Achievement Hounds Podcast • View topic - Bioshock: Rapture Week 4

Bioshock: Rapture Week 4

Bioshock: Rapture Week 4

Postby merricat sugar » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:10 pm

Covering Chapters 16-End

1. Which do you find creepier- Little Sisters or Big Daddies? And why?

2. I liked this section of the book a lot- it moved everything and everyone around to where they need to be to set up the two games. Do you think the author did a good job setting up the world of Rapture that we see in Bioshock 1/2?

3. Do you think Ryan's character had fallen enough (as presented in the novel) to commit murder?

4. Over all did you like or not like the novel? Why?

5. What did you think about the ending?
Medals: 37
Seasoned Hound (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Helping Paw (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) 2000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Representative (1) First Time Caller (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Guest Star (1) Community Cast Star (1) Contributor (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster L (1) Okay, Maybe One More... (1) Brick Breaker (1) 10 Xbox One Completions (1) Gun Collector (1) Rarefied (1) Eating up Quarters (1) AHP Competition 2nd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1)
2012 E3 Swagtacular Entrant (1) Scarred For Life (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List Participant (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1)
Virtual Shelf:
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.
2 pcs.
162 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
135 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

merricat sugar
Top Dawg

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Cash on hand: 392654
Bank: 20,428.00
United States of America

Re: Bioshock: Rapture Week 4

Postby nickhawkeye » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:54 am

Initially I always thought little sisters were creepy just because little kids always make for the creepy role, however after finding out what big daddys actually are... (I have not played any of the games so I don’t know how much is explained) I think they are creepy in their inception, someone is taken off the street and punished for various reasons but basically turned into a zombie with a suit so the idea of being turned into one of those and brainwashed is the creepier idea for me.

2. I liked this section of the book a lot- it moved everything and everyone around to where they need to be to set up the two games. Do you think the author did a good job setting up the world of Rapture that we see in Bioshock 1/2?

I am sure interested to start playing these games now! I’ll let you know when I actually get to step into Rapture.

3. Do you think Ryan's character had fallen enough (as presented in the novel) to commit murder?

I think enough happened that he would/could be driven mad enough to turn crazy protective. Then learning that you had a child and they were turned over to your biggest enemy would drive the point enough I think.

I loved this reading, it got me excited for a game I have heard is great but probably would have passed it over but now I have to go back, just reading some of the achievements and already knowing the “backstory” is fun with recognizable characters. I really could not put it down for this last portion.

It was sad and I’m sure that no one wanted *this person* to die. (sorry not sure if you would be reading this if you haven't finished reading yet so watch out for spoilers ;) ) also not played the game I had no idea which characters were still alive for the game so I didn’t know if Ryan or anyone survived going into it. going back to the end I’m really surprised Ryan didn’t make an exception for Bill. I always favor the happier type storybook endings but I think they had a good mix of both, some live while others are not so lucky.
Medals: 10
Greyhound (1) Amazonian (1) Literate (1) Community Cast Star (1) Bronze Viral Gamer (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) Participation Puppy (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
%s XBox Live Avatar

nickhawkeye
Graduate

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Cash on hand: 0
Bank: 94,402.00
United States of America

Postby Mattism » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:33 pm

I think I find the Little Sisters way creepier than the Big Daddies. The reason I think this is because they are little girls that play with dead bodies and don’t really have a connection with the real world. It is like they are off is some special place that only they know about. They play and act like little girls but do things that little girls would never do. The whole their angels bit and they just accept their Big Daddy counterpart gives me the willies. Also Big Daddies are not creepy they are just like big guard dogs or like a golem from fantasy novels. Mindless drones that have one thing protect their charge.
I think the whole book was a good set up for the games. The author did a masterful job at taking two games and bringing them together in the book. From the use of the data records from the games and making them flow into the book to just the overall feel of Rapture. It was masterful.
I think he had. He had already ignored it going on around him and he had his security chief violating thing he said he would never do including committing murder for him. I just think that a man that powerful trying to make things the way he believes they should be would in the end do anything retain power and not lose control even if it was murder.
Overall I liked the novel a lot. It was a good mix of explaining how Rapture came about and the people in the book that made it what it was. There was just a great flow to the book for me. Having played the first and second game I thought the book did a great job at adding to what I know and reminding me of things I had forgotten.
I think it was a fitting ending. While Bill was not able to leave his family was allowed to live on and make a new life. The book seemed to leave it open for something else to come in the future as a game or another book.
Medals: 45
Experienced Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) One Of Us (1) Charitable (1) Broadcaster (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Majority Shareholder (1) C.E.O. (1) Dog didn't eat your homework! (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Jackpot (1) 1000 posts (1) Street Team (1) First Time Caller (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Benefactor (1) Gold Viral Gamer (1) Booster CCL (1) Eat, Sleep, Boost, Repeat (1) Let's Finish This!! (1) Been there, Done that (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) The Veteran (1) Brick Breaker (1) Violence in Silence (1) A Real Hero (1) Top 10 (1) A True Jedi (1)
Rarefied (1) Consigliere (1) AHPM Thirds Place (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Free Falling (1) 2012 E3 Swagtacular Entrant (1) Scarred For Life (1) To Do List Participant (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
307 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
2 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
340 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Mattism

Boosting Coordinator

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Cash on hand: 739894
Bank: 583,489.00
United States of America

Postby Facial La Fleur » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:26 am

I'm much more bothered by the idea of little girls, children in general, being experimented on. At least the Big Daddies were normally lawbreakers being repurposed instead of directly being imprisoned or killed. Though it is arguable that being forced to be a Big Daddy is a punishment worse than death.

I like how the book began the origin of the character that you play as in the first game, but it sort of tapered off and didn't conclude I felt. If it did, then I missed it. At what point did Jack leave Rapture before returning in the game? I would have liked a little more information on that, maybe things about his life on the surface. I know he had accelerated growth, and I think when the plane crashes at the beginning of the game that it was his birthday. Was that his actual first birthday? It's been so long since I played the game that maybe they disclosed that information in the game and I just don't remember.

If I'm not mistaken, he did commit murder. He strangled Jolene Jasmine in her backstage room in Fort Frolic for selling his child to Fontaine. Aside from that, I'm not so sure he was the kind of person that would do his own dirty work. That's why he had all the countless peons around to take care of whatever he need, right or wrong.

I enjoyed it very much so. The additional information about every character in the BioShock universe, no matter how big of minor they may have been, was interesting. And like any other time where I've seen the movie or played the game before reading the book, it's great to have a face and a voice to put to a name so that when you are reading the things they are saying, you hear their voice and see them in your mind.

I wish they would have let Bill leave with Elaine and Sophie. I at least wish Bill would have gone down fighting instead of on his knees. While the constables that brought him in were longtime colleagues and friends that he probably didn't want to harm, this was his wife and child and they would have been more important I'd think. Redgrave wanted to let him go but I guess not quite enough for him to kill Karlosky and/or deal with Ryan's punishment for allowing him to escape. I guess it is what it is. And again, I would have liked a little more story about Jack and his growth process and when and where and how he left Rapture before his return in the game.
Medals: 55
Experienced Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Broadcaster (1) Artist (1) Helping Paw (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Best in Show (1) Haughty Hound (1) We Bet You're Smiling (1) 3000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) 6 Month Blogger (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) First Time Caller (1) Inquiry (1) Guest Star (1) Community Cast Star (1) Contributor (1) Major Viral (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster CCL (1) Eat, Sleep, Boost, Repeat (1) Had A Lil Help From My Friends (1)
Why Can't I Quit This Game? (1) Seriously? (1) One For the Spartans (1) Long Service Medal (1) The Veteran (1) Brick Breaker (1) A Real Hero (1) Love To Swipe (1) Yes, They're Brass (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) A True Jedi (1) PC Master Race (1) Denied (1) Gun Collector (1) Rarefied (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Free Falling (1) Scarred For Life (1) To Do List Participant (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
11 pcs.
68 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
392 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Facial La Fleur

Boosting Coordinator

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Cash on hand: 35629
Bank: 373,255.00
United States of America

Postby bigeasy97 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:06 pm

Covering Chapters 16-End

Little Sister because of the fact they were innocent little girls. Experiments on children is highly unethical as children did not have a choice to participate. The children also did nothing wrong to deserve what happened to them. As I one day hope to be a father it would be my worse nightmare to have anything happen to my children which is why Little Sisters to me are more disturbing.

I feel that this book was a great set up to the games. As someone who have yet to play either game, I have an itch to play these games as we speak.

I think so, it was clear that his dream had gotten away from him and he was the type of person that would not allow that happen. A person like him would break any rule to get what they want and that is what happened to Ryan.

I loved this book, the detail in the storytelling helped me to really get into this book. I was someone who was on the fence about every playing this series of games and because of this book I am eager to playthrough all of the games now.

It was a very sad ending. I wish Bill was able to leave but I am glad that his family was able to live on. The author definitely did an effective job on character development because by the end I wanted Bill to get alive in anyway possible.
Medals: 42
Experienced Hound (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Haughty Hound (1) Halfway There (1) Fortunate (1) 2000 Posts (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Gift of Gab (1) The Year In Review (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) First Time Caller (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Contributor (1) Major Viral (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster XXX (1) Boosting Medley (1) Can I Get A Witness? (1) A Real Hero (1) The Booster Seat (1) Top 10 (1) Deja Vu I (1) 30 Xbox One Completions (1)
All Rounder 2 (1) Denied (1) AHP Competition 2nd (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) VIP GoW #100 Winner (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
24 pcs.
116 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
140 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

bigeasy97
Top Dawg

Cash on hand: 62003
Bank: 1,013,552.00
United States of America

Postby Rogue 1992 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:41 pm

Little sisters. Just something creepy about little girls needles and draining people of their insides...

I liked the way it set up the game/book it really did fill in a lot of gaps. Like who was this guy what happened here and so on.

He always seemed to have a very darkside to himself I think from the beginning he would have killed to keep his dream alive.

I don't normally read game related books but I bought this in an airport and read it pretty much nonstop for the best part of a week. I really enjoyed this book.

I think it showed how rapture was supposed to be depicted in the games quite well. The fall from grace of the citizens, the crumbling buildings, the drug addictions. And finally the brutality that bioshock is supposed to show in its story.
Medals: 17
Seasoned Hound (1) One Of Us (1) Haughty Hound (1) 100 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) The Good Samaritan (1) The Veteran (1) Colonel (1) Gooooaaaaalllll!!!! (1) Love To Swipe (1) Yes, They're Brass (1) Top 10 (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) To Do List Participant (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1)
Virtual Shelf:
7 pcs.
18 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Rogue 1992
Graduate

Cash on hand: 45930
Australia

Postby HyruleBalverine » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:34 pm

Big Daddies are nothing but emotionless body guards. They do one thing and they mostly do it well. The Little Sisters, on the other hand, because of their conditioning, come across as a little but mentally unstable. Of course, they would have to be, given that they are harvesting fluids or "organs", if you will, from corpses. If they weren't a little bit messed up to start with, this job would mess them up quite rapidly.

I think that he moved the story along quite well, especially given the time frame the story took place in. Knowing where the story was headed helped a lot, too, I'm sure.

I think that Andrew Ryan had simply gone insane by the end of the story. I'm not sure which pressure did it or if it was a combination of everything going on in Rapture, but he was simply a mad dictator by the end.

I really liked this book. Admittedly, I tend to like Sci-Fi and I enjoy stories that flesh out games that I've played (like the book Dead Space: Martyr). I'm not sure how much I would have like this without my foreknowledge of Rapture, however.

Image Image
Medals: 47
New Hound on the Block (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Amazonian (1) Charitable (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Dog didn't eat your homework! (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Jackpot (1) 2000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Gift of Gab (1) The Year In Review (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Philanthropist (1) Colonel Viral (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster L (1) Are We Done Yet? (1) Seriously? (1) One For the Spartans (1) Requiescat In Pace (1)
Brick Breaker (1) Gem in the Rough (1) Love To Swipe (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) Deja Vu I (1) All Rounder 1 (1) Denied (1) Nothing Collector (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Cash on hand: 85639
Bank: 572,172.00
Location: Marysville, WA, USA, North America, Sol 3, Sol System, Orion Arm, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy.
United States of America

Return to Book Club