Achievement Hounds Podcast • View topic - Book Club March - The Gargoyle - Questions and Discussion

Book Club March - The Gargoyle - Questions and Discussion

Book Club March - The Gargoyle - Questions and Discussion

Postby HyruleBalverine » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:17 pm

I'm assuming that those of you who are going to participate have at least ordered or borrowed your books if you haven't already started reading them. I figured that I'd get the discussion going; you can add whatever comments you want as well as ask any questions that you wish. There is no need to only make one post in the thread as we will all be at different points and will likely want to comment as we get further along. But for now:

How far along in the book are you?

Did you happen to catch the main character's name?

Do you think that Marianne is crazy or do you think that what she says is true?

Did you read the entire list of food at the Christmas party?

What was your initial impression of Jack Meredith?
Image Image
Medals: 47
New Hound on the Block (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Amazonian (1) Charitable (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Dog didn't eat your homework! (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Jackpot (1) 2000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Gift of Gab (1) The Year In Review (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Philanthropist (1) Colonel Viral (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster L (1) Are We Done Yet? (1) Seriously? (1) One For the Spartans (1) Requiescat In Pace (1)
Brick Breaker (1) Gem in the Rough (1) Love To Swipe (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) Deja Vu I (1) All Rounder 1 (1) Denied (1) Nothing Collector (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Cash on hand: 85639
Bank: 572,172.00
Location: Marysville, WA, USA, North America, Sol 3, Sol System, Orion Arm, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy.
United States of America

Re: Book Club March - The Gargoyle - Questions and Discussio

Postby HyruleBalverine » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:06 am

I'd hoped that somebody would have posted some answers already, but since I've finished already, I guess I'll start and just hope that somebody else posts, too.

How far along in the book are you?
I've finished the book as of today.

Did you happen to catch the main character's name?
To be honest, I asked this question because I don't think that it was ever stated what the main character's name was. It was my hope that if it was, somebody else would have caught it. It's kind of neat that he went through the entire book without using his name once.

Do you think that Marianne is crazy or do you think that what she says is true?
I won't say what the actual answer is, because I don't want to spoil it for those of you who are actually reading the book. I will, however, tell you what I was thinking as I was reading. It seems way too easy to dismiss Marianne as crazy, especially as this is a book. There were a few things that I noticed as the story continued that caused me to lean towards the belief that she was telling the truth. Two in particular caught my attention:
Spoiler: show
  • When they are at the beach and Marianne goes polar bear skinny dipping, she talks about having done so in Finland. He thinks to himself We've never been to Finland
  • As she continues the story of their life together in the past, she talks about the condotta catching him. The words that Kuonrat the Ambitious said to him were the exact words that he had been hearing in his nightmares in this life. There's no way that I can think of that she'd know that.

There were other things that swayed my opinion in that direction, but these, to me, seemed to be the biggest. Again, I won't tell you what the truth of the story is. You'll have to read it to the end to find out yourself. This is just my opinion as I read.

Did you read the entire list of food at the Christmas party?
I only asked this because while I was starting to skip over the long list, I noticed a few things thrown in there just to mess with the reader. I must say that I was quite amused.

What was your initial impression of Jack Meredith?
My initial impression of Jack Meredith was that she was kind of a bitch. Not just in a bad way, but also in a good way, because she seemed to care about Marianne... or maybe just the money. Either way, she certainly spoke her mind.
Image Image
New Hound on the Block (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Amazonian (1) Charitable (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Dog didn't eat your homework! (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Jackpot (1) 2000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Gift of Gab (1) The Year In Review (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Philanthropist (1) Colonel Viral (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster L (1) Are We Done Yet? (1) Seriously? (1) One For the Spartans (1) Requiescat In Pace (1)
Brick Breaker (1) Gem in the Rough (1) Love To Swipe (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) Deja Vu I (1) All Rounder 1 (1) Denied (1) Nothing Collector (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Location: Marysville, WA, USA, North America, Sol 3, Sol System, Orion Arm, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy.
United States of America

Postby JelliedBigfoot » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:09 am

I've read the first chapter so I glossed over the other comments and questions. Have not yet caught his name but holy crap, not at all what I expected in first chapter. Sorry I'm behind :)
Medals: 16
New Hound on the Block (1) Greyhound (1) One Of Us (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) 600 posts (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Donor (1) Captain Viral (1) Silver Viral Gamer (1) Can I Get A Witness? (1) 10 Xbox One Completions (1) Participation Puppy (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
4 pcs.
90 pcs.
50 pcs.
54 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

JelliedBigfoot
Top Dawg

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Cash on hand: 66869
Bank: 146,548.00
United States of America

Postby HyruleBalverine » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:26 am

No worries; I'm just glad that somebody is ready and participating!

I'm also glad that I'm not the only one that was thrown for a loop at how the book started. It was not at all what I expected from the book. I think I rather enjoyed the book, more because it was so different than what I typically read than anything else.
Image Image
Virtual Shelf:
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

United States of America

Return to Book Club