Achievement Hounds Podcast • View topic - 2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge

Postby HyruleBalverine » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:37 pm

I saw this meme going around Facebook and decided to try it. I have a few friends doing it too, so set up a hub for it as a Facebook group. If anybody wants to do it to, feel free to join the public Facebook group and post there - or here - about the challenge and your progress.
https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/groups/1 ... =bookmarks

As I'm on my phone right now, I'll edit this post later with all twelve of the book types/categories for the challenge, but for now, here's a few that I remember.

A book published this year
A book published before you were born
A book you own but haven't read
A book you'd started but gave up on
A book you can finish in a day
A book you've been meaning to read
A book recommended by your local librarian or bookseller
A book you should have read in school
A book chosen for you by your spouse, partner, sibling, child or BFF
A book that was banned at some point
A book that intimidates you
A book that you've already read at least once
Last edited by ozbundyboy on Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I edited this to save you the risk of losing points
Image Image
Medals: 47
New Hound on the Block (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Amazonian (1) Charitable (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Dog didn't eat your homework! (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Jackpot (1) 2000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Gift of Gab (1) The Year In Review (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Philanthropist (1) Colonel Viral (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster L (1) Are We Done Yet? (1) Seriously? (1) One For the Spartans (1) Requiescat In Pace (1)
Brick Breaker (1) Gem in the Rough (1) Love To Swipe (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) Deja Vu I (1) All Rounder 1 (1) Denied (1) Nothing Collector (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Cash on hand: 53511
Bank: 469,616.00
Location: Marysville, WA, USA, North America, Sol 3, Sol System, Orion Arm, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy.
United States of America

Re: 2016 Reading Challenge

Postby ozbundyboy » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:06 pm

It sounds interesting, the only one I will have any major problem on is remembering books I should have read at school.
Medals: 46
Seasoned Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Charitable (1) Broadcaster (1) Helping Paw (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) 4000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Weekly Blogger (1) Progress?? (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Donor (1) Booster CCL (1) Socialite (1) Can I Get A Witness? (1) Been there, Done that (1) Brick Breaker (1) For Albion! (1)
10 Xbox One Completions (1) Rarefied (1) AHP Competition 1st (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Community Manager (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Scarred For Life (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
155 pcs.
453 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

ozbundyboy

Community Manager

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Cash on hand: 138630
Bank: 0.00
Australia

Postby HyruleBalverine » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:46 pm

For me, that would be stuff like "Romeo and Juliet" or "To Kill a Mockingbird".
Image Image
New Hound on the Block (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Amazonian (1) Charitable (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Dog didn't eat your homework! (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Jackpot (1) 2000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Gift of Gab (1) The Year In Review (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Philanthropist (1) Colonel Viral (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster L (1) Are We Done Yet? (1) Seriously? (1) One For the Spartans (1) Requiescat In Pace (1)
Brick Breaker (1) Gem in the Rough (1) Love To Swipe (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) Deja Vu I (1) All Rounder 1 (1) Denied (1) Nothing Collector (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

Location: Marysville, WA, USA, North America, Sol 3, Sol System, Orion Arm, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy.
United States of America

Postby ozbundyboy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:57 pm

The only books I can remember having to read in high school are as follows:-

Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham
1984 by George Orwell
Animal Farm by George Orwell
My Brother Jack by George Johnston
Lord of the Flies by William Golding

I do remember another book (but not the title) that is about a family that moved from Scotland to Australia in the 1950's. The first half of the book is set in Scotland and second half in Australia. I think this book had Orange in the title.
Seasoned Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Charitable (1) Broadcaster (1) Helping Paw (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) 4000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Weekly Blogger (1) Progress?? (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Donor (1) Booster CCL (1) Socialite (1) Can I Get A Witness? (1) Been there, Done that (1) Brick Breaker (1) For Albion! (1)
10 Xbox One Completions (1) Rarefied (1) AHP Competition 1st (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Community Manager (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Scarred For Life (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
155 pcs.
453 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

ozbundyboy

Community Manager

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Australia

Postby HyruleBalverine » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:21 pm

First; thanks for the edit, Oz. I just got a chance to do this and saw that you'd done it for me!

Ok, now some updates.

I've read two already. I finished A Princess of Mars, which counts for "A book published before you were born" (1917; I was born much, much later than that!)
I read, while eating dinner, Shrek, by William Steig, which counts for "A book you can finish in a day"
Image Image
Virtual Shelf:
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

United States of America

Postby Mattism » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:40 am

I might give this a try
Medals: 45
Experienced Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) One Of Us (1) Charitable (1) Broadcaster (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Majority Shareholder (1) C.E.O. (1) Dog didn't eat your homework! (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Jackpot (1) 1000 posts (1) Street Team (1) First Time Caller (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Benefactor (1) Gold Viral Gamer (1) Booster CCL (1) Eat, Sleep, Boost, Repeat (1) Let's Finish This!! (1) Been there, Done that (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) The Veteran (1) Brick Breaker (1) Violence in Silence (1) A Real Hero (1) Top 10 (1) A True Jedi (1)
Rarefied (1) Consigliere (1) AHPM Thirds Place (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Free Falling (1) 2012 E3 Swagtacular Entrant (1) Scarred For Life (1) To Do List Participant (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
307 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
2 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
340 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Mattism

Boosting Coordinator

Cash on hand: 641386
Bank: 478,904.00
United States of America

Postby hotcurls3088 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:29 pm

I will try to get some of the challenge done
Medals: 8
Seasoned Hound (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Haughty Hound (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1)
Virtual Shelf:
5 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

hotcurls3088
Progeny

Cash on hand: 18825
United States of America

Postby se7ense7ensR49 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:36 pm

I've had Sun Tsu's Art of War sitting on my bookshelf for about 3 years now. So, would that count as a book published before you were born, own but haven't read and you've been meaning to read? Or is it one book for each category?
Otherwise I think the only problem I'll have completing this list is the book i should have read in school. The only one I can remember was the Catcher in the Rye, and there's no way i want to read that crap again.
Medals: 1
Haughty Hound (1)
%s XBox Live Avatar

se7ense7ensR49
Puppy

1 year of membership

Cash on hand: 242
Bank: 3,673.00
Australia

Postby ozbundyboy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:01 pm

se7ense7ensR49 wrote:I've had Sun Tsu's Art of War sitting on my bookshelf for about 3 years now. So, would that count as a book published before you were born, own but haven't read and you've been meaning to read? Or is it one book for each category?
Otherwise I think the only problem I'll have completing this list is the book i should have read in school. The only one I can remember was the Catcher in the Rye, and there's no way i want to read that crap again.

I think by should have read in school is a book that was on your reading list that you didn't read, in my case I think "Day of the Triffids" is a good example as I watched the movie instead of reading the book.
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
155 pcs.
453 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

ozbundyboy

Community Manager

Australia

Postby HyruleBalverine » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:36 pm

Each category would require a different book. As for a book that you should have read at school, I imagine that you had about twelve years of schooling, plus any time at college/university, so is expect that at some point you either read our were supposed to read something other than Catcher In The Rye. As I'm running this here on the forums, I'll even accept a book you did a book report on in school.
Image Image
Virtual Shelf:
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

United States of America

Postby se7ense7ensR49 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:00 pm

HyruleBalverine wrote:Each category would require a different book. As for a book that you should have read at school, I imagine that you had about twelve years of schooling, plus any time at college/university, so is expect that at some point you either read our were supposed to read something other than Catcher In The Rye. As I'm running this here on the forums, I'll even accept a book you did a book report on in school.
fair enough. Problem though is I finished school 20 years ago and i can't remember any books I "should" have read. I'll have a chat to some of my school friends and see if they can remember. In the meantime I'm reading "The Decisive Duel - Spitfire vs Bf109" by David Isby. It's one i've been meaning to read.
Medals: 1
Haughty Hound (1)
%s XBox Live Avatar

se7ense7ensR49
Puppy

1 year of membership

Cash on hand: 242
Bank: 3,673.00
Australia

Postby ozbundyboy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:00 pm

se7ense7ensR49 wrote:
HyruleBalverine wrote:Each category would require a different book. As for a book that you should have read at school, I imagine that you had about twelve years of schooling, plus any time at college/university, so is expect that at some point you either read our were supposed to read something other than Catcher In The Rye. As I'm running this here on the forums, I'll even accept a book you did a book report on in school.
fair enough. Problem though is I finished school 20 years ago and i can't remember any books I "should" have read. I'll have a chat to some of my school friends and see if they can remember. In the meantime I'm reading "The Decisive Duel - Spitfire vs Bf109" by David Isby. It's one i've been meaning to read.

I have the same problem as I finished school 30 years ago. Any other schooling I have done was at TAFE (Technical and Further Education) where the courses taught the skills needed on the job for the particular field of study. I studied Office Administration and Accounting and the only required reading for these courses, I read as theywere text books. I no longer have any of the office administration books (22 years ago) but have most of my accounting text books. The accounting books are too boring for me to want to read again.
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
155 pcs.
453 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

ozbundyboy

Community Manager

Australia

Postby HyruleBalverine » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:03 pm

I hear you guys; I graduated in 1997. I only remember a few books that I've read in school, or that teachers read when I was a kid. Romeo and Juliet; To Kill a Mockingbird; The Old Man and the Sea; Interstellar Pig; Earth Abides; The B.F.G.; The Book of Three... and that's all I remember from my schooling (Grades k-12, plus college).
Image Image
Virtual Shelf:
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

United States of America

Postby ozbundyboy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:12 am

I did Year 12 (senior year of secondary school) in 1986 (now I feel old)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
155 pcs.
453 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

ozbundyboy

Community Manager

Australia

Postby HyruleBalverine » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:48 am

I just finished. World War Z, which is a book I started but gave up on. Not sure yet what I'll read next.
Image Image
Virtual Shelf:
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

United States of America

Postby HyruleBalverine » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:34 am

I finished two more books (the other was a while ago, I just failed to update) so my list now stands as follows:

A book published before you were born (A Princess of Mars)
A book you'd started but gave up on (World War Z)
A book you can finish in a day (Shrek)
A book you've been meaning to read (Deathstalker)
A book chosen for you by your spouse, partner, sibling, child or BFF (The Gargoyle)
Image Image
Virtual Shelf:
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

United States of America

Postby ozbundyboy » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:38 pm

I have actually made progress on my list.

A book published before you were born
A book you'd started but gave up on
A book you can finish in a day
A book you've been meaning to read
A book chosen for you by your spouse, partner, sibling, child or BFF (Mortal Instruments: City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
155 pcs.
453 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

ozbundyboy

Community Manager

Australia

Return to Book Club