Achievement Hounds Podcast • View topic - Odd Thomas - Book Club Discussion Part 1

Odd Thomas - Book Club Discussion Part 1

Odd Thomas - Book Club Discussion Part 1

Postby ozbundyboy » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:51 am

1. What did you think when you first learnt that the name of the main character was indeed Odd Thomas? If you were named in such a fashion, what would you like your name to be?

2. What were your thoughts when reading about the way in which he caught the person who killed Penny Kallisto and the changes to her ghost from the start of the chapter through to when the police arrested her killer?

3. What are your thoughts about Rosalia Sanchez, the lady who needs Odd to verify that she is "visible"?

4. What do you think of the description what it's like being a short order cook?

5. What were your thoughts when you the Bodach's were first introduced into the story?

6. What were your thoughts when Odd was with Stormy while watching Fungus Guy?

7. In relation to the Fungus Guy, what did you think of him and the fact that 3 bodachs were following him?

8. Would you have followed Fungus Guy all the way back to Camp Endy? Why?

9. What did you think when Odd was looking through the house, particularly when h relation to the "Black Room" appearing and then disappearing?

10. Before and after speaking to Karla Porter, the ghost of Elvis does some interesting things? What were your thoughts on these actions? If you were like Odd Thomas, which deceased celebrity would you like to have accompanying you?
Medals: 48
Seasoned Hound (1) Experienced Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) Basset Hound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Charitable (1) Broadcaster (1) Helping Paw (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) 4000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Weekly Blogger (1) Progress?? (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Donor (1) Booster CCL (1) Socialite (1) Can I Get A Witness? (1) Been there, Done that (1)
Brick Breaker (1) For Albion! (1) 10 Xbox One Completions (1) Rarefied (1) AHP Competition 1st (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Community Manager (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Scarred For Life (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.
155 pcs.
453 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

ozbundyboy

Community Manager

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Cash on hand: 177055
Bank: 0.00
Australia

Re: Odd Thomas - Book Club Discussion Part 1

Postby ozbundyboy » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:38 am

1. What did you think when you first learnt that the name of the main character was indeed Odd Thomas? If you were named in such a fashion, what would you like your name to be?

I thought that it was fairly wierd and liked the story that his name was meant to be Todd better than the name Dobb, which almost sounds like Dobby as in the house elf from Harry Potter. My initial thoughts were that Odd Thomas was a nickname and that Thomas was his christian name and not his surname. To be honest with you I'm glad I'm not named in such a fashion based on having a Dutch surname, but if my name was done in a different fashion, I'd like to be named something like Kheldar or Daffyd.

2. What were your thoughts when reading about the way in which he caught the person who killed Penny Kallisto and the changes to her ghost from the start of the chapter through to when the police arrested her killer?

I liked the way that he recognised what Penny's ghost was telling him, and that he was determined to ensure that Harlo was caught and had to answer for his crime. I thought it was interesting the way in which the clues about what appeared in the way they did so it was sort of like watching a mystical detective.

3. What are your thoughts about Rosalia Sanchez, the lady who needs Odd to verify that she is "visible"?

I felt really sorry for her, due to the fact that she seems like a really lovely lady. Given that her hubby died in his sleep and she woke up to find that he had died, then the rest of her family dying in the 9/11 attacks made me understand why she was so worried about not becoming invisible. I thought it was really nice of Odd Thomas to visit her so that she knew she was alive.

4. What do you think of the description what it's like being a short order cook?

The description of being a short order cook sounded really cool, the only downside of was that it made me hungry, and still does each time I read it. When I read it, I really could go for some eggs broken and stretched, or a side of pancakes.

5. What were your thoughts when you the Bodach's were first introduced into the story?

My thoughts when the Bodach's were first introduced into the story was "what the", then after reading what happened to the English kid after telling Odd the term added a few ???'s to the equation. When I read it now, they remind me of something that is a mix of the Dementors from Harry Potter and the Gravelings from Dead Like Me. However they are more like the Gravelings due to the fact that in Dead Like Me, the gravelings always appeared near nasty accidents (except they were the cause)

6. What were your thoughts when Odd was with Stormy while watching Fungus Guy?

I really like the way that Odd and Stormy relate to each other and the way they talk to each other was entertaining. It was funny when Odd referred to the ice cream as Chocolate Cherry Coconut Chunk instead of Cherry Coconut Chocolate Chunk.

7. In relation to the Fungus Guy, what did you think of him and the fact that 3 bodachs were following him?

After learning how the Bodachs are a sign of bad things coming, I was curious as to why they were following him.

8. Would you have followed Fungus Guy all the way back to Camp Endy? Why?

Even though I wouldn't have wanted to follow the guy, curiosity would probabl have gotten the better of me and I would have followed to see where he would go.

9. What did you think when Odd was looking through the house, particularly when h relation to the "Black Room" appearing and then disappearing?

I was a bit nervous when Odd was looking through the house, and in relation to the Black Room, I was thinking, stay away from the dark room. i didn't know why, but it seemed to be something wrong with that room.

10. Before and after speaking to Karla Porter, the ghost of Elvis does some interesting things? What were your thoughts on these actions? If you were like Odd Thomas, which deceased celebrity would you like to have accompanying you?

I think ghost Elvis's actions before and after Odd spoke to Karla Porter was a sign that something bad was going to happen. If I was like Odd Thomas and had the spirt or ghost of a deceased celebrity keeping me company, I would like that ghost to be Rik Mayall because he was a super funny comedian and he would probably make my days better.
Seasoned Hound (1) Experienced Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) Basset Hound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Charitable (1) Broadcaster (1) Helping Paw (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) 4000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Weekly Blogger (1) Progress?? (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Donor (1) Booster CCL (1) Socialite (1) Can I Get A Witness? (1) Been there, Done that (1)
Brick Breaker (1) For Albion! (1) 10 Xbox One Completions (1) Rarefied (1) AHP Competition 1st (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Community Manager (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Scarred For Life (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
155 pcs.
453 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

ozbundyboy

Community Manager

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Australia

Postby HyruleBalverine » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:16 pm

Wow... nobody has answered any questions yet? I'm not very far into the book yet, but I'll answer as best as I can.

ozbundyboy wrote:1. What did you think when you first learnt that the name of the main character was indeed Odd Thomas? If you were named in such a fashion, what would you like your name to be?

I was a bit surprised. When he said his name was Odd Thomas, I just assumed that "Odd" was a nickname and Thomas was his first name; like "Weird" Al Yankovic. Given that my last name is "Smith", I would imagine that something like "Black", "Silver", "Gold", etc., would make for an amusing name, but it would be cool to be "Super" or something like that.

ozbundyboy wrote:2. What were your thoughts when reading about the way in which he caught the person who killed Penny Kallisto and the changes to her ghost from the start of the chapter through to when the police arrested her killer?

Not knowing anything about the book yet (I didn't read the cover flap info on Amazon.com for the book specifically to avoid any foreknowledge on the story) so I was rather surprised to learn that Penny was, in fact, a ghost. I had thought that Penny was just "Odd" like Odd Thomas and that perhaps these two had tome sort of psychic abilities. The fact that the author did not make this clear until afterwards, to me at least, made the little twist in the story a great introduction into what's going to happen.

ozbundyboy wrote:3. What are your thoughts about Rosalia Sanchez, the lady who needs Odd to verify that she is "visible"?

That really is quite the coping mechanism that the woman has. It's really nice of Odd to help her out like that each day.

ozbundyboy wrote:4. What do you think of the description what it's like being a short order cook?

I've worked as a cook in restaurants; I found the description to be rather amusing but not inaccurate.

ozbundyboy wrote:5. What were your thoughts when you the Bodach's were first introduced into the story?

My mind immediately went to the scene in "Ghost" where the shadows dragged bad people's souls into hell (or wherever they went).

ozbundyboy wrote:6. What were your thoughts when Odd was with Stormy while watching Fungus Guy?

I liked the interaction between the two. I'm curious to see how their relationship continues to play out through the story.I

ozbundyboy wrote:7. In relation to the Fungus Guy, what did you think of him and the fact that 3 bodachs were following him?

It makes me extremely curious to find out what this guy has planned.

ozbundyboy wrote:8. Would you have followed Fungus Guy all the way back to Camp Endy? Why?

Me, not a chance. I don't think I have it in me to do that. Of course, I also don't have Odd's gift/curse to drive me to it.

ozbundyboy wrote:9. What did you think when Odd was looking through the house, particularly when h relation to the "Black Room" appearing and then disappearing?

At first, I thought that Fungus Man had created some sort of machine that was altering the fabric of time/space either by design or accident. The thought that it was a supernatural disturbance created by the entrance of bodachs makes me a little nervous at what Bob Robertson (Fungus Man) has in store for the town / world that so many bodachs breach our reality in his study.

ozbundyboy wrote:10. Before and after speaking to Karla Porter, the ghost of Elvis does some interesting things? What were your thoughts on these actions? If you were like Odd Thomas, which deceased celebrity would you like to have accompanying you?

I haven't yet reached a point in the story where Elvis speaks with Karla, so I cannot comment there. As far as celebrities accompanying me, I'd like somebody like Bruce Lee (assuming of course that I could communicate with him) so that I could have him motivate me to get into shape and be trained by him in martial arts.
Image Image
Medals: 47
New Hound on the Block (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Amazonian (1) Charitable (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Dog didn't eat your homework! (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Jackpot (1) 2000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Gift of Gab (1) The Year In Review (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Philanthropist (1) Colonel Viral (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster L (1) Are We Done Yet? (1) Seriously? (1) One For the Spartans (1) Requiescat In Pace (1)
Brick Breaker (1) Gem in the Rough (1) Love To Swipe (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) Deja Vu I (1) All Rounder 1 (1) Denied (1) Nothing Collector (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Cash on hand: 85639
Bank: 586,475.00
Location: Marysville, WA, USA, North America, Sol 3, Sol System, Orion Arm, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy.
United States of America

Postby ozbundyboy » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:33 pm

HyruleBalverine wrote:
ozbundyboy wrote:10. Before and after speaking to Karla Porter, the ghost of Elvis does some interesting things? What were your thoughts on these actions? If you were like Odd Thomas, which deceased celebrity would you like to have accompanying you?

I haven't yet reached a point in the story where Elvis speaks with Karla, so I cannot comment there. As far as celebrities accompanying me, I'd like somebody like Bruce Lee (assuming of course that I could communicate with him) so that I could have him motivate me to get into shape and be trained by him in martial arts.

To clarify this question, to make it easier for you to answer, I mean "Before and after Odd Thomas has his conversation with Karla Porter", that Elvis's ghost does some interesting things.
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
155 pcs.
453 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

ozbundyboy

Community Manager

Australia

Postby xiaozhengzheng » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:53 pm

2018-11-14 xiaozhengzheng
coach outlet online
adidas outlet store
nfl jerseys wholesale
pandora jewelry
kate spade outlet store
michael kors outlet