Achievement Hounds Podcast • View topic - Bioshock: Rapture Week 2

Bioshock: Rapture Week 2

Bioshock: Rapture Week 2

Postby merricat sugar » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:22 pm

Covering Chapters 6-10

(Week 3 will be 11-15, with week 4 the rest)

1. This section of the book starts to deal with the different problems in Rapture that eventually lead to it's downfall. Do you think the author is building enough of a sense of dread? Would it still work if we didn't know the eventual outcome?

2. Which character did you find most interesting during this section?

3. Do you think that the smuggling helps the citizens of Rapture by providing a way to lessen tension by getting them what they need, or is it one of the sources of social unrest- by reminding people what they are missing?

4. If Rapture has lasted long enough for children that had been born there to grow up, do you think that it would have been a more stable society as these citizens would never have known any other way of life?

5. If you could create a plasmid, what would it be?
Medals: 37
Seasoned Hound (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Helping Paw (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) 2000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Representative (1) First Time Caller (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Guest Star (1) Community Cast Star (1) Contributor (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster L (1) Okay, Maybe One More... (1) Brick Breaker (1) 10 Xbox One Completions (1) Gun Collector (1) Rarefied (1) Eating up Quarters (1) AHP Competition 2nd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1)
2012 E3 Swagtacular Entrant (1) Scarred For Life (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List Participant (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1)
Virtual Shelf:
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.
2 pcs.
162 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
135 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

merricat sugar
Top Dawg

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Cash on hand: 392654
Bank: 20,428.00
United States of America

Re: Bioshock: Rapture Week 2

Postby bigeasy97 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:39 pm

1. This section of the book starts to deal with the different problems in Rapture that eventually lead to it's downfall. Do you think the author is building enough of a sense of dread? Would it still work if we didn't know the eventual outcome?

I feel that the author has created the looming sense of dread for this new community. The citizens of Rapture came under the belief that life would be better for all, everyone would have a chance at financial success and that this "metropolis" would be the next great wonder of the world. Just after two years from its opening Rapture has shown continual signs of architectural flaws by all of the cracks and leaks that continuously occur and society is starting to break financially. Just like the surface world, Rapture is experiencing a divide between the rich and the working class. With these flaws I do not believe Rapture would be able to survive. Due to the lack of structure there is no feasible way that Rapture could overcome these dynamic rifts in society.

I really like Bill as a character. He is loyal to Ryan even though he does not agree with everything and is beginning to question how things are being done in Rapture. You can tell that even though he is yet to be bold enough to speak out publicly, he is working out plans in his head to ensure the survival of him and his family. I am looking forward to more character development on his end as I read more of the book.

3. Do you think that the smuggling helps the citizens of Rapture by providing a way to lessen tension by getting them what they need, or is it one of the sources of social unrest- by reminding people what they are missing?

I feel that reminders of the "surface" do nothing but hinder the growth of Rapture. When people yearn for something they cannot have they usually tend to let their work slip and can at times become a problem for society. If Rapture wanted to succeed then it would have taken an effort of every citizen working together for the greater good.

4. If Rapture has lasted long enough for children that had been born there to grow up, do you think that it would have been a more stable society as these citizens would never have known any other way of life?

The children of Rapture could have made this city work. They would not have known about Unions, Welfare, Politics or Religion and could have worked as one to build a thriving society of their very own.

I would want to create a plasmid that would transform the skin to steel. By having this power at your disposal would turn a man into Colossal who is one of my favorite X-men characters. Being able to be an opposing force when things were to get out of hand.
Medals: 42
Experienced Hound (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Haughty Hound (1) Halfway There (1) Fortunate (1) 2000 Posts (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Gift of Gab (1) The Year In Review (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) First Time Caller (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Contributor (1) Major Viral (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster XXX (1) Boosting Medley (1) Can I Get A Witness? (1) A Real Hero (1) The Booster Seat (1) Top 10 (1) Deja Vu I (1) 30 Xbox One Completions (1)
All Rounder 2 (1) Denied (1) AHP Competition 2nd (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) VIP GoW #100 Winner (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
24 pcs.
116 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
140 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

bigeasy97
Top Dawg

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Cash on hand: 62003
Bank: 1,013,552.00
United States of America

Postby buffs » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:10 pm

I think he did a good job of building up the increasing problems Rapture faced. From the mechanical problems to the foreshadowing of impending problems. I think even if we didn't know the outcome he did a good job of explaining Rapture's increasing problems.

I agree with bigeasy, Bill definitely took the cake in my book. Even though he didn't agree with everything Ryan did he still was true to him. While creating a plan to make sure he and his family would be okay in the long run.

I think the outside world was the main reason for the downfall of rapture.. If it was a completely isolated society free from the world's influence I think it could have worked out in the long run. Sure there would be a few bumps along the road but I think they could have definitely made Rapture more so the place Ryan envisioned.

Kind of answered this in my previous question but I think it would have definitely made a positive impact on the growth and maturity of Rapture as a city. The influence of the outside world for the most part would end for the most part and people wouldn't yearn for stuff not provided for Rapture.

This is a tough one as a bunch of the plasmids are pretty awesome already. I think maybe a plasmid that lets you fly would be pretty sweet. Maybe not indefinitely but for 30 seconds that way you could do something that people already dream of.. haha
Medals: 32
Seasoned Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) One Of Us (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Literate (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) 1000 posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Guest Star (1) Community Cast Star (1) Donor (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster C (1) Okay, Maybe One More... (1) Can I Get A Witness? (1) Human Polygraph (1) The Booster Seat (1) Eaglemaniac (1) AHP Competition 2nd (1) Viral Games Manager (1) 2012 E3 Swagtacular Entrant (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List Participant (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1)
To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
20 pcs.
20 pcs.
20 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

buffs

Viral Games Manager

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Cash on hand: 74788
Bank: 0.00
United States of America

Postby Mattism » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:05 am

I don’t know if the author was intent on building dread. There was a lot going on and you could start to see where the Rapture might start to fracture. You could also tell that if things went in the toilet down there that it would not be good for the residents. I think that if you did not know what the outcome was you would still accept the way the author went about building the tension through the characters. Probable a point where you were like this crap is getting out of control was when the one grocery shot the other and then himself after Ryan told him to deal with his problem. At that point you could see that if things did not change all heck was going to break loose.
I think that in this section I found that Bill McDonagh and Fontaine were the two most interesting characters during this point in the book. Bill took on the role as protector/upkeeper of Rapture and started to see how things were and not how Ryan said they were. His character grew and transformed but the one flaw is he still let Ryan lead him around at times. Fontaine was just an interesting character and to see that he was involved in plasmids and setting Rapture on its course for failure. I also thought that it was interesting that no matter how much he flaunted what he did in front of Ryan that he was never punished for it.
I think that the smugglers were not helping the citizens of Rapture by doing the smuggling. Sure it is nice to have things you don’t have but with a place like Rapture it can lead to discontent and people wanting to leave. So people now longing for going back to the main land and not being able to do so causes even more dissent to ferment with the population.
I don’t know if it would have been a more stable society. Really the children would have been growing up in a society that crushed people and did not care. If anything these children would have rebelled against everything that Ryan was trying to do. They would have longed for the surface and longed to be different than what was being given to them. So I think that society would not have been more stable.
You know I don’t really know what I would create. I thought about invisible but then again they already have a tonic for that. I guess the plasmid would allow you to move invisible while you still have EVE.
Medals: 45
Experienced Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) One Of Us (1) Charitable (1) Broadcaster (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Majority Shareholder (1) C.E.O. (1) Dog didn't eat your homework! (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Jackpot (1) 1000 posts (1) Street Team (1) First Time Caller (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Benefactor (1) Gold Viral Gamer (1) Booster CCL (1) Eat, Sleep, Boost, Repeat (1) Let's Finish This!! (1) Been there, Done that (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) The Veteran (1) Brick Breaker (1) Violence in Silence (1) A Real Hero (1) Top 10 (1) A True Jedi (1)
Rarefied (1) Consigliere (1) AHPM Thirds Place (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Free Falling (1) 2012 E3 Swagtacular Entrant (1) Scarred For Life (1) To Do List Participant (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
307 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
2 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
340 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Mattism

Boosting Coordinator

Cash on hand: 739894
Bank: 583,489.00
United States of America

Postby nickhawkeye » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:22 am

Sorry, I might be a little late on this but I fell behind a bit for a week there. Here's my Week 2 responses

I think that the author has created plenty of incidents of dread and impending demise. From the "free market" practices that are corroding the infrastructure which would literally bring the whole place down yet Ryan still sticks to his guns and does not impose any controls. this is by far the most dangerous aspect of this city, with all the safety concerns alone this would have to be the most regulated city in the world to have a hope to survive yet the only thing they try and regulate is the thing that's making everyone feel trapped and going crazy.

I find Tenenbaum interesting, although I must admit mostly because I know that things are going to happen so I find myself trying to find out what all the research and politics are leading up to.

I think it helps them in the short run on getting their "fix" but in the long run all it does is remind them that they are trapped and if they hadn't come they could get these items freely. Its also hurting them financially because when you only have a limited source and supplier then the cost skyrockets to whatever people are willing to pay.

"Ignorance is bliss", if they could have somehow gotten a generation under the belt then the experiment might have worked. You can't miss what you don't know or haven't experienced

I would create one to enable flight or teleportation, flight would be fun and teleportation is just cool...plus it saves time when you have to commute every day ;)
Medals: 10
Greyhound (1) Amazonian (1) Literate (1) Community Cast Star (1) Bronze Viral Gamer (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) Participation Puppy (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
%s XBox Live Avatar

nickhawkeye
Graduate

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Cash on hand: 0
Bank: 94,402.00
United States of America

Postby Facial La Fleur » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:38 am

I think even if we didn't know the eventual outcome, you'd feel like he was building up for a serious downfall anyway. The setup for all the little issues that in time will turn into major issues is very interesting to have more in depth details about. The audio diaries in game did this in a way, but only in tiny fragments.

Any of the three characters that are involved in the creation of ADAM, Frank Fonataine, Bridgette Tenenbaum, or Dr. Yi Suchong. While Fontaine is more about mkaing money and rising up, the other two are very peculiar and it's surprising to imagine that they ever worked in their field on dry land with the ideas that they have about methods for achieving their goals in Rapture.

I think the smuggling only helps the smugglers because of the ridiculous prices they charge for the items. If they had the interest of the people in mind instead of themselves, the sure it would a good thing for the general population that wanted them. The lack of supply of the inability to pay the high cost is ultimately what makes it the a problem. I understand great risk is being taken to bring the items to Rapture, but the reward should be that you're assisting in the comfort of others.

With little girls as the target source for ADAM gathering, the population would eventually become zero since there would be no females left to give birth to new ones once the current generation could no longer have them. People in Rapture took their freedoms to such extremes that they could almost literally get away with murder. If nothing else, society needs self moderation to maintain stability.

Probably something involving breathing under water so I could get there hell out of there. :lol:
Medals: 55
Experienced Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Broadcaster (1) Artist (1) Helping Paw (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Best in Show (1) Haughty Hound (1) We Bet You're Smiling (1) 3000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) 6 Month Blogger (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) First Time Caller (1) Inquiry (1) Guest Star (1) Community Cast Star (1) Contributor (1) Major Viral (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster CCL (1) Eat, Sleep, Boost, Repeat (1) Had A Lil Help From My Friends (1)
Why Can't I Quit This Game? (1) Seriously? (1) One For the Spartans (1) Long Service Medal (1) The Veteran (1) Brick Breaker (1) A Real Hero (1) Love To Swipe (1) Yes, They're Brass (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) A True Jedi (1) PC Master Race (1) Denied (1) Gun Collector (1) Rarefied (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Free Falling (1) Scarred For Life (1) To Do List Participant (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
11 pcs.
68 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
392 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Facial La Fleur

Boosting Coordinator

Cash on hand: 35629
Bank: 373,255.00
United States of America

Postby HyruleBalverine » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:16 pm

I think knowing what is coming makes all of the difference here. That sense of "dread" would likely still be there, but without that foresight, I believe that many readers would assume that the best outcome would happen as opposed to the worst.

The head maintenance man and Atlas were the most memorable characters to me; throughout the entire book those where the two whose stories that I wanted to know about... right up to the introduction of our game's hero.

Andrew Ryan is trying to create this utopian society, but he creates the same society that he is trying to escape by building it on the backs of the "have nots" that he uses to build the city. Because of this, a lot of resentment develops between the "haves" and "have nots" just as in real society. The smuggling, in my eyes, just exacerbates this problem because the poor people that have built this city for the rich ones simply cannot afford to get these black market items that the rich ones so casually purchase from smugglers.

I think that it would have taken a few generations before this stability would have occurred. The first-born generation would still have lived with the stories and memories of their parents who had lived in the outside world. The second generation would have been raised by parents with none of the experiences from the outside world, but only some learned ideals from their parents. By the third generation, these pre Rapture no theptions would have mostly, if not entirely, disappeared.

Given that the plasmids were developed in Rapture, I would try to develop one that allows people to breath underwater and/or one that allows them to survive the pressure without a dive suit. Come on, underwater exploration without a big daddy style dive suit? That would be awesome!
Image Image
Medals: 47
New Hound on the Block (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Amazonian (1) Charitable (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Dog didn't eat your homework! (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Jackpot (1) 2000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Gift of Gab (1) The Year In Review (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Philanthropist (1) Colonel Viral (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster L (1) Are We Done Yet? (1) Seriously? (1) One For the Spartans (1) Requiescat In Pace (1)
Brick Breaker (1) Gem in the Rough (1) Love To Swipe (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) Deja Vu I (1) All Rounder 1 (1) Denied (1) Nothing Collector (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Cash on hand: 85639
Bank: 572,172.00
Location: Marysville, WA, USA, North America, Sol 3, Sol System, Orion Arm, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy.
United States of America

Return to Book Club