Achievement Hounds Podcast • View topic - Zed To Zed Podcast Community / Future Of AHP

Zed To Zed Podcast Community / Future Of AHP

Zed To Zed Podcast Community / Future Of AHP

Postby Freamwhole » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:48 am

Hello everyone,

It has been abundantly clear that there is growing disappointment in the day to day found on the AHP Forums. Many of us, myself included, are super frustrated that the hosts of this site have completely abandoned it. I have no concern that they will even read this post to comment on the state of their forums - podcast or no. Which has been unbelievably frustrating. The prizes that once flowed freely, the podcast that took a much deserved break only to never come back, the contests that once proliferated here. Now we are left with meaningless Amazon affiliate contests, no funds for prizes, a dying international viral games community, sparsely attending boosting sessions, our newest members being bots and THEY post more of the forums than any newcomer. The chat window will sit idle for days, the member recognition section hasn't been addressed since 2014 - its appalling. And this is coming from someone in myself that joined just before the podcast proper took their hiatus. I wasn't even here for the glory days and to see the shambles this place has become is disheartening.

What I think we CAN agree on is that this community is filled with great gamers and many of us have developed friendships and community ties through all of the really cool things the AHP forums have provided. I personally can attest to the contest scene I've begun running, the participation across so many events and boosting sessions, and the ability to jump on the AHP Community Show and begin honing my craft for podcasting and ultimately launching the Zed To Zed Podcast.

The response to my new show has been beyond what I could imagine and the listener feedback and input has been significant. This has led Tarragon and I to discuss having a forum to call our own. A place to bring the Zed To Zed listeners together to foster a home like we have here.

So that brings up the next piece - what does this community think? Should we start a new site with a clean slate and build it from the ground up? Should we approach the AHP hosts and ask to take over this place - keep everything a rebrand the site? Or if the Achievements Hounds need to stay - should there be new management - anyone dedicated to helping this site reclaim the great things that have already passed?

I'm curious what everyone here thinks, because many of you, I would consider friends and all of you, I would consider a great community base.

Everything is on the table - the time has come to open the conversation about this community, because I'm not ready to sit back and watch it wither and die.
Living the dream (because I'm always half asleep)
Medals: 25
New Hound on the Block (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) Amazonian (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) 2000 Posts (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Progress?? (1) Representative (1) Community Cast Star (1) Booster X (1) Boosting Medley (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
58 pcs.
126 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Freamwhole
Top Dawg

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Cash on hand: 9393
Bank: 780,019.00
United States of America

Re: Zed To Zed Podcast Community / Future Of AHP

Postby R56CooperS11 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:25 am

I think you guys should definitely start a new site with a clean slate and build it from the ground up? A Site that Zed to Zed can call their own and you can shape it to be "Zed to Zed". I'm confident that the main hosts will one day get back to this site.
Medals: 22
New Hound on the Block (1) Greyhound (1) One Of Us (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) 200 Posts (1) Community Cast Star (1) Booster CL (1) Socialite (1) Can I Get A Witness? (1) AHP Competition 1st (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Participation Hound (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
119 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
316 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

R56CooperS11

Boosting Coordinator

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Cash on hand: 305146
Bank: 0.00
Australia

Postby TheNyghty » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:34 am

Taking over the site or not the "original" hosts need to pass on the torch. I think starting from new would benefit you better making yourself able to contribute more to the community.
Medals: 17
New Hound on the Block (1) One Of Us (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Representative (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster I (1) 10 Xbox One Completions (1) All Rounder 1 (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
23 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

TheNyghty
Hound

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Cash on hand: 107374
Canada

Postby Freamwhole » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:47 am

R56CooperS11 wrote:I think you guys should definitely start a new site with a clean slate and build it from the ground up? A Site that Zed to Zed can call their own and you can shape it to be "Zed to Zed". I'm confident that the main hosts will one day get back to this site.

I don't share your optimism they are coming back.
New Hound on the Block (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) Amazonian (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) 2000 Posts (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Progress?? (1) Representative (1) Community Cast Star (1) Booster X (1) Boosting Medley (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
58 pcs.
126 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Freamwhole
Top Dawg

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

United States of America

Postby Freamwhole » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:49 am

The reason I posed this as a Zed To Zed topic is that I want this community on a site that Tarragon and I can manage - this group of people is great and I want to continue gaming and joking and chatting with them (you).
Virtual Shelf:
58 pcs.
126 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Freamwhole
Top Dawg

United States of America

Postby JelliedBigfoot » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:58 am

I agree, starting a new site would probably benefit zed to zed more as you have unlimited possibilities. If you were to try and rebrand this site you would have to build on an already established foundation which could offer pros and cons but that's something you guys would need to weigh. Either way I think it's safe to say most of this community would also inject into the new zed to zed community.

I myself didn't discover the achievement hounds site until my several year hiatus from gaming. I'd started listening to the community shows after seeing a few hounds boosting sessions on TA. So I wasn't around for the hay days everyone else experienced. So this past year has been when I've seen the most activity, as of late though it has dwindled whether due to life obligations or deteriorating interest. I've been a member of the site for a year though and I can say this site has done more to support my gaming habits and forge new relationships than any other media outlet I have.

If there was help needed on this site or the other, I'm willing to offer my time, not much expertise, but time is hard to come by for some. I'm willing to support running any contests or forums where needed.
Medals: 16
New Hound on the Block (1) Greyhound (1) One Of Us (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) 600 posts (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Donor (1) Captain Viral (1) Silver Viral Gamer (1) Can I Get A Witness? (1) 10 Xbox One Completions (1) Participation Puppy (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
4 pcs.
90 pcs.
50 pcs.
54 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

JelliedBigfoot
Top Dawg

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Cash on hand: 66869
Bank: 150,211.00
United States of America

Postby spankynspronkle » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:12 am

To be brutally honest, the only thing of value here is the members. No real value for you to take over and try to rebrand. You'd be better off with a new site and you can migrate over the members and contests. Take away the 6 or so people keeping the site running through hard work and contests (I'm not one of them) and the site would cease to exist shortly after...
Medals: 59
Experienced Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Charitable (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Halfway There (1) Jackpot (1) Code Cracker (1) 3000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Month Long Informer (1) Intern Blogger (1) Progress?? (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Donor (1) Colonel Viral (1) Silver Viral Gamer (1) Booster XX (1) Monotonous Yet Diverse (1)
May The Forza Be With You (1) The Booster Seat (1) Love To Swipe (1) First! (1) Deja Vu I (1) 30 Xbox One Completions (1) Denied (1) Eaglemaniac (1) Down, Fido (1) BFF (1) Sandwich Lover (1) Gun Hoarder (1) Points to Burn (1) Nothing Collector (1) The Collector (1) Rarefied (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Community Manager (1) Free Falling (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List Participant (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
22 pcs.
120 pcs.
10 pcs.
137 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

spankynspronkle

Community Manager

Cash on hand: 0
Bank: 735,002.00
United States of America

Postby JerithGeros » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:21 am

While I still have yet to actually listen to a full episode of the new podcast, I'd agree that making your own community home for it is the way to go. It'd help ensure that the best things about this community are carried forward without some of the baggage that goes along with that (The completionist in me will be sad about losing all my shiny badges that I have here, but those are just trivialities).

While my web specific programming knowledge is years out of date, I'd still be willing to chip in some time to help out, if needed.
Medals: 49
Experienced Hound (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) Amazonian (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Jackpot (1) 1000 posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Gift of Gab (1) The Year In Review (1) Representative (1) Community Cast Star (1) Donor (1) Colonel Viral (1) Silver Viral Gamer (1) Booster C (1) Okay, Maybe One More... (1) Can I Get A Witness? (1) Been there, Done that (1) Seriously? (1) One For the Spartans (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) The Veteran (1) BSAA Professional (1) Gat's Protige (1) Brick Breaker (1)
I've Covered Wars, You Know (1) May The Forza Be With You (1) Playing in the Sandbox (1) Violence in Silence (1) Made Man (1) A Real Hero (1) Yes, They're Brass (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) Bethesdaholic (1) Deja Vu I (1) All Rounder 1 (1) AHP Competition 1st (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
27 pcs.
119 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
227 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

JerithGeros
Top Dawg

Cash on hand: 531380
United States of America

Postby bigeasy97 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:03 am

I am a little behind on the podcast, just got to the episode featuring Maka, but I am loving the new show so far. The length is great, the format is great, and the content has been awesome. This show has definitely helped me power through my daily runs since I just get super bored on those runs when I don't have anything to listen to.

I agree with the others who have already posted, id definitely suggest striking out on your own. By starting from scratch you are able to steer clear of the clutter that has developed within these forums and you are also able to add forum content as you grow and get a feel of the wants and needs of your loyal community members.

Speaking of loyal community members, I have definitely felt that this community has had the best members its just frustrating that the founders have completely abandoned those who helped them build up the AHP site. While I doubt I will have a ton of gaming time going forward in my day to day life, I would love to help out with the Zed to Zed community in any way possible.

Good luck to you Fream and to the future of Zed to Zed.
Medals: 42
Experienced Hound (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Haughty Hound (1) Halfway There (1) Fortunate (1) 2000 Posts (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Gift of Gab (1) The Year In Review (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) First Time Caller (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Contributor (1) Major Viral (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster XXX (1) Boosting Medley (1) Can I Get A Witness? (1) A Real Hero (1) The Booster Seat (1) Top 10 (1) Deja Vu I (1) 30 Xbox One Completions (1)
All Rounder 2 (1) Denied (1) AHP Competition 2nd (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) VIP GoW #100 Winner (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
24 pcs.
116 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
140 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

bigeasy97
Top Dawg

Cash on hand: 62003
Bank: 1,038,890.00
United States of America

Postby NBA Kirkland » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:10 am

If it were me I would try to get some control over this site. Simply because setting up a new site from scratch sounds like much more work.
Send me a friend request on TA and Twitter @NBAKirkland
Medals: 18
New Hound on the Block (1) Seasoned Hound (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Community Meetup (1) Bronze Viral Gamer (1) One For the Spartans (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) Yes, They're Brass (1) Top 10 (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) 2012 E3 Swagtacular Entrant (1) Participation Puppy (1) To Do List Participant (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1)
Virtual Shelf:
3 pcs.
111 pcs.
1 pcs.
103 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

NBA Kirkland
Hound

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Cash on hand: 131198

Postby acaraba2 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:52 am

Go with your own new site. Site requires updating and cleaning up. More work than just starting a new site.
It's just that time for new site/fresh start.

Anyway the only things that are going on around here regularly

A. Monthly Contests Check-ins
B. Viral Games Check-ins

Everything gets done whenever.

Nothing else just a routine, that can be done anywhere.
Medals: 50
Experienced Hound (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Amazonian (1) Charitable (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Community Meetup (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Halfway There (1) We Bet You're Smiling (1) 1000 posts (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Intern Blogger (1) Progress?? (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) Benefactor (1) Captain Viral (1) Gold Viral Gamer (1) Booster CCL (1) Eat, Sleep, Boost, Repeat (1) Had A Lil Help From My Friends (1) Been there, Done that (1) Seriously? (1) Brick Breaker (1) May The Forza Be With You (1)
Eye Of The Tiger (1) Gooooaaaaalllll!!!! (1) Love To Swipe (1) Yes, They're Brass (1) Top 10 (1) First! (1) Deja Vu II (1) 10 Xbox One Completions (1) All Rounder 3 (1) AHP Competition 1st (1) March Madness (1) Fantasy Football Winner (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
16 pcs.
132 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
395 pcs.
acaraba2

Boosting Coordinator

Cash on hand: 72706
Bank: 2,500,561.00
United States of America

Postby Ms Dudette » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:11 pm

for what its worth...I agree with the new site.
this one is old, tired, broken, etc. true it is established and has a good core of people.. it will be detrimental to you and your purpose.

I have been on this site near a year now. and am very disappointed and frustrated (have stated this many times). I remain only for the people, which are an amazing group. tho I have only a few interactions. everything else IMO only...is being wasted.

go
go with a new site. I have a good feeling about this.

good luck and prosperity
have fun
Medals: 3
Haughty Hound (1) Booster X (1) Boosting Medley (1)
Ms Dudette
Graduate

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Cash on hand: 18448

Postby Kez001 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:15 pm

New site all the way. I can't imagine it would be much more work than tearing this one down and/or cleaning it up and rebuilding anyhow, plus you'd have full control of it, which is clearly something the absent hosts here aren't willing to surrender.

There's also the issue that comes with upgrading this site that results in everyone's medals and such things getting erased and having to start over from scratch and there was a lot of resistance to that idea, including myself, but starting over somewhere else pretty much remedies that and allows you to determine whether you want to bother implementing medals (which I think are a great idea) and/or other systems, which haven't turned out so well here. Achievement points never really got the development they needed to be a useful thing on this site, nor did stocks beyond the first five that granted access to a "special" weekly contest. There were some ideas for these things being fleshed out a bit better but they were ignored by the people able to actually implement changes at the time and resulted in site members who used to be very active drifting off to find new homes.

The site currently boasts 1122 "members", though most of the regulars know that there are probably only 30 active people on the site at this point plus another 10-15 lurkers who read things regularly but never post. Many of these so-called members are duplicate accounts either from people who couldn't remember their original login or changed their gamertag and made a new site account to match it or thought it would be funny to post on multiple accounts or just used them to try to win contest prizes. I'd rather see that number accurately reflected and know that more of those members actually bothered to log in to the site sometimes and check things out than leaving them there to boost the appearance of a large community while ignoring the fact that many of them haven't been around since 2012 or 2013.

There are a few forums/subforums here that have been completely unused for YEARS and only a handful of forums that are visited regularly...the most popular at this point probably being the blogs, though that's been dying lately too.

Contests go where Fream goes at this point in my opinion. Lots of new ideas plus the willingness to (mostly) keep things updated plus an expanding network of people able to implement systems to assist with the creation and running of contests (spaceman + the TA crew) leads to NEW things that would be good for pulling in members. That's not to say that all contests need to be limited to this site or a new one, though, since TA already has so much of what's needed to run achievement contests implemented in their own site. The weekly/monthly stuff is fun, as well, but needs more attention than it's receiving at this point...there's more incentive to participate when there's a chance that your participation leads to shaping the direction of the contest through picking the games for the coming weeks. The current problem is that that particular reward is tied to the distribution of dog bone rewards, which have trouble getting distributed due to how annoying that entire process is AND the fact that people actually have lives and want to do things with their free time other than sit around for hours handing out virtual tokens. The lack of a variety of people picking games for weekly/monthly contests has led to a handful of people picking regularly and the "themes" idea that we once had, especially in the AHAH, has been gone for a while now. Participation in these contests has dropped significantly and I think a large portion of that has to do with prize distribution - if you win, you have a chance to win useless tokens, useless tokens and/or money. Things were more appealing when the prize was guaranteed monetary reward for the randomly selected winner. The biggest part of this particular problem goes back to the site hosts being MIA and simply not caring even before they vanished.

Amazon affiliation, which could (as far as I know) support the prize pool for contests, has dropped of significantly since being ignored for so long. The feeling now is basically one of, "Wait, what are they doing with the money generated?" Now I'll be the first to admit that I've got ZERO idea how much money this generated at its peak, nor do I have any idea how much money is required simply for hosting costs of a site like this, but with an active, member-beneficial program like we used to have, I believe it pays for things pretty well. Unfortunately, when you just leave it and stop paying out, as has happened here, people simply stop using it. I'm not saying there needs to be a monthly drawing for a cash prize for using the Amazon link, but at least give the members some indication of where that money is going and/or use it to fund site contests to get people interested again...especially the monthly stuff that can be easily run on a site like this rather than TA (Birthday contest, AHAH, GoW). How many of the people who are currently active bothered to use the affiliation link over the holidays? I know I didn't...and I know the girlfriend bought probably $800 worth of stuff off Amazon just during the holidays and continues to buy stuff regularly...but there's no incentive anymore to try to convince her to go through extra steps in order to benefit this site.

Viral Games, which used to be a pretty big draw to the site has seen a MASSIVE decline in participation, including the closing of the UK branch due to lack of participation and the Aussie branch when Rogue shipped the majority of the VG library to a GTASC teammate during 2014. Canada has a few people participating, but as far as I can tell, most of that is run off-site. The US branch has been dying pretty regularly since the release of the XBox One, which really isn't all that surprising since most of the easily-completable and fast games on the console are digital-only and much of what's available in the current game library is almost as cheap to buy used as it is to ship. This would actually be my biggest personal issue with migrating to a new site. If the program continues, do the games migrate also and if the program is allowed to die, what's the "right" thing to do with games then? That question has sort of led me to feeling stuck with VG for a while now...participation is down enough that it's tempting to pull the plug...but I have no idea what to do with the games if I do. There's also the issue of stolen games...at one time, if someone just took a game and failed to respond for long periods of time, a "wanted" poster was generated and they were excluded for all other site activities until the issue was resolved...it's long been impossible to get that type of support.

Staff is another problem and something to be aware of whether taking over this site or establishing another - there needs to be a clear set of guidelines as to what's expected from people in staff roles and an expectation that if their lives get too busy or they lose interest they need to step down or be removed. It doesn't benefit anyone to have people hanging onto staff titles just for the sake of keeping a different colored name on the forums. A lot of this is just personal frustration since I have a VGM that I have to contact through every available outlet multiple times in order to get games out of storage, but it's an issue in other areas as well - 2 of the 4 red names haven't logged into the site this year, the other 2 haven't been on in a month or more, we have 2 Boosting Club coordinators who haven't logged on this year and weren't doing much prior to that, my previously-mentioned VGM is only showing a recent login because I finally pestered him enough to get a response...prior to that, the last login was October. Staff need to be people who care about the site and care about moving things forward...but they also need support from people actually able to make changes. Part of the problem here is that things weren't very clearly defined in the beginning.

I welcome change at this point. Every single person from this site that I game with and talk to regularly recognizes that things have taken a pretty sharp downward turn over the past year or so and I think we're mostly only sticking around for the sake of community. If you have any reservations about the idea of starting a new site and "taking" members, keep in mind that it's entirely possible for people to still be a member on this site as well as a new one and if the hosts of this site care about keeping it active (even though we know they don't, especially looking at when they logged in last), they have the opportunity to step up and try to fix things and get people interested again.
Medals: 45
Experienced Hound (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) Amazonian (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Halfway There (1) Fortunate (1) 2000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Gift of Gab (1) The Year In Review (1) Contributor (1) Colonel Viral (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster CL (1) Eat, Sleep, Boost, Repeat (1) Had A Lil Help From My Friends (1) Been there, Done that (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) Brick Breaker (1) A Real Hero (1) Love To Swipe (1) Top 10 (1) Bethesdaholic (1) 10 Xbox One Completions (1)
All Rounder 2 (1) Nothing Collector (1) AHP Competition 1st (1) AHP Competition 2nd (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Viral Games Manager (1) To Do List Participant (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
22 pcs.
182 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
2 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
403 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Kez001
Top Dawg

Cash on hand: 207785
Bank: 1,483,537.00
United States of America

Postby Facial La Fleur » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:30 pm

While there's probably no one that is more frustrated by how this site has deteriorated, I'm not quite ready to abandon ship completely. A lot of hard work and effort has gone into the features here and it's hard to just walk away from all of it and start anew. I've up and left other sites without a second thought, but I wasn't as invested in those as I am AH. I'm sure at some point my frustration will reach critical mass and I'll just be done with it all, but I'm not quite there yet... but the clock is ticking. Of course, if you were to make a new site, I would join and support it. I like to be surrounded by other passionate people, but it's pretty clear some just don't have their hearts in it anymore and part of mine has been drug down with them. :(
Medals: 55
Experienced Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Broadcaster (1) Artist (1) Helping Paw (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Best in Show (1) Haughty Hound (1) We Bet You're Smiling (1) 3000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) 6 Month Blogger (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) First Time Caller (1) Inquiry (1) Guest Star (1) Community Cast Star (1) Contributor (1) Major Viral (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster CCL (1) Eat, Sleep, Boost, Repeat (1) Had A Lil Help From My Friends (1)
Why Can't I Quit This Game? (1) Seriously? (1) One For the Spartans (1) Long Service Medal (1) The Veteran (1) Brick Breaker (1) A Real Hero (1) Love To Swipe (1) Yes, They're Brass (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) A True Jedi (1) PC Master Race (1) Denied (1) Gun Collector (1) Rarefied (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Free Falling (1) Scarred For Life (1) To Do List Participant (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
11 pcs.
68 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
392 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Facial La Fleur

Boosting Coordinator

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Cash on hand: 35629
Bank: 382,585.00
United States of America

Postby Freamwhole » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:31 pm

Kez001 wrote:New site all the way. I can't imagine it would be much more work than tearing this one down and/or cleaning it up and rebuilding anyhow, plus you'd have full control of it, which is clearly something the absent hosts here aren't willing to surrender.

Spoiler: show
There's also the issue that comes with upgrading this site that results in everyone's medals and such things getting erased and having to start over from scratch and there was a lot of resistance to that idea, including myself, but starting over somewhere else pretty much remedies that and allows you to determine whether you want to bother implementing medals (which I think are a great idea) and/or other systems, which haven't turned out so well here. Achievement points never really got the development they needed to be a useful thing on this site, nor did stocks beyond the first five that granted access to a "special" weekly contest. There were some ideas for these things being fleshed out a bit better but they were ignored by the people able to actually implement changes at the time and resulted in site members who used to be very active drifting off to find new homes.

The site currently boasts 1122 "members", though most of the regulars know that there are probably only 30 active people on the site at this point plus another 10-15 lurkers who read things regularly but never post. Many of these so-called members are duplicate accounts either from people who couldn't remember their original login or changed their gamertag and made a new site account to match it or thought it would be funny to post on multiple accounts or just used them to try to win contest prizes. I'd rather see that number accurately reflected and know that more of those members actually bothered to log in to the site sometimes and check things out than leaving them there to boost the appearance of a large community while ignoring the fact that many of them haven't been around since 2012 or 2013.

There are a few forums/subforums here that have been completely unused for YEARS and only a handful of forums that are visited regularly...the most popular at this point probably being the blogs, though that's been dying lately too.

Contests go where Fream goes at this point in my opinion. Lots of new ideas plus the willingness to (mostly) keep things updated plus an expanding network of people able to implement systems to assist with the creation and running of contests (spaceman + the TA crew) leads to NEW things that would be good for pulling in members. That's not to say that all contests need to be limited to this site or a new one, though, since TA already has so much of what's needed to run achievement contests implemented in their own site. The weekly/monthly stuff is fun, as well, but needs more attention than it's receiving at this point...there's more incentive to participate when there's a chance that your participation leads to shaping the direction of the contest through picking the games for the coming weeks. The current problem is that that particular reward is tied to the distribution of dog bone rewards, which have trouble getting distributed due to how annoying that entire process is AND the fact that people actually have lives and want to do things with their free time other than sit around for hours handing out virtual tokens. The lack of a variety of people picking games for weekly/monthly contests has led to a handful of people picking regularly and the "themes" idea that we once had, especially in the AHAH, has been gone for a while now. Participation in these contests has dropped significantly and I think a large portion of that has to do with prize distribution - if you win, you have a chance to win useless tokens, useless tokens and/or money. Things were more appealing when the prize was guaranteed monetary reward for the randomly selected winner. The biggest part of this particular problem goes back to the site hosts being MIA and simply not caring even before they vanished.

Amazon affiliation, which could (as far as I know) support the prize pool for contests, has dropped of significantly since being ignored for so long. The feeling now is basically one of, "Wait, what are they doing with the money generated?" Now I'll be the first to admit that I've got ZERO idea how much money this generated at its peak, nor do I have any idea how much money is required simply for hosting costs of a site like this, but with an active, member-beneficial program like we used to have, I believe it pays for things pretty well. Unfortunately, when you just leave it and stop paying out, as has happened here, people simply stop using it. I'm not saying there needs to be a monthly drawing for a cash prize for using the Amazon link, but at least give the members some indication of where that money is going and/or use it to fund site contests to get people interested again...especially the monthly stuff that can be easily run on a site like this rather than TA (Birthday contest, AHAH, GoW). How many of the people who are currently active bothered to use the affiliation link over the holidays? I know I didn't...and I know the girlfriend bought probably $800 worth of stuff off Amazon just during the holidays and continues to buy stuff regularly...but there's no incentive anymore to try to convince her to go through extra steps in order to benefit this site.

Viral Games, which used to be a pretty big draw to the site has seen a MASSIVE decline in participation, including the closing of the UK branch due to lack of participation and the Aussie branch when Rogue shipped the majority of the VG library to a GTASC teammate during 2014. Canada has a few people participating, but as far as I can tell, most of that is run off-site. The US branch has been dying pretty regularly since the release of the XBox One, which really isn't all that surprising since most of the easily-completable and fast games on the console are digital-only and much of what's available in the current game library is almost as cheap to buy used as it is to ship. This would actually be my biggest personal issue with migrating to a new site. If the program continues, do the games migrate also and if the program is allowed to die, what's the "right" thing to do with games then? That question has sort of led me to feeling stuck with VG for a while now...participation is down enough that it's tempting to pull the plug...but I have no idea what to do with the games if I do. There's also the issue of stolen games...at one time, if someone just took a game and failed to respond for long periods of time, a "wanted" poster was generated and they were excluded for all other site activities until the issue was resolved...it's long been impossible to get that type of support.

Staff is another problem and something to be aware of whether taking over this site or establishing another - there needs to be a clear set of guidelines as to what's expected from people in staff roles and an expectation that if their lives get too busy or they lose interest they need to step down or be removed. It doesn't benefit anyone to have people hanging onto staff titles just for the sake of keeping a different colored name on the forums. A lot of this is just personal frustration since I have a VGM that I have to contact through every available outlet multiple times in order to get games out of storage, but it's an issue in other areas as well - 2 of the 4 red names haven't logged into the site this year, the other 2 haven't been on in a month or more, we have 2 Boosting Club coordinators who haven't logged on this year and weren't doing much prior to that, my previously-mentioned VGM is only showing a recent login because I finally pestered him enough to get a response...prior to that, the last login was October. Staff need to be people who care about the site and care about moving things forward...but they also need support from people actually able to make changes. Part of the problem here is that things weren't very clearly defined in the beginning.

I welcome change at this point. Every single person from this site that I game with and talk to regularly recognizes that things have taken a pretty sharp downward turn over the past year or so and I think we're mostly only sticking around for the sake of community. If you have any reservations about the idea of starting a new site and "taking" members, keep in mind that it's entirely possible for people to still be a member on this site as well as a new one and if the hosts of this site care about keeping it active (even though we know they don't, especially looking at when they logged in last),
they have the opportunity to step up and try to fix things and get people interested again.

Well said.
Virtual Shelf:
58 pcs.
126 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Freamwhole
Top Dawg

United States of America

Postby kbeau73 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:56 pm

While not being a prominent member here I figured I would add in my two cents...

When I first joined here I felt like this site's activity was amazing and have seen it downward spiral. For the longest time I really wasn't even sure there were "owners" of the site. Seemed to me that Kez ran viral games, Fream, Oz and Facial did most of the contests (among others who I apologize for forgetting your screen names) and others were in charge of the podcasts. It eventually lead me to create a web page for my friends whom I gamed with quite a bit and while it's been fun... the activity is no where what this site was. I often look to ways to make it better but the key is participation and the support of it's members. While I don't have extensive knowledge in running a website or technicalities of it, I would like to help if needed. I often feel the site I built is somewhat limited. I attempted to start a viral games with our folks but to be honest, there were only really 3 or 4 of us that were active. One thing I always liked about this site was the constant gaming sessions, which I started doing on my site. Now, I don't want to get off topic here because I don't want anyone thinking this is me trying to pursuade others to join the "dark side" but if you feel so inclined. :p One thing I found to be true is this... when the site owners become transparent and inactive, the site doesn't tend to last long. It's time for a change.

Unfortunately due to work placing a block on Achievement Hounds it has caused my participation to dwindle because I don't really spend a lot of time on the PC when I get home from work. I would definitely support a new site and I could even offer any assistance possible. One suggestion would be to have more contests Eastern time zone friendly. I know there have been some so if I missed them, please pardon my ignorance.

All in all, this site has been very lucky to have Kez, Facial, Oz, Fream, Griffey and many other awesome people who at one point I might've exchanged messages with and/or maybe even gamed with. Sounds like there will be a ton of support no matter what you guys choose. I wish the best to whatever the outcome is and I'll attempt to keep up to speed to make sure I know where to find the community should you move.

Thanks for all the work that you all have put into it... you deserve a new place to call home and to make great and as I've said before, if you need any help, let me know and I'll do whatever is physically (or maybe mentally) possible. :)
http://casualgaming.forumotion.com
Medals: 14
New Hound on the Block (1) Greyhound (1) One Of Us (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Haughty Hound (1) 300 Posts (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Donor (1) Colonel Viral (1) Silver Viral Gamer (1) Brick Breaker (1) Participation Puppy (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1)
Virtual Shelf:
21 pcs.
5 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
31 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

kbeau73

Viral Games Manager

Cash on hand: 4081
Bank: 230,314.00
United States of America

Postby ozbundyboy » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:45 pm

I haven't been as active in the last few months as I have previously and this may decrease a bit during the daytime as I have six weeks left of my course with about eight months worth of work that needs to be completed. I seriously doubt I will complete my studies by the end date of the course and will finsih studying sometime in the next six months. My biggest weakness in relation to completing school work away from campus is that I have too many things that I find to be of distraction such as gaming, websites etc.
Medals: 48
Seasoned Hound (1) Experienced Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) Basset Hound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Charitable (1) Broadcaster (1) Helping Paw (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) 4000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Weekly Blogger (1) Progress?? (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Donor (1) Booster CCL (1) Socialite (1) Can I Get A Witness? (1) Been there, Done that (1)
Brick Breaker (1) For Albion! (1) 10 Xbox One Completions (1) Rarefied (1) AHP Competition 1st (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Community Manager (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Scarred For Life (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
155 pcs.
453 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

ozbundyboy

Community Manager

Cash on hand: 177055
Australia

Postby RedmptionDenied » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:00 pm

Would also vote on making a fresh start with a new, more active site. Been around since day 1 and really don't care at all about the medals, points, stocks, collars, etc. Was fun for the first couple years when things were much more active but now just feels pointless and adds unnecessary clutter.

In some defense of the hosts, I think this was always intended to be more of a community driven site then run by just a few people. The whole site as well as the AH podcast was essentially all Kyle/moroniccow's doing and once he started working full time and living a more social life (whatever that is :P) a lot of things started to get neglected. Rav had some good ideas that were implemented early on and helped out the first few months but was never that active with his limited time having a family and working full time. Eric and Sandman were never really involved with running anything on the site. Few different community managers have come and gone and a lot of other people involved with viral games have dropped off as well. Real life happens and our interests all change with it but as Kez mentioned it really wouldn't be that difficult to let people know you're not going to be as active and at least make an effort to pass on whatever responsibilities you've taken on.

I don't really fault any of the original hosts or most of the former staff members for moving on or losing interest as all the things that were new and interesting at first quickly became needless busy work. The biggest disappointment and only real gripe I'd have would be not passing off the amazon affiliate to griffey or someone else who'd established enough trust to run it as that was probably the best idea on here next to viral games for funding prizes and drawing extra interest in the contests/site. But after 2 years with no updates I have no reason as many others have already stated to continue using it with no knowledge it's being used to fund anything here. Think there's been some codes given to griffey/oz to distribute in that time frame but could still let people in general know what the deal is. Not sure that they'd even be getting enough from it at this point to be worthwhile regardless. I believe it was around 50-100 a month back when the site was most active. There was a thread at one point saying how much we were generating and ideas on what to use it for. Interesting table if you have any interest in how it basically works: https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/gp ... tisingfees

I'd say take the best parts about the site and move them over. Viral games for the few still running it, the contests, the amazon affiliate program, and the chat box as well. Think a lot of people including myself were always more likely to post in an active chat than try to comb through the forums for interesting threads to post on. Some of the best times of the site imo was when big gaming stories would break and there'd always be 10-15 people in the chat reacting to them in live time.

Still give a lot of credit to the original hosts, Kyle especially, for creating all of this in the first place. None of the other achievement/gaming podcasts I've listened to made much of an effort to establish any kind of community for their listeners. And full credit to all the rest who've kept the site going since then, griffey, oz, Fream, Kez, Mattism, Fac, etc.

On to bigger and better things and having another site I can lurk on for weeks on end without actually posting anything. :)

And when the Zed to Zed site flames out in a couple years we can just blame Randy. :P
Medals: 45
Professional Hound (1) Greyhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Charitable (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Jackpot (1) 300 Posts (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) Guest Star (1) Donor (1) Booster I (1) One For the Spartans (1) Long Service Medal (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) The Veteran (1) BSAA Professional (1) Brick Breaker (1) You Can't Miss the Bear (1) Violence in Silence (1) A Real Hero (1) The Booster Seat (1) Viral Games 2.0 (1) Love To Swipe (1) Make Us Whole (1) Big Daddy (1) Top 10 (1)
First! (1) Deja Vu II (1) 30 Xbox One Completions (1) All Rounder 3 (1) AHP Competition 1st (1) AHP Competition 2nd (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) AHP Competition Veteran (1) AHPM First Place (1) Fantasy Football Winner (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) 2012 E3 Swagtacular Entrant (1) Participation Puppy (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
94 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
117 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

RedmptionDenied
Top Dawg

Cash on hand: 384315
Bank: 937,217.00
United States of America

Postby HyruleBalverine » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:07 pm

Everybody here has made great points and comments. Honestly, even if the hosts were willing to give up the reigns here, I believe that your best bet would be to create your own site, where you can take the best of this one (as well as ideas from other sites and ideas that have yet to be implemented) and leave the worst behind. Create a community all your own and make it grow. Rich over at TA started with a dream and look what TA has become in just a few years. If our hosts had stayed around, or even just handed over the keys, this site could have done the same. I'm planning on staying here for as long as the site remains, though I may go less active as the site declines, but I'm also willing to branch out and try other sites and communities. I'm more than willing to give Zed to Zed's site a chance.
Image Image
Medals: 47
New Hound on the Block (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Amazonian (1) Charitable (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Dog didn't eat your homework! (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Jackpot (1) 2000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Gift of Gab (1) The Year In Review (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Philanthropist (1) Colonel Viral (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster L (1) Are We Done Yet? (1) Seriously? (1) One For the Spartans (1) Requiescat In Pace (1)
Brick Breaker (1) Gem in the Rough (1) Love To Swipe (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) Deja Vu I (1) All Rounder 1 (1) Denied (1) Nothing Collector (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

Cash on hand: 85639
Bank: 586,475.00
Location: Marysville, WA, USA, North America, Sol 3, Sol System, Orion Arm, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy.
United States of America

Postby zzUrbanSpaceman » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:00 pm

RedmptionDenied wrote:And when the Zed to Zed site flames out in a couple years we can just blame Randy. :P

He's finished GRAW now, he has no excuse. ;)
Medals: 38
Seasoned Hound (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) 1000 posts (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Booster XXX (1) Monotonous Yet Diverse (1) One For the Spartans (1) Long Service Medal (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) Brick Breaker (1) I've Covered Wars, You Know (1) Playing in the Sandbox (1) Human Polygraph (1) The Booster Seat (1) Top 10 (1) All Rounder 1 (1) Denied (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1)
Participation Puppy (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
42 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
102 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

zzUrbanSpaceman
Top Dawg

Cash on hand: 75160
Bank: 260,296.00
Australia

Next

Return to Off Topic