Achievement Hounds Podcast • View topic - The Dark Tower vol 1: The Gunslinger

The Dark Tower vol 1: The Gunslinger

The Dark Tower vol 1: The Gunslinger

Postby ozbundyboy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:55 pm

Sorry about the delay, here are 4 questions to get things started in the discussion of this book. For a difference I will be inviting other book club members to add their own questions so that this can be a bit more like what I picture a real life book club being like. Also being able to both ask questions as well as posting answers to questions might make it a bit more interesting. I for one would like to be able to see what questions other people come up with and result in my using my noggin to think up answers.

1. What did you think of the interaction between Roland and Brown?

2. Stephen King released a revised and expanded version of this book in 2003. If you have read it did you enjoy the additional dialogue that occurred between Roland and Brown?

3. What did you think of Zoltan?

4. What did you think of the trap that the man in black set up for Roland in Tull?
Medals: 48
Seasoned Hound (1) Experienced Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) Basset Hound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Charitable (1) Broadcaster (1) Helping Paw (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) 4000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Weekly Blogger (1) Progress?? (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Donor (1) Booster CCL (1) Socialite (1) Can I Get A Witness? (1) Been there, Done that (1)
Brick Breaker (1) For Albion! (1) 10 Xbox One Completions (1) Rarefied (1) AHP Competition 1st (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Community Manager (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Scarred For Life (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.
155 pcs.
453 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

ozbundyboy

Community Manager

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Cash on hand: 177055
Bank: 0.00
Australia

Re: The Dark Tower vol 1: The Gunslinger

Postby HyruleBalverine » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:11 pm

I sort of thought that this was an interesting introduction to the world that the story takes place in. I kind of laughed a little, as I read, because we ended up with a flashback within a flashback here.

2. Stephen King released a revised and expanded version of this book in 2003. If you have read it did you enjoy the additional dialogue that occurred between Roland and Brown?
I picked up the Kindle edition, which is the only version I've read; I have no basis for comparison regarding what would have been "additional"

I actually expected there to be more to the crow. There was something about that bird that just screamed out to me that there would be something about it that could be important to or during the story. I wouldn't be surprised to see it again in a future book.

4. What did you think of the trap that the man in black set up for Roland in Tull?
There are definitely worse traps to be in; of course the second part of that trap was a bit less pleasant. It was interesting to see just what the man in black was capable of.

Now, for some more questions:

5. What do you think of the story of Jake and how he came to be in the place Roland found him?

6. What was your reaction to the "talking" rail cart?

7. Do you agree or disagree with young Roland's decision about Hax, and why?

8. Given the same choice between Jake and the Man in Black, which do you think you would have made, and why?
Image Image
Medals: 47
New Hound on the Block (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Amazonian (1) Charitable (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Dog didn't eat your homework! (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Jackpot (1) 2000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Gift of Gab (1) The Year In Review (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Philanthropist (1) Colonel Viral (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster L (1) Are We Done Yet? (1) Seriously? (1) One For the Spartans (1) Requiescat In Pace (1)
Brick Breaker (1) Gem in the Rough (1) Love To Swipe (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) Deja Vu I (1) All Rounder 1 (1) Denied (1) Nothing Collector (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Cash on hand: 85639
Bank: 586,475.00
Location: Marysville, WA, USA, North America, Sol 3, Sol System, Orion Arm, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy.
United States of America

Postby ozbundyboy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:11 am

I liked the way that Roland and Brown interacted with each other as it seemed like a mix of formal introduction with informal chit chat.

I liked the additional dialogue between Roland and Brown as it put a bit more depth into the conversation and made it a bit more interesting. It also helped to give a bit more understanding about the character of Brown.

I found Zoltan to be quite funny and almost childlike in the way that he was more interested in learning the more colorful expressions and the way he was so sarcastic. Just like Roland, I was a bit surprised at the part where Zoltan suddenly quoted "Lead us not into temption"

The trap laid by the man in black was very clever and very well planned. I didn't like the way the trap ended up working, but given that one simple word could unleash such great amount of fury was very intriguing.

5. What do you think of the story of Jake and how he came to be in the place Roland found him?
I thought the story of Jake was very interesting in the way that he couldn't remember and need to be hypnotised by Roland in order to remember. In regards to how Jake ended up in the way station, I found to be a bit disturbing and found myself hoping that karma would get paybacks on the bloke caused it.

6. What was your reaction to the "talking" rail cart?
When I first read it, my reaction was, "Wow, that's so cool". I had a real life experience with something similar several years later whilst on holiday in Toronto when putting rubbish into a bin when the flap automatically opened as I reached forward to put the rubbish in and it said, "Thank you for depositing your rubbish in me" as I walked away.

7. Do you agree or disagree with young Roland's decision about Hax, and why?
I agree with Roland's decision about Hax because it prevented the murder of innocent children that would have eaten the poisoned meat.

8. Given the same choice between Jake and the Man in Black, which do you think you would have made, and why?
Given the same choice between Jake and the Man in Black, I would have picked to save Jake given that I would then still have a companion and knowing that I would catch up with the Man in Black sooner or later.
Medals: 48
Seasoned Hound (1) Experienced Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) Basset Hound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Charitable (1) Broadcaster (1) Helping Paw (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) 4000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Weekly Blogger (1) Progress?? (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Donor (1) Booster CCL (1) Socialite (1) Can I Get A Witness? (1) Been there, Done that (1)
Brick Breaker (1) For Albion! (1) 10 Xbox One Completions (1) Rarefied (1) AHP Competition 1st (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Community Manager (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Scarred For Life (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
155 pcs.
453 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

ozbundyboy

Community Manager

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Cash on hand: 177055
Bank: 0.00
Australia

Postby HyruleBalverine » Sat May 09, 2015 8:43 am

So, um.... what happened to all those people that voted for this in the Book Club thread? Come on guys, let's keep book club alive!
Image Image
Medals: 47
New Hound on the Block (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Amazonian (1) Charitable (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Dog didn't eat your homework! (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Jackpot (1) 2000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Gift of Gab (1) The Year In Review (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Philanthropist (1) Colonel Viral (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster L (1) Are We Done Yet? (1) Seriously? (1) One For the Spartans (1) Requiescat In Pace (1)
Brick Breaker (1) Gem in the Rough (1) Love To Swipe (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) Deja Vu I (1) All Rounder 1 (1) Denied (1) Nothing Collector (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Cash on hand: 85639
Bank: 586,475.00
Location: Marysville, WA, USA, North America, Sol 3, Sol System, Orion Arm, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy.
United States of America

Return to Book Club