Achievement Hounds Podcast • View topic - The Field Guide: The Spiderwick Chronicles Bk 1 - Discussion

The Field Guide: The Spiderwick Chronicles Bk 1 - Discussion

The Field Guide: The Spiderwick Chronicles Bk 1 - Discussion

Postby HyruleBalverine » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:00 pm

I'm going to start this discussion off with just a few questions. It is my hope that each person will respond to these questions and add at least one question of their own. Add as many as you'd like to the discussion at any time. I am assuming that by this time, all of you that are participating have read the roughly 100 pages of the book and will frame my questions accordingly.

1. Did you choose to continue the series upon completion of the first book, and if so, how far into the series have you made it?
  2. Have you seen the feature film by Nickelodeon and if so, what do you think of the differences and similarities between the movie and what you've read so far?
  3. What did you think of the chapter naming style (In which... blah, blah, blah)?
Image Image
Medals: 47
New Hound on the Block (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Amazonian (1) Charitable (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Dog didn't eat your homework! (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Jackpot (1) 2000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Gift of Gab (1) The Year In Review (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Philanthropist (1) Colonel Viral (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster L (1) Are We Done Yet? (1) Seriously? (1) One For the Spartans (1) Requiescat In Pace (1)
Brick Breaker (1) Gem in the Rough (1) Love To Swipe (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) Deja Vu I (1) All Rounder 1 (1) Denied (1) Nothing Collector (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Cash on hand: 85639
Bank: 572,172.00
Location: Marysville, WA, USA, North America, Sol 3, Sol System, Orion Arm, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy.
United States of America

Re: The Field Guide: The Spiderwick Chronicles Bk 1 - Discus

Postby HyruleBalverine » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:06 pm

HyruleBalverine wrote:
  1. Did you choose to continue the series upon completion of the first book, and if so, how far into the series have you made it?
  2. Have you seen the feature film by Nickelodeon and if so, what do you think of the differences and similarities between the movie and what you've read so far?
  3. What did you think of the chapter naming style (In which... blah, blah, blah)?

1. I have completed the series. Because they were so short compared to the books that I normally read, I mostly read them during breaks at work.
  2. As to be expected when a book is transferred into the visual medium, there are changes for various reasons. Enough is left the same, in my opinion, to warrant keeping the book/series name, but some of the differences were rather blatant. One was quite surprising. I won't say which until we've had a little more discussion because I don't want any spoilers if I'm ahead of anybody here.
  3. I asked this question because I found this unique naming convention to be rather odd. Likely this is because I am so used to the typical naming convention that merely gives a general idea of what the main plot point of the chapter is in as few words as possible. Starting with "in which" each time just struck me as unusual; which of course it is. LOL.
Image Image
New Hound on the Block (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Amazonian (1) Charitable (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Dog didn't eat your homework! (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Jackpot (1) 2000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Gift of Gab (1) The Year In Review (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Philanthropist (1) Colonel Viral (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster L (1) Are We Done Yet? (1) Seriously? (1) One For the Spartans (1) Requiescat In Pace (1)
Brick Breaker (1) Gem in the Rough (1) Love To Swipe (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) Deja Vu I (1) All Rounder 1 (1) Denied (1) Nothing Collector (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Location: Marysville, WA, USA, North America, Sol 3, Sol System, Orion Arm, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy.
United States of America

Postby JelliedBigfoot » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:51 pm

I have not yet read the series, this was the first time I've considered picking it up, but I enjoyed this first entry and see myself reading the next books. I also notice these are very short and east to breeze thru so that is influencing my decision to continue, but I think I'll enjoy it.

Have not seen the film but I would consider it, I recall it being geared towards a younger audience, I could be wrong but you did say it was by Nickelodeon. With that said I would love to see this with an 'Are you afraid of the dark?' overtone, I'd like to see where it goes but they never keep it 100% true to the books because they have they're own motives.
    I thought this was interesting as I had never seen a naming style that tells me what happens building a suspense, but at the same time ruining said suspense. I prefer the vague chapter naming from other books that trigger my brain to speculate what it meant at each turn of the chapter. It was nice to see something different, but like I said it didn't get my curiosity flowing.

My question(s):
  4. Have you played the Videogame based on the game? If you did, did you enjoy it? Did the game feel like a true adaptation of the books, at least pertaining to book one? Did the style of gameplay affect either of these feelings for you?
    I have not yet played the game, but I would assume I'd have mixed feelings about it, especially during the time it was made. A few years ago it seemed like most of the games based on books or movies were shells only created as a money grab and not a nod to the source of the story. I've played enough point and click lately and could use a break, I would think the book one portion would be a point and click but TA states it's an Action - Adventures game so I don't know what to expect, but I like to experience anyway so good or bad I'll probably play it.
Medals: 16
New Hound on the Block (1) Greyhound (1) One Of Us (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) 600 posts (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Donor (1) Captain Viral (1) Silver Viral Gamer (1) Can I Get A Witness? (1) 10 Xbox One Completions (1) Participation Puppy (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
4 pcs.
90 pcs.
50 pcs.
54 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

JelliedBigfoot
Top Dawg

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Cash on hand: 66869
Bank: 146,548.00
United States of America

Postby HyruleBalverine » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:19 pm

JelliedBigfoot wrote:
    My question(s):
  1. Have you played the Videogame based on the game? If you did, did you enjoy it? Did the game feel like a true adaptation of the books, at least pertaining to book one? Did the style of gameplay affect either of these feelings for you?

1. I have not yet played the game. I agree that it was probably just a cash grab; however, even some of the cash grabs were fun as long as you didn't try to take them too seriously.
Image Image
Virtual Shelf:
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

United States of America

Return to Book Club