Achievement Hounds Podcast • View topic - Bioshock: Rapture Week 3

Bioshock: Rapture Week 3

Bioshock: Rapture Week 3

Postby merricat sugar » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:43 pm

Chapters 11- 15

1. In this section the horror leading into the fall of Rapture begins in ernest. What part bothered you the most?

2. I am enjoying the game of chicken between Fontaine and Ryan, like me do you believe that it is this face off is the real reason Rapture failed?

3. The lack of planning that went into Rapture is somewhat staggering. It can perhaps be explained by the secrecy around it's construction. What do you find to be the most glaring oversight?

4. I am very impressed with how speeches from voice recorders and the PA system are woven into the story and dialog. Mr Shirley obviously did his homework. Is there any instances of this that particularly stood out to you?

5. Another thing the book does well is constantly remind us that all this is happening at the bottom of the sea. Would living in Rapture (when it wasn't falling to pieces) be exciting or incredibly frightening to you with that ocean constantly above and all around you?
Medals: 37
Seasoned Hound (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Helping Paw (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) 2000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Representative (1) First Time Caller (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Guest Star (1) Community Cast Star (1) Contributor (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster L (1) Okay, Maybe One More... (1) Brick Breaker (1) 10 Xbox One Completions (1) Gun Collector (1) Rarefied (1) Eating up Quarters (1) AHP Competition 2nd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1)
2012 E3 Swagtacular Entrant (1) Scarred For Life (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List Participant (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1)
Virtual Shelf:
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.
2 pcs.
162 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
135 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

merricat sugar
Top Dawg

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Cash on hand: 392654
Bank: 20,428.00
United States of America

Re: Bioshock: Rapture Week 3

Postby nickhawkeye » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:41 am

1. In this section the horror leading into the fall of Rapture begins in ernest. What part bothered you the most?

I think the part that bothers me most is how people treat each other when there are no rules. I understand “every man for themselves” and usually that is understandable as you have to protect what's important to you. but how everyone takes advantage of the free market and showing no compassion for their fellow man just to get ahead when theres a way for everyone to get what they want and profit from it at the same time.

2. I am enjoying the game of chicken between Fontaine and Ryan, like me do you believe that it is this face off is the real reason Rapture failed?

I believed from the beginning that he would be the main point of failure because he was the only one that we heard of to actively campaign to get a spot in Rapture, everyone else was supposedly recruited by Ryan.

As I think Fontain is the main reason I don't think he is the only reason but he was the main catalyst and at the very least sped up the crumble.

3. The lack of planning that went into Rapture is somewhat staggering. It can perhaps be explained by the secrecy around it's construction. What do you find to be the most glaring oversight?

With all the physical structure aside the biggest oversight is trying to cut people off cold turkey from the “real world” they already had issues keeping something that big a secret, they could have had a way to let people immigrate in and out and figure out a roundabout way to get people out and in without compromising the location of the city. which I don’t think would have been a terrible thing anyway If you know this city exists but don’t know where it is it would take a lot of power and resources to find much less “attack” rapture and for what? they don’t have any precious materials or anything the outside world knows it would want. The only thing worth protecting is the top secret research and not many people even know about that.

4. I am very impressed with how speeches from voice recorders and the PA system are woven into the story and dialog. Mr Shirley obviously did his homework. Is there any instances of this that particularly stood out to you?

Maybe not having played the games yet these did not particularly stand out to me although when I do my playthrough I think it will be that much more fascinating

5. Another thing the book does well is constantly remind us that all this is happening at the bottom of the sea. Would living in Rapture (when it wasn't falling to pieces) be exciting or incredibly frightening to you with that ocean constantly above and all around you?

It would be exciting but i would go crazy checking every crack and creaking noise, just waiting for something bad to happen would drive me insane.
Medals: 10
Greyhound (1) Amazonian (1) Literate (1) Community Cast Star (1) Bronze Viral Gamer (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) Participation Puppy (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
%s XBox Live Avatar

nickhawkeye
Graduate

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Cash on hand: 0
Bank: 94,402.00
United States of America

Postby bigeasy97 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:48 pm

Chapters 11- 15

The part that bothered me the most is that Fontaine had opened an orphanage within rapture and Ryan nor any of the constables check in to see how the children are being cared for. I understand that Rapture is suppose to be self sufficient and that people are to police themselves but shouldn't even Ryan believe that children should be looked after. If Ryan would actually give a damn about the orphans of rapture then little girls wouldn't be turned into little sisters.

I do believe that this is the real reason for the fall of Rapture. Ryan got too tied up in trying to keep his vision intact that he wasn't willing to do more to put a stop to Fontaine before he gained too much power. I think it has gotten so out of control that Ryan has yet to realize that he has already lost everything to Fontaine.

The lack of preparation of how to control those out to overthrow the system to me is the most glaring oversight. Even the greatest ideas can be brought down by one individual. Without figuring out how to handle the traitors of Rapture has caused everything to crumple at a much quicker pace.

Without playing the games it is hard for me to weigh in on this question.

I believe that I would be more on the excited end of things. Living in a city where you can look out on the marine life every single day would be amazing. Being able to see all of the creatures of the sea interact with one another would be a soothing experience for me.
Medals: 42
Experienced Hound (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Haughty Hound (1) Halfway There (1) Fortunate (1) 2000 Posts (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Gift of Gab (1) The Year In Review (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) First Time Caller (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Contributor (1) Major Viral (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster XXX (1) Boosting Medley (1) Can I Get A Witness? (1) A Real Hero (1) The Booster Seat (1) Top 10 (1) Deja Vu I (1) 30 Xbox One Completions (1)
All Rounder 2 (1) Denied (1) AHP Competition 2nd (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) VIP GoW #100 Winner (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
24 pcs.
116 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
140 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

bigeasy97
Top Dawg

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Cash on hand: 62003
Bank: 1,013,552.00
United States of America

Postby Mattism » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:10 am

1. In this section the horror leading into the fall of Rapture begins in earnest. What part bothered you the most?
I think the thing that probable bothered me the most about this section is how little Fontaine actually cared about what he was doing. He did not look into the future and say what will I have left if it all goes to crap. He just said I want to defeat Ryan and did not care how he did it or what would be left over when it was all said and done.

I think it was one of the reasons Rapture failed. But I think the main reason Rapture failed was because Ryan was stubborn and not willing admit that he was wrong. He was not willing to change things which allowed someone like Fontaine to take advantage of the system. Fontaine was a creation of Ryan’s inability to change and accept he may be wrong.

I think the most glaring thing was how many people they would need to run the place. They did not plan for the number of people it would require to make sure Rapture operated correctly. So they did not have enough space for people causing places like Paupers Drop to spring up in Rapture. I am sure Ryan never thought that something like that would happen. He thought that everyone could do something to make more and make themselves better.

The one that stood out to me was with Lamb’s daughter playing with the recorder. I was replaying Bioshock 2 on the PC and I came across it and I was amazed at how well he took that little bit and worked it into the story so well. It was just a small little thing not a whole lot but it was enough to show you that he put some time and effort into making sure it all worked well together. I just compare this book the Assassin’s Creed book were read and you can tell there is a huge difference in how the authors went about what they did.

I think that it would be a little of both. It would be exciting to see what really goes on down under the sea. But at the end of the day I would not want to live there just because I would always be worried that the sea would come pouring into the city.
Medals: 45
Experienced Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) One Of Us (1) Charitable (1) Broadcaster (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Majority Shareholder (1) C.E.O. (1) Dog didn't eat your homework! (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Jackpot (1) 1000 posts (1) Street Team (1) First Time Caller (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Benefactor (1) Gold Viral Gamer (1) Booster CCL (1) Eat, Sleep, Boost, Repeat (1) Let's Finish This!! (1) Been there, Done that (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) The Veteran (1) Brick Breaker (1) Violence in Silence (1) A Real Hero (1) Top 10 (1) A True Jedi (1)
Rarefied (1) Consigliere (1) AHPM Thirds Place (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Free Falling (1) 2012 E3 Swagtacular Entrant (1) Scarred For Life (1) To Do List Participant (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
307 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
2 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
340 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Mattism

Boosting Coordinator

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Cash on hand: 739894
Bank: 583,489.00
United States of America

Postby buffs » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:07 am

Chapters 11- 15

Ryan's ignorance of to what Fontaine was up to until it was too late. Fontaine from the beginning was in it to for the money and power he didn't care how his actions affected Rapture's stability and future.

I do believe that it led to the downfall of Rapture. The power struggle got out of control and Ryan let Fontaine gain too much power before trying to intervene. Also Ryan's belief in his system and refusal to police stuff also led to Rapture's downfall.

The lack of foresight for the sheer # of people it would take to insure Rapture ran smoothly. It led to the "slums" in Rapture and the discontentment among the common folk which led to Fontaine exploiting for his personal gain.

One in particular stood out to me was the one where Ryan and his lady were out to dinner, right when chaos broke loose. I recently went and played through the beginning of Bioshock and it is one of the first Recordings you get. There are many more but the author definitely did his homework which is a nice change from some Video Game related books.

I wouldn't want to be a part of the downfall of Rapture but if I could watch it all in spectator mode it would be a pretty cool thing to watch. The danger/excitement going on all over would not be fun to be a part of at all, in my opinion.
Medals: 32
Seasoned Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) One Of Us (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Literate (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) 1000 posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Guest Star (1) Community Cast Star (1) Donor (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster C (1) Okay, Maybe One More... (1) Can I Get A Witness? (1) Human Polygraph (1) The Booster Seat (1) Eaglemaniac (1) AHP Competition 2nd (1) Viral Games Manager (1) 2012 E3 Swagtacular Entrant (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List Participant (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1)
To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
20 pcs.
20 pcs.
20 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

buffs

Viral Games Manager

Cash on hand: 74788
Bank: 0.00
United States of America

Postby Facial La Fleur » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:25 pm

Chapters 11- 15

1. In this section the horror leading into the fall of Rapture begins in earnest. What part bothered you the most?

The most disturbing fact to me, is that no matter where you go, things will always be the same. No one is ever equal. We're given beautiful things and we slowly destroy them. Rapture was no better than the world they were trying to distance themselves from. Humans are disgusting creatures no matter where you drop them.

It's no different than what happens in real life. A few really rich people compete to acquire more money and leave little to nothing for anyone else. I'd say it's more Andrew Ryan's fault for his unwillingness to budge on anything that might help Rapture thrive in the long run. He's so set in his opinion that people who sincerely need help are parasites that he ignores the needs of the many just because a few individuals are doing well for themselves. Everyone that is successful in Rapture was already successful in the real world and brought their wealth and luxuries with them to exchange for equal amounts of Rapture wealth. The people that ACTUALLY built rapture were of little to no use once it was finished. Maybe a handful of them had additional skills that helped them in starting up a small business to get by on, but even then they were of limited success. And with anyone being able to start up the same type of business and undercut your prices, you're doomed. And like the real world, desperation leads to crime and addiction as an escape from your sorrows. Fontaine may have helped some people along the way, but they were merely stepping stones. It was always to help himself.

The actual construction I don't think was the issue at all. The buildings themselves seemed sound enough to survive inside, and they were continuously building new areas. The biggest problem, as I outlined in previous answers, is that some people had a head start in Rapture do to their real world status. Going in, everyone should have been equal with a predetermined amount of starting money. That would have been the true spirit of competition. Everyone starting at point A and seeing who can wisely invest their funds and make their way to point B and so on. There is no hope for the middle class when the upper class hoard it all for themselves.

What's wrong, Mary? You look like you've heard some terrible news.
Capital punishment in Rapture! This isn't what I signed up for!
Now hold on there, pretty lady! The only people who face capital punishment in Rapture are smugglers, and that's because they put everything we've worked for at risk. Imagine if the Soviets found out about our wonderful city, or even the U.S. government! Our secrecy is our shield!
A little capital punishment is a small price to pay to protect all of our freedoms.
Now you're talking, Mary!

It would be both terrific and terrifying. Of course, the scenery would be a beautiful thing, to be so close to the sea creatures that you could almost touch them if the glass wasn't standing between you. On the other hand, I think I'd constantly be afraid of that very glass giving way to the weight of the water around it. Eventually, metal supports would rust out from exposure to the salty ocean water and become unstable.
Medals: 55
Experienced Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Broadcaster (1) Artist (1) Helping Paw (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Best in Show (1) Haughty Hound (1) We Bet You're Smiling (1) 3000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) 6 Month Blogger (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) First Time Caller (1) Inquiry (1) Guest Star (1) Community Cast Star (1) Contributor (1) Major Viral (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster CCL (1) Eat, Sleep, Boost, Repeat (1) Had A Lil Help From My Friends (1)
Why Can't I Quit This Game? (1) Seriously? (1) One For the Spartans (1) Long Service Medal (1) The Veteran (1) Brick Breaker (1) A Real Hero (1) Love To Swipe (1) Yes, They're Brass (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) A True Jedi (1) PC Master Race (1) Denied (1) Gun Collector (1) Rarefied (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Free Falling (1) Scarred For Life (1) To Do List Participant (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
11 pcs.
68 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
392 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Facial La Fleur

Boosting Coordinator

Cash on hand: 35629
Bank: 373,255.00
United States of America

Postby HyruleBalverine » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:27 pm

Frankly, Andrew Ryan just seemed to be loosing it. He just couldn't handle people having a difference of opinion than him. He really was becoming that which he claimed to hate. Of course the splicers were an obvious problem, too.

I don't know if the social unrest in Rapture would have settled over time without this power struggle, but I am 100% sure that the tug of war between the two certainly pushed the citizens over the edge and sealed the fate of Rapture.

I'm still amazed that Ryan created this society on the backs of blue collar workers and then expected them to settle in as second class citizens despite his professed belief in equality for all and his speeches about the working man making good.

The only ones that really stood out to me where the ones with Fontaine/Atlas and the ones with Ryan's mistress (because of where the hero of game one comes from).

I've been to the Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport, Oregon, where they have this section that lets you literally walk through an exhibit. It is amazing to be able to walk down this corridor and see sea life all around you and above you. To be able to live like this would be quite a feature.
Image Image
Medals: 47
New Hound on the Block (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Amazonian (1) Charitable (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Dog didn't eat your homework! (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Jackpot (1) 2000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Gift of Gab (1) The Year In Review (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Philanthropist (1) Colonel Viral (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster L (1) Are We Done Yet? (1) Seriously? (1) One For the Spartans (1) Requiescat In Pace (1)
Brick Breaker (1) Gem in the Rough (1) Love To Swipe (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) Deja Vu I (1) All Rounder 1 (1) Denied (1) Nothing Collector (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Cash on hand: 85639
Bank: 572,172.00
Location: Marysville, WA, USA, North America, Sol 3, Sol System, Orion Arm, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy.
United States of America

Return to Book Club