Achievement Hounds Podcast • View topic - World War Z Book Discussion - Questions to get us started

World War Z Book Discussion - Questions to get us started

World War Z Book Discussion - Questions to get us started

Postby HyruleBalverine » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:23 pm

Hey everybody. It appears that we may not be getting questions for the current Book Club book, World War Z, what with Chupa being gone and all. So, I figured that I'd try my hand at posting a few in order to allow us to have some discussion of the book. I'm o theynly about 40% into the book so far, so I hope that my questions aren't too bad. :D

Remember, this is a discussion and not everybody will be at the same point in the story, so expect that there may be spoilers contained within answers. This is your only spoiler warning/alert.

Now, onto the questions:

1. What do you think about the style the story is written in? Is this better or worse than the traditional way of writing a story? Why?
  2. Which of the accounts / events described in the book stand out to you the most and why?
  3. There are some harrowing tales of heroism in the story; do you think that you'd be able to commit such acts of self-sacrifice were the events in the story to happen in real life?
  4. Have you seen the movie? Do you think that the book's style would have worked in film format, or perhaps as a TV series?

I'll wait for a couple of people to answer and then post my answers. Remember, this is a discussion, so feel free to comment on each other's responses.
Image Image
Medals: 47
New Hound on the Block (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Amazonian (1) Charitable (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Dog didn't eat your homework! (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Jackpot (1) 2000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Gift of Gab (1) The Year In Review (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Philanthropist (1) Colonel Viral (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster L (1) Are We Done Yet? (1) Seriously? (1) One For the Spartans (1) Requiescat In Pace (1)
Brick Breaker (1) Gem in the Rough (1) Love To Swipe (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) Deja Vu I (1) All Rounder 1 (1) Denied (1) Nothing Collector (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Cash on hand: 85639
Bank: 572,172.00
Location: Marysville, WA, USA, North America, Sol 3, Sol System, Orion Arm, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy.
United States of America

Re: World War Z Book Discussion - Questions to get us starte

Postby ozbundyboy » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:40 pm

Thanks for taking the initiative in relation to this discussion Hyrule, It's been over a month since I read the book, which has now been returned to my local libary. I can't remember everything from the book but here are my answers to the questions so far:-

1. What do you think about the style the story is written in? Is this better or worse than the traditional way of writing a story? Why?
It took me a while to get into the book, however once I did I found it to be more like a documentary in written form. In ways it was like a large group of short stories in the one story but all about the same thing, and the way it gave different viewpoints about the zombie war actually made it more interesting. I liked the style but I don't think it is better or worse than traditional way of telling a story. I think that the style of story telling needs to reflect the nature of the story being told.

2. Which of the accounts/events described in the book stand out to you the the most and why?
The accounts that stand out the most to me in the book would be the Japanese guy's account of how he escaped his apartment building and didn't give up. The way he found the courage/strength to keep going even after barely eating, and how he managed to team up with the blind guy was really good. I also found the story about the guy who trained the dog to be particularly interesting and heart warming given that he showed that it wasn't just humans that were affected.

3. There are some harrowing tales of heroism in the story, do you think that you'd be able to commit such acts of self-sacrifice were the events in the story to happen in real life?
I honestly don't know if I would be able to perform any of the acts of self sarfice from the story if this was to happen in real life, I think I would either be too terrified to act or not have enough ability to do anything other than flee. I would like to think that if it came to the crunch that I would be brave enough to do something to help protect my friends or family.

4. Have you seen the movie? Do you think that the books style would have work in film format, or perhaps as a TV series?
I haven't seen the movie yet, and think it might be worth watching. I don't think the books format would have worked as a movie and it would have made for a better tv series as it could show more of the main character interviewing the people and then showing in flashbacks what happened for each person who is interviewed. This way it could show the story how it effected everyone on the planet in a better way. Most movies tend to show everything from the one point of view and the book shows what happen from the point of view of many people. From what I've seen of the trailer for the movie it seems like they movie is about one person's character only and tells the story but not in the way that Max Brooks wrote it.
Medals: 48
Seasoned Hound (1) Experienced Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) Basset Hound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Charitable (1) Broadcaster (1) Helping Paw (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) 4000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Weekly Blogger (1) Progress?? (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Donor (1) Booster CCL (1) Socialite (1) Can I Get A Witness? (1) Been there, Done that (1)
Brick Breaker (1) For Albion! (1) 10 Xbox One Completions (1) Rarefied (1) AHP Competition 1st (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Community Manager (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Scarred For Life (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
155 pcs.
453 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

ozbundyboy

Community Manager

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Cash on hand: 177055
Bank: 0.00
Australia

Postby HyruleBalverine » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:09 pm

You're welcome, Oz. I'm hoping we can get a good discussion going and maybe come up with a book for the group to read next.

I've also had difficulty getting into the book. As I mentioned, I'm only about 40% into the book. If the stories being told were longer, like actual short stories, I'd be able to get into them more. I've read several books full of short stories and have had no lack of enjoyment with them. Personally, I'd prefer stories where I can develop a connection with the characters and this book doesn't allow you enough time with the multitude of characters for that to happen.
  2. Which of the accounts / events described in the book stand out to you the most and why?
    Some of the accounts that stuck out to me the most were: 1) the guy talking about the "planner" who had created the apartheid plan in South Africa and was hired to create a similar plan for the Zombies.... then it turns out that the guy telling the story is him living in an asylum; 2) the woman working in the park in Canada, telling the story of how her family travelled north and how they worked to survive, and the current clean up efforts in that Canadian park; and 3) the guy talking about the DeStRes organization and plan. These stuck out to me because they seemed to delve into the emotions of these characters and, in the case of the DeStRes plan for rebuilding, showed the ingenuity and potential of people in tough situations.
  3. There are some harrowing tales of heroism in the story; do you think that you'd be able to commit such acts of self-sacrifice were the events in the story to happen in real life?
    I've read a number of stories and comics and seen a number of superhero shows and movies; I've always wanted to be able to be like those people. I can only hope that in such a situation, I'd be brave or strong enough to risk it all for the benefit of somebody else.
  4. Have you seen the movie? Do you think that the book's style would have worked in film format, or perhaps as a TV series?
    The movie was done in the more traditional style, though it you watch, you'll notice it try to be a little like the book, as people tell Brad Pitt's character stories about events as he searches for the source and a cure (much like the reporter in the book collects stories). Some of the stories are even very much like those in the book. If they were to do something visual based on the book, I think that I tv series would be best; something in the vein of Metal Hurlant Chronicles or The Outer Limits, where there are different stories each week that may or may not tie into one another.
Image Image
Medals: 47
New Hound on the Block (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Amazonian (1) Charitable (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Dog didn't eat your homework! (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Jackpot (1) 2000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Gift of Gab (1) The Year In Review (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Philanthropist (1) Colonel Viral (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster L (1) Are We Done Yet? (1) Seriously? (1) One For the Spartans (1) Requiescat In Pace (1)
Brick Breaker (1) Gem in the Rough (1) Love To Swipe (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) Deja Vu I (1) All Rounder 1 (1) Denied (1) Nothing Collector (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Cash on hand: 85639
Bank: 572,172.00
Location: Marysville, WA, USA, North America, Sol 3, Sol System, Orion Arm, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy.
United States of America

Postby Freamwhole » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:20 am

It has also been a while since I've read this book, but it is my all time favorite. Some of the details get lost, but I always "fantasize" about a world with the threat of zombies. More on this later. To the questions:

What do you think about the style the story is written in? Is this better or worse than the traditional way of writing a story? Why?
I don't read. Its not my thing. So not only does this book fit my style, I appreciated the little vignettes with the over arching themes. I also work in the science field, so despite having a narrative it still maintained a little of the "tell it like it is / data collection / journalist" approach - with enough human interest to stay captivating.

Which of the accounts / events described in the book stand out to you the most and why?
The blind guy stood out to me. And the Battle of Yonkers was a particularly juicy section. The one that probably sticks out the most was a very short section, but when they talked about the "Reality" TV show set watching the news and reacting to it. Only to have it broadcast that they are in a relatively safe spot, then it is over run with people trying to find shelter, followed by the zeds. I kept thinking to myself this is exactly how real life would behave. You would have idiots broadcasting trivial entertainment and people would react as it was written. Its the familiar saying "A PERSON can be smart, but PEOPLE are stupid". I think many of those early stories about the onset of the "war" were spot on - people reacting impulsively and often irrationally where as some found ways to be successful because they put some thought into their actions. Going back to the Battle of Yonkers - the idea of broadcasting "America's most potent retaliation" and pulling out all the big guns and explosives - only to have the horde walk right through it and then the ensuing panic. Brilliant.

There are some harrowing tales of heroism in the story; do you think that you'd be able to commit such acts of self-sacrifice were the events in the story to happen in real life?
I have been thinking about how I would react if this scenario happens for quite some time. This refers to the "fantasy" were events similar to these happen - where would I go, what do I need to grab. I've got a wife and two kids and I would do pretty much anything to keep them alive, and so I think that may include some morally compromising scenarios. When push comes to shove though - could I actually do it? Not sure. I definitely would try and find a small group - I don't necessarily have enough faith in people to consistently do their "job" in a larger group setting.

Have you seen the movie? Do you think that the book's style would have worked in film format, or perhaps as a TV series?
I have seen the movie - I loved it. I appreciate the fact that they did not try to force the book style into this movie. I think it would have failed. The book's ending would have been dreadful for a movie - I don't think you could capture on screen what your imagination could do. What the movie did do well was the scenes where it showed the flood of zombies and how they moved. This was captured very well on screen and visually very appealing to me. Not sure if anyone saw the "Deadliest Warrior" program where they pit zombies against vampires. I won't go into it here, but Max Brooks was the "expert" they conferred with regarding zombies and he brought up a good point regarding the capabilities of zombies. Namely that since zombies are essentially humans - they would be capable of everything a human could do (the fresh ones at least) without the consequence of pain. So they could bite through bones because they wouldn't be restricted by pain - only the physical threshold of jaw and teeth strength. If the jaw or teeth broke - oh well - didn't work. Crushed under a pile of bodies, oh well. Jumping full speed off a building - no worries - I'm uninhibited by that brain that tells me what my limits are. The last thing I will say about the movie vs. the book is the "resolution" of the movie. This, as I recall, is no where referenced in the book. Whether that came from script writers/story editors or Max Brooks himself - I think it added a very interesting dynamic to the movie and helped keep the movie focused.
I could see a TV series set up like "True Detective" / "American Horror Story " or other UK based shows where it is established that we are going to tell a story in 8 episodes and it will stand alone. I think individual 1 hour / 2 hour shows wouldn't allow for character development, but a long season could drag on - like The Walking Dead some times.
Living the dream (because I'm always half asleep)
Medals: 25
New Hound on the Block (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) Amazonian (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) 2000 Posts (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Progress?? (1) Representative (1) Community Cast Star (1) Booster X (1) Boosting Medley (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
58 pcs.
126 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Freamwhole
Top Dawg

Cash on hand: 9393
Bank: 760,995.00
United States of America

Postby spankynspronkle » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:06 pm

Took me a bit of time to really get into the book since it felt choppy, but I really enjoyed the style once I got into it a little further. Felt like I was reading a collection of stories that a journalist had captured, which was the intent of the author in the first place. It was definitely unique...

2. Which of the accounts/events described in the book stand out to you the the most and why?
While it was a while since I read it, some of the things that stuck with me where the involvement of animals and their owners as well as the tough decisions that had to be made along the way... which we would all undoubtedly would have had to make if we were in such a predicament.

3. There are some harrowing tales of heroism in the story, do you think that you'd be able to commit such acts of self-sacrifice were the events in the story to happen in real life?
I think it's hard to imagine until you are really in that situation... and that goes for anything in life. It's easy to talk the talk, but walking the walk is another story! I think I would have the courage to do what needed to be done when it comes to family and friends. Unfortunately, it comes down to "whoever falls behind is left behind" for those who are not direct family and friends (or part of a group)

4. Have you seen the movie? Do you think that the books style would have work in film format, or perhaps as a TV series?
I haven't seen the movie yet, but it's sitting on my coffee table. Will definitely check back afterwards, but I was told it's nothing like the book at all....which kind of makes sense given the books style.
Medals: 59
Experienced Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Charitable (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Halfway There (1) Jackpot (1) Code Cracker (1) 3000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Month Long Informer (1) Intern Blogger (1) Progress?? (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Donor (1) Colonel Viral (1) Silver Viral Gamer (1) Booster XX (1) Monotonous Yet Diverse (1)
May The Forza Be With You (1) The Booster Seat (1) Love To Swipe (1) First! (1) Deja Vu I (1) 30 Xbox One Completions (1) Denied (1) Eaglemaniac (1) Down, Fido (1) BFF (1) Sandwich Lover (1) Gun Hoarder (1) Points to Burn (1) Nothing Collector (1) The Collector (1) Rarefied (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Community Manager (1) Free Falling (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List Participant (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
22 pcs.
120 pcs.
10 pcs.
137 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

spankynspronkle

Community Manager

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Cash on hand: 0
Bank: 717,076.00
United States of America

Postby Mattism » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:26 pm

I like the way that the author chose to write this book. I was based on a person perspective through the zombie appocolypes. They don’t all seem like they mesh well together at times but in the end you see the whole painting and just the area you are focused on. I don’t think that this style is better or worse than any other style. It works well depending on what you are trying to do with a story. I think that it worked well for this book just as it works for the Game of Thrones series.

Some the things that stand out from the book are just how the whole thing got start. A country like China that is closed off and refuses to admit anything seems a logical place for this to happen and then for it to be classified as African Rabies because it was not understood in Africa was something that sticks with me. I kept thinking isn’t anyone going to try and look a little deeper other than calling it rabies? Some of the other evens would include the famous Indian general making the last stand and blowing the bridge to the different countries falling back and making their stands in easily defensible areas. They basically gave up huge portions of their countries and people so that specific people could survive while they figured out how to fight back.

It really is hard to say what I would do in real life. You would like to think that if it came down to it you would be willing and able to make such a sacrifice but it is something that is hard to do. Not everyone has it in them. It takes someone who is selfless and a lot of use are not or at least not willing to give the last little bit to make that sacrifice.

To say that this book and the movie have anything in common would be stretching it. The only thing that this book and the movie have in common is that they have the same name and they have a form of zombies (i.e. Zeds) in them. By the way the movie was ok if you just pretended you never read the book. To me this book would have worked better in a TV series better than a movie. There is just so much to cover in the book that any movie would have to cut a lot out to make it work. Movies like to focus on a single person and not hop around where as a TV show can focus on different story lines and make it all work out.
Medals: 45
Experienced Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) One Of Us (1) Charitable (1) Broadcaster (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Majority Shareholder (1) C.E.O. (1) Dog didn't eat your homework! (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Jackpot (1) 1000 posts (1) Street Team (1) First Time Caller (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Benefactor (1) Gold Viral Gamer (1) Booster CCL (1) Eat, Sleep, Boost, Repeat (1) Let's Finish This!! (1) Been there, Done that (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) The Veteran (1) Brick Breaker (1) Violence in Silence (1) A Real Hero (1) Top 10 (1) A True Jedi (1)
Rarefied (1) Consigliere (1) AHPM Thirds Place (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Free Falling (1) 2012 E3 Swagtacular Entrant (1) Scarred For Life (1) To Do List Participant (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
307 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
2 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
340 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Mattism

Boosting Coordinator

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Cash on hand: 739894
Bank: 583,489.00
United States of America

Return to Book Club