Achievement Hounds Podcast • View topic - Old Man's War Book Discussion -- New Questions

Old Man's War Book Discussion -- New Questions

Old Man's War Book Discussion -- New Questions

Postby Mattism » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:14 pm

I want to try and have a little more discussion with this book then we have had in the past. I know those are high hopes but it is what I am going for with this book and some of the questions. So when you answer these questions try to give a little more or at least comment on other peoples comments. I am going to try and keep all the questions in this thread instead of creating new threads so always come back and check out the quests. I will answer the questions after I get a couple responses.

1. Would you do like John did and sign up to go off to the military at the age of 75 without know exactly what you were getting into?
2. What do you think about the CDF and their recruitment of seniors?
3. Would you still cling to your past like John does with his wife or would you just let it all go and use the recruitment as a new fresh start?
4. What did you think about the process they went through to get upgraded to their new selves?
5. Talk to be a little about the BrainPal and how you feel about it.

--------- Questions set 2 --------

6. Did you like their explanation about why they choose old people to become soldiers? Tell me a little about the how you feel about that and the odds of survival.
7. What did you think about Master Sergeant Ruiz? Do you think that he was still the stereotypical drill sergeant? Talk a little about Ruiz and Johns relationship and join becoming the platoon leader.
8. After boot camp we get into the story more about John and his fight’s with different alien species. Which one did you find the most interesting? Of all the different types of deaths that were talked about which way would you not want to go out?
9. Do you think it would be easy to lose your humanity after being changed and fight so many different races?

FINAL QUESTIONS

10. How would you feel being the only person to survive in your squad? Out of your entire invading force?
11. Talk a little about the Ghost Brigade and what you think of them. Do you think that all the soldiers should be grown that way or do you think that the way they are currently doing it is the way to go?
12. Talk a little about John and Jane.
13. Tell me what you think of the Consu. What do you think about the in general? Do you understand them? What about John and the Ghost Brigades visit? Them helping the Rraey?
14. Talk a little about the Rraey .
15. Talk a little about John at the end of the book and what you think will happen with him going forward.
16. Do you want to read the rest of the series?

Any final thoughts or questions you want to talk about?

Anyone have any questions they would like to ask and answer?
Last edited by Mattism on Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Medals: 45
Experienced Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) One Of Us (1) Charitable (1) Broadcaster (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Majority Shareholder (1) C.E.O. (1) Dog didn't eat your homework! (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Jackpot (1) 1000 posts (1) Street Team (1) First Time Caller (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Benefactor (1) Gold Viral Gamer (1) Booster CCL (1) Eat, Sleep, Boost, Repeat (1) Let's Finish This!! (1) Been there, Done that (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) The Veteran (1) Brick Breaker (1) Violence in Silence (1) A Real Hero (1) Top 10 (1) A True Jedi (1)
Rarefied (1) Consigliere (1) AHPM Thirds Place (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Free Falling (1) 2012 E3 Swagtacular Entrant (1) Scarred For Life (1) To Do List Participant (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
307 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
2 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
340 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Mattism

Boosting Coordinator

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Cash on hand: 739894
Bank: 598,075.00
United States of America

Re: Old Man's War Book Discussion

Postby buffs » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:17 pm

1. Would you do like John did and sign up to go off to the military at the age of 75 without know exactly what you were getting into?

I think if I was in a similar situation that John was I would do it. If my wife passed away and I had nothing else to live for and my time was coming to a close. Why not take the plunge for a chance at a new adventure and chance to start over.. It would be a little scary but overall I would jump at the chance to do something new and different especially at that age.

I think it makes sense. Target the people who are dying off and at the end of their life cycle. The opportunity for one last great adventure and chance to live a few more years would be what people in that demographic were looking for at that time of their life.

3. Would you still cling to your past like John does with his wife or would you just let it all go and use the recruitment as a new fresh start?

I think it would be hard to not cling to his past. His wife was his best friend/soul mate for decades if you are with someone that long it is hard to let go if you are truly in love with them, and even then it would still be hard to just give up everything you did in your 75+ years on Earth. It is what makes humans different in we are sentimental and have nostalgia about certain events,places, items, etc. While you could opt for a fresh start it would be extremely difficult to not take at least a part of who you were on Earth with you.

4. What did you think about the process they went through to get upgraded to their new selves?

Honestly, it would freak me out! I mean its a chance to get a super duper upgraded version of yourself but it would still be very trippy to see a clone of yourself (upgraded of course) wheeled in to the chair next to you and be told that is the new you. For better or for worse once you were at that stage of the process their was no backing out.

I think it would be pretty sweet to have a super computer inside your head. The ability to get information that quick would be overwhelming at first but after a while it would be a neat device to have with you. The ability of it gradually becoming a part of you and changing the way you live life would be pretty sweet as well. Kind of like you see people with their smart phones all the time now you don't realize how much you use it for stuff you could barely do on a computer 20 years ago. Now we are holding a mini-computer in our hands. With Google glass coming to the forefront I think it won't be too long until we have something like this that keeps us all connected. The Brainpal was an essential part of what made the CDF so effective and the ability to synchronize with other people would be an interesting ordeal to say the least..
Medals: 32
Seasoned Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) One Of Us (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Literate (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) 1000 posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Guest Star (1) Community Cast Star (1) Donor (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster C (1) Okay, Maybe One More... (1) Can I Get A Witness? (1) Human Polygraph (1) The Booster Seat (1) Eaglemaniac (1) AHP Competition 2nd (1) Viral Games Manager (1) 2012 E3 Swagtacular Entrant (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List Participant (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1)
To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
20 pcs.
20 pcs.
20 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

buffs

Viral Games Manager

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Cash on hand: 74788
Bank: 0.00
United States of America

Postby ozbundyboy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:17 pm

I think I would do as John did and sign up even though I have no idea what I would be getting into because of the fact that either way you look at it you don't really know what you are going into at the age of 75 and this way you know that you are doing something useful. The main reasoning is that I would know that I wasn't being a burden to society anymore as at the age of 75 I would probably be dependent on an aged pension for my source of income.
I think it's a really smart idea and a great way to help reduce the over-population of earth whilst not taking the people that are most needed (ie younger people) away from the areas of that they are most needed.
In my case I would use the recruitment as a fresh start based on the fact that I probably will be single and the fact that there is no guarantee of what will happen.
I think the process they went through to get upgraded to their new selves was very interesting. Most of it sounded like some of the sorts of tests that they come up with in regards to employment recruitment. However the scans sound a bit painful yet efficient at the same time.
The BrainPal sounds like an awesome thing to have as it is like your own personal assistant/computer inside your own brain. One of these would be perfect as it would be able to make everyday life a lot easier as it would keep track of everything you need to do in your schedule and ensure that you are on time to things. It would also give reminders and help to make you better at doing things or suggest better ways of doing something. From a gamers point of view, having the BrainPal woudl be like having a smart glass helping you with your gaming.
Medals: 48
Seasoned Hound (1) Experienced Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) Basset Hound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Charitable (1) Broadcaster (1) Helping Paw (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) 4000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Weekly Blogger (1) Progress?? (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Donor (1) Booster CCL (1) Socialite (1) Can I Get A Witness? (1) Been there, Done that (1)
Brick Breaker (1) For Albion! (1) 10 Xbox One Completions (1) Rarefied (1) AHP Competition 1st (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Community Manager (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Scarred For Life (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
155 pcs.
453 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

ozbundyboy

Community Manager

Cash on hand: 177055
Australia

Postby merricat sugar » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:10 am

Before I do my answers I have another question- What would you name your BrainPal?

I think I'd call mine Princess :-)
Medals: 37
Seasoned Hound (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Helping Paw (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) 2000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Representative (1) First Time Caller (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Guest Star (1) Community Cast Star (1) Contributor (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster L (1) Okay, Maybe One More... (1) Brick Breaker (1) 10 Xbox One Completions (1) Gun Collector (1) Rarefied (1) Eating up Quarters (1) AHP Competition 2nd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1)
2012 E3 Swagtacular Entrant (1) Scarred For Life (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List Participant (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
2 pcs.
162 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
135 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

merricat sugar
Top Dawg

Cash on hand: 392654
Bank: 20,938.00
United States of America

Postby merricat sugar » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:32 am

Like oz and buffs I'd be excited to sign up. 75 can still be an active age, but you are aware that getting older you'll be more and more dependent on others- either your family or others. A chance to bow out while your loved one's memories of you do not involve drool and diapers.

I think it's better than having children fight wars :-) It would also take a burden off the health care system- a disproportionate amount of money goes to the care of those at the end of their life. Having been cynical there- it does also take out of the system those with experience, who can look back and compare today with what went before. Earth has been a static society in this novel, and I think that this might be one of the reasons.

Personally I would have a horrible time giving up my husband and starting "fresh"- we get along really well. I would always feel like a piece of me was missing without him. I think that he, if there was no way for us to be together, wouldn't begrudge me enjoying myself- and I would feel the same way for him.

I like what buffs says- it would be "trippy" to see an upgraded version of yourself! Also, any time you know you're going to be put under and something done to you is scary. So it would be frightening, but also thrilling to know you are waking up with a whole new & improved you and a new future to look forward to.

I really want a BrainPal! It would make my life a lot easier. I could have all my audible books & music right there, be connected to all kinds of electronic devices, etc. etc. (And like Oz- the first thing I'd want to sync up with is my xbox- it could just tell me where to go for a collectable and check it off once I get it!) I also want the grey smart blood- that seems very convenient and probably I would not be suffering from horrible allergies to *everything* right now :p
Seasoned Hound (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Helping Paw (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) 2000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Representative (1) First Time Caller (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Guest Star (1) Community Cast Star (1) Contributor (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster L (1) Okay, Maybe One More... (1) Brick Breaker (1) 10 Xbox One Completions (1) Gun Collector (1) Rarefied (1) Eating up Quarters (1) AHP Competition 2nd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1)
2012 E3 Swagtacular Entrant (1) Scarred For Life (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List Participant (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
2 pcs.
162 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
135 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

merricat sugar
Top Dawg

United States of America

Postby merricat sugar » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Thought of this thread when I saw this:

Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
2 pcs.
162 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
135 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

merricat sugar
Top Dawg

United States of America

Postby Obb Shank » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:39 pm

At the age of 75..... I guess currosity would get the best of me. As friends and family die off, or disperse into the unknown, old age would get lonely. Knowing that I could be whisked away to someplace new would defiantly be intriguing. Whatever my situation is, I would always have that thought gnawing away at me.

They have the systems and process in place to rejuvenate the old, so why not? I never understood why they didn't recruit from the colonies as well. Another benefit from only taking old people is that it doesn't reduce the population of those that are of an age to reproduce. This keeps the population stable and keeps Earth a fertile planet.

It has to be a balancing act. While you can't forget about your past, you have to recognize that it is far behind you and it is time to begin anew.

I thought it was great! The beginning seemed like real fun, especially the meals. I would grow real tired of answering stupid questions all day and I would have punched the Doctor who started insulting my wife like that. i guess it is effective.
Actually having my consciousness ripped out of my head and plopped into another body would be scary. I don't know how I would feel seeing my old body sitting across from me. The idea that it would be killed is pretty morbid. It like having to take a car you been driving for years to the dump. No matter how good your new car is, there would be a lot of nostalgia.
In time, I could get used to changing bodies every time my old one wore out.

Unlike everybody else, I think having a BP would be pretty disturbing. I like to be alone with my thoughts. If I start suddenly get interrupted by a strange voice in my head, I'd toss my lunch. Sure it would be neat having all that access to information, but you could never ignore a phone call or an email.
I also think any games that we play today would disappear. Who cares about collectibles, when you would have instant access to all of them? What about a game of cards? When you can count cards and have instant access to the probabilities, why bother to play?
The benefits to the books and music would be intriguing. I bet you would stop digesting the you way do now. I thing "music' would not only include sound, but also emotional tracks as well.
Books on the other hand could go many ways. They might become movies instead, or some hybrid of them part text, part movie, and part emotional manipulation.

Bonus ?

I call my BP - Shank lol
Medals: 22
New Hound on the Block (1) Greyhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Richest Hound of the Month (1) Literate (1) Haughty Hound (1) 800 posts (1) Street Team (1) First Time Caller (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Contributor (1) Colonel Viral (1) Booster CL (1) Eat, Sleep, Boost, Repeat (1) Had A Lil Help From My Friends (1) Why Can't I Quit This Game? (1) Rarefied (1) Black Sunday Burglar (1) 2012 E3 Swagtacular Entrant (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List Participant (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
4 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
2 pcs.
2 pcs.
1 pcs.
2 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Obb Shank
Top Dawg

Cash on hand: 456108
Bank: 17,255.00

Postby ozbundyboy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:17 pm

Bonus Question: What would I name my brainpal???? That would be a tough choice, however it would most likely get named Ted
Seasoned Hound (1) Experienced Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) Basset Hound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Charitable (1) Broadcaster (1) Helping Paw (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) 4000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Weekly Blogger (1) Progress?? (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Donor (1) Booster CCL (1) Socialite (1) Can I Get A Witness? (1) Been there, Done that (1)
Brick Breaker (1) For Albion! (1) 10 Xbox One Completions (1) Rarefied (1) AHP Competition 1st (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Community Manager (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Scarred For Life (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
155 pcs.
453 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

ozbundyboy

Community Manager

Australia

Postby Mattism » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:31 am

Would you do like John did and sign up to go off to the military at the age of 75 without know exactly what you were getting into?
I think that I would also sign up to join the CDF. Like everyone said here that you are getting older and you have lived your life for good or bad. I would sign up because I don’t think I would want to have a chance to have a younger me again even though I would have no idea on how they would do it. Like Buff said it would also be a new adventure and also you could feel like you would be doing something useful and not feel like you would possible be a burden on your family or society.

What do you think about the CDF and their recruitment of seniors?
I personally think it is a great idea. I know they explain why they do it later but for the most part you are not taking the younger generation allowing them to grow in knowledge and to live out their lives and not worrying about drawing to much of the population away that might cause an issue. Plus most old people I would assume are looking for the fountain of youth and the CDF seems like they are offering it.

Would you still cling to your past like John does with his wife or would you just let it all go and use the recruitment as a new fresh start?
That is tough for me to say. I do love my wife and kids and it would be hard just to say forget about them I have a new life now. I do think it is a fresh start to a point but I also believe that like John if you have something that you remember and you can hold on to that can make you better at what you are going to do and hopefully help you remember who you are and were.

What did you think about the process they went through to get upgraded to their new selves?
I think going through all the tests would be interesting as you had no idea what they were doing. In the end I do think that the transfer process would be a bit weird if not disturbing. I would probably be one of those old people who would be screaming through the whole thing.

Talk to be a little about the BrainPal and how you feel about it.
I think that the BrainPal would be a useful tool to have available. I am like Shank in that I like it to be quiet in my head and having something up there that would pop up messages or whatever whenever it wanted would get old and disturbing. Eventually I would get used to it and could see it benefits outweighing everything else. The one thing that I do think I would use it most for would be to talk. I do like the idea of just talking via BrainPal and never saying a word.

Bonus: I would call my BrainPal – Ace.

Another question for everyone: After everyone’s conversion to their new selves do you see yourself experimenting like the rest of the people did? Would you all hook up like they did? Would you test your mind or your body first?
For me I would probably be just like everyone else after the conversion. It would be like a party at the Playboy Mansion. As far as testing my limits I would probable test my body out and see what I could do with it. Heck I would do something
Experienced Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) One Of Us (1) Charitable (1) Broadcaster (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Majority Shareholder (1) C.E.O. (1) Dog didn't eat your homework! (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Jackpot (1) 1000 posts (1) Street Team (1) First Time Caller (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Benefactor (1) Gold Viral Gamer (1) Booster CCL (1) Eat, Sleep, Boost, Repeat (1) Let's Finish This!! (1) Been there, Done that (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) The Veteran (1) Brick Breaker (1) Violence in Silence (1) A Real Hero (1) Top 10 (1) A True Jedi (1)
Rarefied (1) Consigliere (1) AHPM Thirds Place (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Free Falling (1) 2012 E3 Swagtacular Entrant (1) Scarred For Life (1) To Do List Participant (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
307 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
2 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
340 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Mattism

Boosting Coordinator

United States of America

Postby buffs » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:36 am

Bonus question - I would probably call it jack.. Or if it was a girl voice Susan.. lol
Medals: 32
Seasoned Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) One Of Us (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Literate (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) 1000 posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Guest Star (1) Community Cast Star (1) Donor (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster C (1) Okay, Maybe One More... (1) Can I Get A Witness? (1) Human Polygraph (1) The Booster Seat (1) Eaglemaniac (1) AHP Competition 2nd (1) Viral Games Manager (1) 2012 E3 Swagtacular Entrant (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List Participant (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1)
To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
20 pcs.
20 pcs.
20 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

buffs

Viral Games Manager

Cash on hand: 74788
United States of America

Postby matdan12 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:49 am

Cannot really answer as I got sidetracked and have yet to start the book. Maybe post some discussion when I have read the book a bit.
Medals: 7
Haughty Hound (1) Booster XXX (1) Are We Done Yet? (1) Participation Puppy (1) To Do List Participant (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1)
%s XBox Live Avatar

matdan12
Novice

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Cash on hand: 18176
Australia

Postby Unholy Angst » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:13 am

Not only would I join, I'd probably protest about not being able to join sooner. The context of this book makes an arbitrary age silly.

I think its s gimmick, they don't want people they want DNA, they should be paying gals to octomom themselves. I think I just made octomom a verb.

I could not escape my past so it would never leave me. But my wife is dead and some green pseudo version of her is not her. She's dead, I've mourned her and I've had to wait a few years to join. If I can accept that I've been turned into Superman I can accept they did the same to my wife. I'm amazed that while working on the whole turn you into Steve Austin (6 million dollar man) thing became available no one thought that 75 years of emotional baggage was a bad thing. I thought that the story point of the former politician trying to broker peace was stupid.

When I read it I liked this, because this is the whole point of the story, once the story was over it bothered me because if you can manipulate DNA to the extreme that they do you probably only need the DNA of 10,000 people to create and recreate an army of super soldiers. John's wife died and was a super soldier, they can't recreate her 12 times an hour?

This is the single reason why using near octogenarians is silly. Its fun to see them react and complain about the new technology, but they are already turned into teenagers with massive libidos who would obliterate world records? They must have a handicap of some sort.

I hesitate to post my thoughts since I didn't really like this book. But in the spirit of a book club dissension is likely to create more discussion.
2015 NHL Champs!
Medals: 15
Seasoned Hound (1) Greyhound (1) Haughty Hound (1) Donor (1) Silver Viral Gamer (1) Gat's Protige (1) Brick Breaker (1) Gooooaaaaalllll!!!! (1) For Albion! (1) First! (1) Deja Vu I (1) 10 Xbox One Completions (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Participation Puppy (1) To Do List Participant (1)
Virtual Shelf:
35 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Unholy Angst
Veteran

Cash on hand: 4505
Bank: 233,566.00
United States of America

Postby HyruleBalverine » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:48 am

Mattism wrote:I want to try and have a little more discussion with this book then we have had in the past. I know those are high hopes but it is what I am going for with this book and some of the questions. So when you answer these questions try to give a little more or at least comment on other peoples comments. I am going to try and keep all the questions in this thread instead of creating new threads so always come back and check out the quests. I will answer the questions after I get a couple responses.

:idea: I believe I would. I have actually tried to join the military in the past. When I was in high school, I was overweight and unable to meet the physical requirements of enlisting. Years later, I tried again, but despite being able to meet the physical requirements, I was unable to join due to some foolish actions of my youth. Were I given the opportunity to walk away from my past and still serve my country or, as in this case, my world or species, I would gladly take it.

:idea: When you consider that in our own society that we recruit our youngest adults, those with the most life left to live and lose, recruiting from the other end of the spectrum makes sense. Add in the fact that at their age they have decades of experience and likely less (or at worst no more) fear of death than the teenagers, they would be at least as willing to provide the ultimate sacrifice to save the lives of others. By taking the older generation and giving them a "comprehensive overhaul" so that they are physically able to serve, it allows the younger generation to live their lives and provide other useful services for humanity.

:idea: That's a difficult question to answer without being in the situation, but given that our minds are transferred in the "comprehensive overhaul", I would still be me. Any thoughts and feelings that I had in the old body would still be there in the new body. It seems logical that, at least for some time, my old life and ties would still hold a fair amount of importance to me. After the new life truly began in earnest, it's likely that the important things of the old life would begin to lose their hold on me.

:idea: Honestly, I couldn't help but wonder if James Cameron had read this before making Avatar. The mapping of the brain was an interesting process and transferring one's consciousness into a new, genetically altered and cloned body, is an amazing feat. It makes me wonder if they would be able to leave certain memories / pathways out, so that they could potentially fix mental illness or memories that cause PTSD or similar issues.

:idea: I'm on the fence about that. At its most basic level, its a cool piece of technology. But, you also have the thing injected into your brain. As cool as it is to have that instant access to information and communication, the thought of having anything added to my brain, for whatever reason, kind of creeps me out.

I realize that you were hoping for a little more discussion of other people's comments, but since this is my first official book club reply, I wanted to make sure that my responses were entirely my own.
Image Image
Medals: 47
New Hound on the Block (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Amazonian (1) Charitable (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Dog didn't eat your homework! (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Jackpot (1) 2000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Gift of Gab (1) The Year In Review (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Philanthropist (1) Colonel Viral (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster L (1) Are We Done Yet? (1) Seriously? (1) One For the Spartans (1) Requiescat In Pace (1)
Brick Breaker (1) Gem in the Rough (1) Love To Swipe (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) Deja Vu I (1) All Rounder 1 (1) Denied (1) Nothing Collector (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Cash on hand: 85639
Bank: 586,475.00
Location: Marysville, WA, USA, North America, Sol 3, Sol System, Orion Arm, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy.
United States of America

Postby HyruleBalverine » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:43 am

After now having read the other posts here, I find it amusing that we're mostly in agreement with our reasoning behind our answers.

Unholy Angst, I like that you didn't like the book because, as you pointed out, it does add to the discussion. If everybody enjoyed the book we would have little to no counter points on anything.

As far as Unholy Angst's belief that the choice of recruiting 75 year old was arbitrary, I disagree. I believe that this is a calculated decision. As others have pointed out, at 75, you're basically at the end of your life and most of your friends and loved ones are either dead or as close to it as you are. You're more likely to become legally dead in the eyes of the world in general and leave everything they know behind and never return. As cool of a thought it might be for me at 35 to leave behind the Earth and go into space, I honestly believe that I'd have a difficult time doing so. When I reach 75, with so little left of my life ahead of me, I'd have little to nothing keeping me here and would be more likely to take that chance at life.

I don't necessarily agree that they just want DNA (of course, I've only read Part 1 so far, so there could be something I don't know yet about it), as the DNA is used to clone the recruits for new bodies.

As for the bonus questions:
My first thought when the BrainPal asked for a name was to call it "Hal"... I wonder how many of us here would get that reference.
As for how I would react in a new, 25 year old body, when I was just 75, I expect that I'd be just like the rest of them. Testing my physical limits (my mind is unchanged, right?) especially my new teenage-like libido. Lord knows that most of us (certainly the men) would have sex all the time were we given the opportunity.
Image Image
New Hound on the Block (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Amazonian (1) Charitable (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Dog didn't eat your homework! (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Jackpot (1) 2000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Gift of Gab (1) The Year In Review (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Philanthropist (1) Colonel Viral (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster L (1) Are We Done Yet? (1) Seriously? (1) One For the Spartans (1) Requiescat In Pace (1)
Brick Breaker (1) Gem in the Rough (1) Love To Swipe (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) Deja Vu I (1) All Rounder 1 (1) Denied (1) Nothing Collector (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Location: Marysville, WA, USA, North America, Sol 3, Sol System, Orion Arm, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy.
United States of America

Postby ozbundyboy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:15 pm

HyruleBalverine wrote:After now having read the other posts here, I find it amusing that we're mostly in agreement with our reasoning behind our answers.

Unholy Angst, I like that you didn't like the book because, as you pointed out, it does add to the discussion. If everybody enjoyed the book we would have little to no counter points on anything.

As far as Unholy Angst's belief that the choice of recruiting 75 year old was arbitrary, I disagree. I believe that this is a calculated decision. As others have pointed out, at 75, you're basically at the end of your life and most of your friends and loved ones are either dead or as close to it as you are. You're more likely to become legally dead in the eyes of the world in general and leave everything they know behind and never return. As cool of a thought it might be for me at 35 to leave behind the Earth and go into space, I honestly believe that I'd have a difficult time doing so. When I reach 75, with so little left of my life ahead of me, I'd have little to nothing keeping me here and would be more likely to take that chance at life.

I don't necessarily agree that they just want DNA (of course, I've only read Part 1 so far, so there could be something I don't know yet about it), as the DNA is used to clone the recruits for new bodies.

As for the bonus questions:
My first thought when the BrainPal asked for a name was to call it "Hal"... I wonder how many of us here would get that reference.
As for how I would react in a new, 25 year old body, when I was just 75, I expect that I'd be just like the rest of them. Testing my physical limits (my mind is unchanged, right?) especially my new teenage-like libido. Lord knows that most of us (certainly the men) would have sex all the time were we given the opportunity.

I am a fan of Quantum Leap too and mistakenly mixed up the name, "Hal" with the character "Al" which was played by Dean Stockwell. I would have picked the name Al for my brainpal but it came down to being able to say "Ted" and get a response from my brain pal would be the long overdue response from a certain little blue bear, even though they would both be inside my head, at least the brain pal wouldn't be powered by my imagination.
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
155 pcs.
453 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

ozbundyboy

Community Manager

Australia

Postby Mattism » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:06 am

Unholy Angst wrote:]1. Would you do like John did and sign up to go off to the military at the age of 75 without know exactly what you were getting into?

Not only would I join, I'd probably protest about not being able to join sooner. The context of this book makes an arbitrary age silly.

I do think that the age is a bit arbitrary. Some people may be dying and want to try to "server" sooner while others would want to spend as much time as they could with family and friends. I don't remember if they had extended the average life span or not but with 76.2 years for men and 81.1 years for women being our current average I think it is an ok number to work with for this book. It at least gets the story going.

Unholy Angst wrote:2. What do you think about the CDF and their recruitment of seniors?

I think its s gimmick, they don't want people they want DNA, they should be paying gals to octomom themselves. I think I just made octomom a verb.

I think that you are correct in that it is a gimmick in that they really only want peoples DNA but I don't think they are allowed to get it. There is a weird relationship between the CDF and the world powers. It is not really explained all that much and just sort of passed over but I think that the US only allows the recruitment of it's seniors because of its standing military and need to keep it fully supplied with manpower.

Unholy Angst wrote:3. Would you still cling to your past like John does with his wife or would you just let it all go and use the recruitment as a new fresh start?

I could not escape my past so it would never leave me. But my wife is dead and some green pseudo version of her is not her. She's dead, I've mourned her and I've had to wait a few years to join. If I can accept that I've been turned into Superman I can accept they did the same to my wife. I'm amazed that while working on the whole turn you into Steve Austin (6 million dollar man) thing became available no one thought that 75 years of emotional baggage was a bad thing. I thought that the story point of the former politician trying to broker peace was stupid.

I do agree with you about the baggage being a bad thing. Your example of the politician was probable the best example of someone thinking they could still influence things without really knowing what is going on and realizing that they are living a new second life that has not nothing to do with what the did in their Earth life.

Unholy Angst wrote:4. What did you think about the process they went through to get upgraded to their new selves?

When I read it I liked this, because this is the whole point of the story, once the story was over it bothered me because if you can manipulate DNA to the extreme that they do you probably only need the DNA of 10,000 people to create and recreate an army of super soldiers. John's wife died and was a super soldier, they can't recreate her 12 times an hour?

You know they don't really explain in the book how they go about creating the Ghost Brigade. You would think that if they could create them fast they would but there is probable something that does not make it an easy process.

Unholy Angst wrote:5. Talk to be a little about the BrainPal and how you feel about it.

This is the single reason why using near octogenarians is silly. Its fun to see them react and complain about the new technology, but they are already turned into teenagers with massive libidos who would obliterate world records? They must have a handicap of some sort.

I hesitate to post my thoughts since I didn't really like this book. But in the spirit of a book club dissension is likely to create more discussion.

I look forward to more of your thoughts on my new questions.
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
307 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
2 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
340 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Mattism

Boosting Coordinator

United States of America

Re: Old Man's War Book Discussion -- New Questions

Postby ozbundyboy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:35 pm

6. Did you like their explanation about why they choose old people to become soldiers? Tell me a little about the how you feel about that and the odds of survival.
I liked the explanation as to why they choose old people to become soldiers because of that fact that I thought that was the best reason to pick people from that age group. I feel that is the best way to ensure that these people can feel that they are doing something useful when they are older and their recruitment is voluntary as they have the choice to not got through with the recruitment on the day of their 75th birthday. Given the medical technology I think that the odds of survival in the story are a lot greater than the odds today.
7. What did you think about Master Sergeant Ruiz? Do you think that he was still the stereotypical drill sergeant? Talk a little about Ruiz and Johns relationship and John becoming the platoon leader.
Master Sergeant Ruiz, reminded me of every drill sergeant that I have ever seen or read about in books and movies. I like the way that he was direct and to the point and the way in which he wasn't able to find a reason to make John do the run. I think that the relationship between John and Master Sergeant Ruiz was based on mutual respect. I think that John becoming platoon leader was a wise decision as it was clear that John had the respect of the other members of the platoon, this was shown in the way that the platoon won the training battle.
8. After boot camp we get into the story more about John and his fight’s with different alien species. Which one did you find the most interesting? Of all the different types of deaths that were talked about which way would you not want to go out?
I find it hard to pick between two battles, the first one against the Rraey where he formulated the two bullet in succession strategy where one of the two bullets fired would disable the shield and the second bullet would kill the enemy, and the battle where he watched as the ghost brigades fought so he could ask his questions where he was seen as a master opponent based on the bullet strategy. Of all the deaths, the one I would least like would be the one where the person was swallowed by the big fish that was then shot and sank with the person in it. Most other deaths would be quick and painless.
9. Do you think it would be easy to lose your humanity after being changed and fight so many different races?
Despite the fact that my body would be less human that it was beforehand, it would still look human and given the fact that I would still have my mind and thought processes, I think it would be difficult to lose my humanity after being changed. I think it would be difficult to fight so many different alien species (or races) given the fact that you would have to constantly change yor tactics from one battle to the next.
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
155 pcs.
453 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

ozbundyboy

Community Manager

Australia

Postby HyruleBalverine » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:28 pm

I just finished part II, and I don't think that I actually saw an explanation as to why they chose elderly people. I remember John suggested why the elderly volunteer, and I remember when the group was told about how most of them would likely die, but it would be a noble death, but none of that was an explanation as to why the elderly where chosen by the CDF. Of course, these reasons likely tie into the truth as to why the CDF recruits from them.

7. What did you think about Master Sergeant Ruiz? Do you think that he was still the stereotypical drill sergeant? Talk a little about Ruiz and Johns relationship and join becoming the platoon leader.
HIs behavior was certainly the stereotypical drill sergeant, however, he seemed to have a more legitimate reason to be that way than say, R. Lee Ermey in Full Metal Jacket. The video he showed the trainees was proof of that.

As far as the most interesting, I'd have to say the politician's death. He seemed a little full of himself and just couldn't fathom the idea that aliens were in fact alien. The sea creature that ozbundyboy mentions certainly would be a bad way to go, but I've got to go with the mold that ate Thomas from the inside out. That just seems like a truly horrible way to go.

I agree that they physical change wouldn't likely be enough to make me feel as if I'd lost my humanity; mentally I'd still be me. The constant fighting and killing, however, would eventually take its toll on me. I'm certain of that. I wonder if I'd end up doing a real life version of "Rampage" like John did when he was fighting the 1 inch tall aliens.
Image Image
Virtual Shelf:
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

United States of America

Postby matdan12 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:59 am

Unlikely as you never know what those space faring type people are doing and they are very secretive as well. Also one would presume military service would be sucky with horrible food and drill instructors from Hell.
Logical choice to make however it is as time consuming and also more costly to have seniors doing the job of young people. While having experience they are also stuck in their old way of thinking making them just as dangerous as an over-enthusiastic teenager. Also the extensive amount of reworking and hardware needed to make a whole fresh new person means additional costs for an out-gunned species.
Just let it go 75 years old and likely having dementia I could see it being just as likely that you forget your old life. However given the new body re-adds those memories; I would choose to leave it behind.
Questionable for us more Religious people being that a person should only have the one life to make the right decisions and to achieve what they want to.
The brainpal would be a handy thing for use as it would simplify the learning curve and allow for you to have a slight upper hand in combat against more hardened alien foes.

--------- New Questions --------

Survival would be increased as a lifetime of proper decision does however it is obvious the ones that made poor decisions are more likely to die in combat.
He turned out in the end to be no different then the other sergeants in say Full Metal Jacket just slightly more tough then the standard army training. I think it was probably one of the finer moments in the book that showed that centuries of war had not dimmed them so much as to have no humour. John being the only one not to piss him off made it a given and perhaps Ruiz saw himself in John.
Question 8 skipped until later.
They did lose their humanity when they became green super-soldiers so it is doubtful given how stable Ruiz that the impact of all the horror would of had great effect given their tough training.

Bonus Question:
What would I name my brainpal? I think I would go with something appropriate like Overmind.
Medals: 7
Haughty Hound (1) Booster XXX (1) Are We Done Yet? (1) Participation Puppy (1) To Do List Participant (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1)
%s XBox Live Avatar

matdan12
Novice

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Cash on hand: 18176
Australia

Postby Mattism » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:40 pm

The explanation saying that because they had lived to 75 that they had a better understanding of what they were going out there for. They for the most part would understand they were fight for other humans and be able to do that even though they had not met the colonists. I agree with this in that I think when we are young we don’t always care about other people and other cultures. Since most of the people who are joining the CDF came from the US and they had fought against India which most of the colonist are coming from I think that old people generally are able to let things rest and do what would be best.

I think Master Sergeant Ruiz is just like almost every other drill sergeant you come across in movies. I liked him though and the fact that he knows what he is doing when he is calling out all the different people at the start. He is trying to get them to break out of who they were because they are not that person anymore. That is a past life and he needs them to think different in this new life. I do think that Ruiz admires John in that his work helped make Ruiz into the person he is and allowed him to detach himself from a bad life he had before and start over. As to making John a platoon leader I think that he did not know what to do with him because he thought he would have all his bases covered with his little rant. So the only thing to do was have him be the platoon lead and make him work harder than everyone else.

Of all the species that I find the most interesting it would have to be the Covandu. It is probable because they are so small you would think that they would not have thrived the way they did again other species. Plus I found the fight against them amusing to a point. Who would not want to be like Godzilla stomping around and squishing your enemies? Of all the different deaths in the book I think being eaten by killer slime would be the worse. Just gives me the ebby jibbies.

I do think with enough time in the super soldier body and no really contact with other humans you could lose yourself and think of yourself as better or different. Like he said all he sees are dead colonists and no live ones.

Also sorry for not responding sooner I have just been lazy!
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
307 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
2 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
340 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Mattism

Boosting Coordinator

United States of America

Next

Return to Book Club