Achievement Hounds Podcast • View topic - What's the scoop with "Book Club"?

What's the scoop with "Book Club"?

What's the scoop with "Book Club"?

Postby HyruleBalverine » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:29 pm

Hi there;

I'm new to Achievement Hounds and the idea of a "Book Club" intrigues me. I'm assuming that the books are supposed to be tied to the games in some way because I see that BioShock: Rapture is one that was listed; good book, by the way. Are we supposed to suggest books for other members to read or are we supposed to all read the same book as suggested by some group leader?

As far as Video Game related books so far, I've read:
BioShock: Rapture;
Dead Space: Martyr;
Fable: The Balverine Order; Fable: Blood Ties; Fable: Edge of the World;
Gears of War: Aspho Fields; Gears of War: Jacinto's Remnant; Gears of War: Anvil Gate;
Halo: The Fall of Reach; Halo: The Flood;and Halo: First Strike.

Note that this list doesn't include all books that I've read, such as the Eragon series, if you want to count that as "Video game"' related (there is a game based on the film, which is based on the book), books in the Magic: The Gathering series; books related to comic book superheroes; Star Trek and Star Wars books, etc.

I just purchased Assassin's Creed: Renaissance by Oliver Bowden, but have yet to start it.
Image Image
Medals: 47
New Hound on the Block (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Amazonian (1) Charitable (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Dog didn't eat your homework! (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Jackpot (1) 2000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Gift of Gab (1) The Year In Review (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Philanthropist (1) Colonel Viral (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster L (1) Are We Done Yet? (1) Seriously? (1) One For the Spartans (1) Requiescat In Pace (1)
Brick Breaker (1) Gem in the Rough (1) Love To Swipe (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) Deja Vu I (1) All Rounder 1 (1) Denied (1) Nothing Collector (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Cash on hand: 85639
Bank: 572,172.00
Location: Marysville, WA, USA, North America, Sol 3, Sol System, Orion Arm, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy.
United States of America

Re: What's the scoop with "Book Club"?

Postby Mattism » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:43 am

We started book club with the hopes of doing books that were tied to video games on a monthly basis. After doing it for a year or so we have decided that books dont always have to be tied to a game cause we had some stinkers and that we were going to space it out by two months. Our current discussion is Old Man's War which is a great book. We just started talking about it so if you want to read the book and participate you still have plenty of time. The next book is World War Z which will be discussed in May. We are always open to book suggestions. I have not decided yet what will be after World War Z.
Medals: 45
Experienced Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) One Of Us (1) Charitable (1) Broadcaster (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Majority Shareholder (1) C.E.O. (1) Dog didn't eat your homework! (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Jackpot (1) 1000 posts (1) Street Team (1) First Time Caller (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Benefactor (1) Gold Viral Gamer (1) Booster CCL (1) Eat, Sleep, Boost, Repeat (1) Let's Finish This!! (1) Been there, Done that (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) The Veteran (1) Brick Breaker (1) Violence in Silence (1) A Real Hero (1) Top 10 (1) A True Jedi (1)
Rarefied (1) Consigliere (1) AHPM Thirds Place (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Free Falling (1) 2012 E3 Swagtacular Entrant (1) Scarred For Life (1) To Do List Participant (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
307 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
2 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
340 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Mattism

Boosting Coordinator

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Cash on hand: 739894
Bank: 583,489.00
United States of America

Postby HyruleBalverine » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:04 pm

I'll look for Old Man's War (and World War Z) on my Kindle. Might I suggest "Ender's Game" as the next book? It might be fresh in people's mind as it was just a movie, or "Zorro" by Isabel Allende?
Image Image
New Hound on the Block (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Amazonian (1) Charitable (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Dog didn't eat your homework! (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Jackpot (1) 2000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Gift of Gab (1) The Year In Review (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Philanthropist (1) Colonel Viral (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster L (1) Are We Done Yet? (1) Seriously? (1) One For the Spartans (1) Requiescat In Pace (1)
Brick Breaker (1) Gem in the Rough (1) Love To Swipe (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) Deja Vu I (1) All Rounder 1 (1) Denied (1) Nothing Collector (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Location: Marysville, WA, USA, North America, Sol 3, Sol System, Orion Arm, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy.
United States of America

Postby ozbundyboy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:43 am

I enjoyed Old Man's War so much I've started on reading The Ghost Brigades
Medals: 48
Seasoned Hound (1) Experienced Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) Basset Hound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Charitable (1) Broadcaster (1) Helping Paw (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) 4000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Weekly Blogger (1) Progress?? (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Donor (1) Booster CCL (1) Socialite (1) Can I Get A Witness? (1) Been there, Done that (1)
Brick Breaker (1) For Albion! (1) 10 Xbox One Completions (1) Rarefied (1) AHP Competition 1st (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Community Manager (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Scarred For Life (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
155 pcs.
453 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

ozbundyboy

Community Manager

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Cash on hand: 177055
Bank: 0.00
Australia

Postby Mattism » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:47 am

HyruleBalverine wrote:I'll look for Old Man's War (and World War Z) on my Kindle. Might I suggest "Ender's Game" as the next book? It might be fresh in people's mind as it was just a movie, or "Zorro" by Isabel Allende?

Been there and done that one already. Great book.
Medals: 45
Experienced Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) One Of Us (1) Charitable (1) Broadcaster (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Majority Shareholder (1) C.E.O. (1) Dog didn't eat your homework! (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Jackpot (1) 1000 posts (1) Street Team (1) First Time Caller (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Benefactor (1) Gold Viral Gamer (1) Booster CCL (1) Eat, Sleep, Boost, Repeat (1) Let's Finish This!! (1) Been there, Done that (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) The Veteran (1) Brick Breaker (1) Violence in Silence (1) A Real Hero (1) Top 10 (1) A True Jedi (1)
Rarefied (1) Consigliere (1) AHPM Thirds Place (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Free Falling (1) 2012 E3 Swagtacular Entrant (1) Scarred For Life (1) To Do List Participant (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
307 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
2 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
340 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Mattism

Boosting Coordinator

Cash on hand: 739894
Bank: 583,489.00
United States of America

Postby ozbundyboy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:07 pm

I'd like to suggest Odd Thomas by Dean R Koontz based on the fact that the movie is coming out on dvd soon.
Seasoned Hound (1) Experienced Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) Basset Hound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Charitable (1) Broadcaster (1) Helping Paw (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) 4000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Weekly Blogger (1) Progress?? (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Donor (1) Booster CCL (1) Socialite (1) Can I Get A Witness? (1) Been there, Done that (1)
Brick Breaker (1) For Albion! (1) 10 Xbox One Completions (1) Rarefied (1) AHP Competition 1st (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Community Manager (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Scarred For Life (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
155 pcs.
453 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

ozbundyboy

Community Manager

Australia

Postby HyruleBalverine » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:04 am

So, now that I've picked up the current book, "Old Man's War", how far into it do I need to be in order to honestly answer the 04 March 2014 questions?
Image Image
Virtual Shelf:
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

United States of America

Postby ozbundyboy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:44 pm

HyruleBalverine wrote:So, now that I've picked up the current book, "Old Man's War", how far into it do I need to be in order to honestly answer the 04 March 2014 questions?

I think you would have to read between 1/4 and 1/2 of the book to be able to answer the current questions. I think if you enjoy the book as much as I did, you will have trouble putting it down though.
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
155 pcs.
453 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

ozbundyboy

Community Manager

Australia

Postby HyruleBalverine » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:07 am

So here's a dumb question;

If I were to read the books for previous Book Club selections, (some of which I already have, others I'll likely read anyways), would I still get participation credit if I were to answer the appropriate questions? To be honest, I'm just looking for something to do to keep myself busy and working on the older book club items seems like it might be entertaining for a little while.
Image Image
Virtual Shelf:
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

United States of America

Postby ozbundyboy » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:09 am

I think it would be too late to earn dog bones for participating in older book clubs at this stage but there's nothing stopping you from sharing your two bob's worth in relation to the books as it would be interesting to read another person's thoughts and it might also inspire some more discussion about these books, it might even motivate me to find one of the books that I haven't read from them and join in some belated participation.
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
155 pcs.
453 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

ozbundyboy

Community Manager

Australia

Postby HyruleBalverine » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:24 am

Oh, I wasn't even thinking about the dog bones, but good point on that. I've just always had this... um... let's call it a 'meticulous' .... attitude and like to try to get / complete everything (You know, it's like pokemon; "gotta cacth 'em all"), so I was thinking of getting credit towards the book club medals. I honestly didn't think that they would count, as I expect that only current books would likely be acceptable for medal credit, but it's worth asking, right? Either way, I expect I will end up reading (or re-reading) the previous books just to add my two cents worth to the discussions and get practice in being active on the site.
Image Image
Virtual Shelf:
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

United States of America

Postby ozbundyboy » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:26 am

To be honest I don't know if belatedly joining the older discussions will earn you credit towards the medal for participating in 5 book club discussions. It was a very interesting question nonetheless and has given me something to think about.

In relation to the older discussions, I'm happy to read some of the older books (I took part in the discussion for Metro 2033, I wanted to read Halo Cryptum but didn't find the book until a few months after the book club read that one) that I didn't participate in at the same time as you so that you aren't the only late person in participating in this (I'd have to find the books at my library).
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
155 pcs.
453 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

ozbundyboy

Community Manager

Australia

Postby HyruleBalverine » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:50 pm

Yeah, I'm going to have to start looking for some of those books. I'll probably start with the oldest discussion and work my way forward. In the meantime, you keep thinking on that and let me know when you've come to a decision, one way or the other.
Image Image
Virtual Shelf:
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

United States of America

Postby ozbundyboy » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:33 pm

HyruleBalverine wrote:Yeah, I'm going to have to start looking for some of those books. I'll probably start with the oldest discussion and work my way forward. In the meantime, you keep thinking on that and let me know when you've come to a decision, one way or the other.

What I will do when I think of something is run it by chupaMama and griffey before making any decision based on the fact that they have been in their positions longer than me. Another thing you could do is either post something in the questions and suggestions forum or send a private message with the suggestion to myself, chupaMama, griffey95 and mattism, so that it can be discussed. It would probably be something that need to be discussed between all the community managers or even have the input of other people who have participated in previous book club discussions. It might be a way to get retroactive participation.
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
155 pcs.
453 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

ozbundyboy

Community Manager

Australia

Postby HyruleBalverine » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:13 pm

See? I've learned something new. They say that you learn something new everyday, right? I didn't even think about you having to run it up the flag pole, as it were. I had only thought about asking for an update if or when a decision had been made. Like I said, I expect that I will end up reading the books anyways, and may still post in the discussion threads regardless of credit or not. I will go ahead and post this question in the "Questions and Suggestions" forum.
Image Image
Virtual Shelf:
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

United States of America

Return to Book Club