to the contest and hopefully keeps the players a little more engaged. It goes like this:

1) All players are put in to groups based on the number of games they have completed. (i.e. Group 1 = 0-99 games completed, Group 2 = 100-199 games completed, and so on)
2) Each month a person announces a target player from within their group. The goal is to eliminate your target by completing all the games your target has completed.
2a. A person cannot change a target for the duration of the month unless their target is eliminated from the tournament.
2b. A person can be eliminated by their own target if their target completes all the games they have completed.
2c. A person who does not announce a target at the start of a month can be eliminated by anybody (essentially becomes a second target for every player, but they cannot be eliminated by that target)
3) The competition ensues until there are no more competitors. Each month group thresholds can be adjusted to ensure no groups have only a single member (or if you are the only one left in a group, maybe you'll just have to name a target from the group above you).

So essentially it is kind of the same concept and there's no real time limit, but hopefully making your monthly target announcement will keep players involved and active. You don't have to be put up with someone who owns a Japanese console if you don't have one for instance. And if there's people actively targeting you, you might be more inclined to either eliminate them, or play defense and keep yourself from being eliminated. It doesn't force you to play, but it lights a fire under you to keep competing.

I was also mulling around with the idea to allow additional targets in certain instances. For example, the top player in each group can be eliminated by any player in that group (without the risk of being eliminated themselves) as an extra incentive to move up to the next group.
New Hound on the Block (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Amazonian (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Haughty Hound (1) Fortunate (1) 900 posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Weekly Blogger (1) Representative (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Donor (1) Gold Viral Gamer (1) Booster I (1) Love To Swipe (1) Top 10 (1) Mind Sculptor (1) Bird Flew (1) Denied (1) AHP Competition 2nd (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) March Madness (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1)
Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
22 pcs.
107 pcs.
143 pcs.
3 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Xtowers
Top Dawg

United States of America

Postby Freamwhole » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:18 pm

Sucks for anyone with easy completions. They could be eliminated immediately if the "targeter" sees they've already accomplished their demise.

Granted, anyone with easy completions is due a quick and painless death in the contest anyway.

I saw you posting some of my other ideas in the forums - hopefully they get some traction too.
Virtual Shelf:
58 pcs.
126 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Freamwhole
Top Dawg

United States of America

Postby Kovy88 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:34 pm

Winning this would mean facing somebody like smrnov in the finals and you would need to complete possibly 500-900 new games. Nobody cares that much for a mere thousand dollars+. You would have to complete all kinds of games you personally hate, let's say one achievement can take 700 hours, I'm nearing that amount of playtime I've put to unlock Seriously 3.0. And the next-gen is well on it's way and you would have to dedicate your time to play on Xbox 360, because most of the completions are on that platform. Something like "complete 50% of opponents games" sounds much more feasible.

Let's say you absolutely hate shoot 'em ups and shooters. Please welcome yourself to my list, where you can smash your head against the wall with Galaga Legions, Geometry Wars, FEAR-series and Max Payne 3 and soon Gears 3 too. :D
Medals: 21
Veteran Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) One Of Us (1) Shareholder (1) Haughty Hound (1) Seriously? (1) One For the Spartans (1) The Veteran (1) BSAA Professional (1) You Can't Miss the Bear (1) Playing in the Sandbox (1) A Real Hero (1) Viral Games 2.0 (1) Big Daddy (1) Yes, They're Brass (1) Bethesdaholic (1) Deja Vu II (1) 30 Xbox One Completions (1) All Rounder 2 (1) PC Master Race (1) To Do List Participant (1)
%s XBox Live Avatar

Kovy88
Yearling

Cash on hand: 88315
Finland

Postby Xtowers » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:36 pm

Freamwhole wrote:Sucks for anyone with easy completions. They could be eliminated immediately if the "targeter" sees they've already accomplished their demise.

Granted, anyone with easy completions is due a quick and painless death in the contest anyway.

Yes, I'll grant you anyone with only Avatar completed will be first out of the competition. Not exactly a huge loss. XD

Just looking at the games completed leaderboard on TA and comparing the person directly above me and below me (at 158 completed games) we only have 36 and 33 completed games in common. That's about a 20% similarity, and that's not a ton of completed games (comparatively speaking).

Even you and I only have 14ish completed games in common (I only have 25% of your completed games completed). I think even those sitting around 10-20 completions will have vastly different completed games compared to their opponent. I also suggested in the forums that you couldn't target insta-elimination people to give people a fighting chance. So essentially, you'd need to play defensively if you were a low-completion competitor until you got enough completions under your belt to compete in your group (or your aggressor graduated to a higher group at the end of the month).

Even with all that, I still think it would be better than random pairings since it'll force people to either play or get eliminated at those lower brackets.

Kovy88 wrote:Winning this would mean facing somebody like smrnov in the finals and you would need to complete possibly 500-900 new games. Nobody cares that much for a mere thousand dollars+. You would have to complete all kinds of games you personally hate, let's say one achievement can take 700 hours, I'm nearing that amount of playtime I've put to unlock Seriously 3.0. And the next-gen is well on it's way and you would have to dedicate your time to play on Xbox 360, because most of the completions are on that platform. Something like "complete 50% of opponents games" sounds much more feasible.

Let's say you absolutely hate shoot 'em ups and shooters. Please welcome yourself to my list, where you can smash your head against the wall with Galaga Legions, Geometry Wars, FEAR-series and Max Payne 3 and soon Gears 3 too. :D

For the record, I agree with the other in this thread: I don't think this tournament on TA will ever end. However, I DO think it will be fun. My main goal would be to just stay in it as long as possible, and I think I could do that well with a defensive strategy.

Years down the road, I might have a shot at winning it, who knows? I've only just started with Xbox a few years ago, and I've accumulated over 117,000 gamerscore and 158 completions in that time. I'd say I could compete if I really tried. Couple that with the chance that all 360 games with online-enabled achievements could lose support in 4 years means the playing field could be leveled a bit in my favor. I dunno. The tournament just seems fun and there's no reason not to join it in any form.

I've also heard the suggestion to complete only a portion of the games your opponent has completed, but the organizer won't really give in that much. He wants to crown the King of Completions, not the King of 50% Completions. Although, I don't necessarily think the suggestion is a bad one.

Lastly, I'm a gamer that will try any game. I look at this tournament as a reason to branch out and try some of those games/genres I've hardly touched. I couldn't stand Forza 5 after first playing it, but now I'm a racing pro and I've even dived some other Forza games in the hopes of playing them at a later date. You've completed all those hard-to-complete games? I say, bring it on!
Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
22 pcs.
107 pcs.
143 pcs.
3 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Xtowers
Top Dawg

United States of America

Postby Freamwhole » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:44 am

X,

I think that is why I like the 5 games stand off I mentioned earlier. I could look at my randomly generated opponent and say, "He has zero Kinect Enabled game completions" - so I'll wager "Fruit Ninja", "Avatar", "Nutjitsu", "My Horse And Me 2" and "X-Men Arcade" - knowing that the single Kinect game might cause enough problems to give me a chance at his five.

I could take down smrnv if he is terrible at Wipeout 2 and he looked at my list and gave my 5 relatively normal completions (saving his tougher ones for later).
Virtual Shelf:
58 pcs.
126 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Freamwhole
Top Dawg

United States of America

Postby fengf1865 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:04 pm

timberland pro work boots
adidas store
north face outlet
pandora bracelet charms
nike outlet online
oakley sunglasses for men
adidas yeezy boost