Achievement Hounds Podcast • View topic - Zed To Zed Podcast Community / Future Of AHP

Zed To Zed Podcast Community / Future Of AHP

Re: Zed To Zed Podcast Community / Future Of AHP

Postby Waterydrip37 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:50 pm

I say you start a new site and build it as you see fit. This site has been great to me over the years, and I love the community that it has. I am definitely what you guys classify as a lurker since I don't post much, but I regularly read and stay up to date with what is going on in the community. Hate for this site to "die", but all good things have to end.
Medals: 13
Seasoned Hound (1) Greyhound (1) One Of Us (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) 100 Posts (1) Silver Viral Gamer (1) Booster XX (1) Long Service Medal (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) Participation Puppy (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1)
Virtual Shelf:
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
33 pcs.
10 pcs.
37 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Waterydrip37
Novice

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Cash on hand: 24836
United States of America

Postby buffs » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:56 am

Honestly I think a fresh start would be best..

Reasons being are complete control of the site and the site has become so cluttered with dead forums and subforums.

I'm pretty sure most of us over here are fans of Zed to Zed yall being fellow hounds and all. I for one have listened to every show so far and am enjoying them.

I honestly don't post much but visit the forums every day I help with VG's adding new members to the system about once a month maybe if we get one. I only stick around because I dont want Kez to be the only one even though I don't really do anything anymore. The other 2 VGM's are no longer active as well as a bunch of other community people.

I honestly only come here to read the interesting topics I see and the blogs the rest I dont even bother opening up.

I'm grateful for the people I've met here and play with almost weekly thanks to Mattism's boosting sessions but even without the site I imagine those would continue because we all have games we need to work on the mp with. :)
Medals: 32
Seasoned Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) One Of Us (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Literate (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) 1000 posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Guest Star (1) Community Cast Star (1) Donor (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster C (1) Okay, Maybe One More... (1) Can I Get A Witness? (1) Human Polygraph (1) The Booster Seat (1) Eaglemaniac (1) AHP Competition 2nd (1) Viral Games Manager (1) 2012 E3 Swagtacular Entrant (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List Participant (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1)
To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
20 pcs.
20 pcs.
20 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

buffs

Viral Games Manager

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Cash on hand: 73690
Bank: 0.00
United States of America

Postby Freamwhole » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:04 am

RedmptionDenied wrote:Would also vote on making a fresh start with a new, more active site. Been around since day 1 and really don't care at all about the medals, points, stocks, collars, etc. Was fun for the first couple years when things were much more active but now just feels pointless and adds unnecessary clutter.

In some defense of the hosts, I think this was always intended to be more of a community driven site then run by just a few people. The whole site as well as the AH podcast was essentially all Kyle/moroniccow's doing and once he started working full time and living a more social life (whatever that is :P) a lot of things started to get neglected. Rav had some good ideas that were implemented early on and helped out the first few months but was never that active with his limited time having a family and working full time. Eric and Sandman were never really involved with running anything on the site. Few different community managers have come and gone and a lot of other people involved with viral games have dropped off as well. Real life happens and our interests all change with it but as Kez mentioned it really wouldn't be that difficult to let people know you're not going to be as active and at least make an effort to pass on whatever responsibilities you've taken on.

I don't really fault any of the original hosts or most of the former staff members for moving on or losing interest as all the things that were new and interesting at first quickly became needless busy work. The biggest disappointment and only real gripe I'd have would be not passing off the amazon affiliate to griffey or someone else who'd established enough trust to run it as that was probably the best idea on here next to viral games for funding prizes and drawing extra interest in the contests/site. But after 2 years with no updates I have no reason as many others have already stated to continue using it with no knowledge it's being used to fund anything here. Think there's been some codes given to griffey/oz to distribute in that time frame but could still let people in general know what the deal is. Not sure that they'd even be getting enough from it at this point to be worthwhile regardless. I believe it was around 50-100 a month back when the site was most active. There was a thread at one point saying how much we were generating and ideas on what to use it for. Interesting table if you have any interest in how it basically works: https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/gp ... tisingfees

I'd say take the best parts about the site and move them over. Viral games for the few still running it, the contests, the amazon affiliate program, and the chat box as well. Think a lot of people including myself were always more likely to post in an active chat than try to comb through the forums for interesting threads to post on. Some of the best times of the site imo was when big gaming stories would break and there'd always be 10-15 people in the chat reacting to them in live time.

Still give a lot of credit to the original hosts, Kyle especially, for creating all of this in the first place. None of the other achievement/gaming podcasts I've listened to made much of an effort to establish any kind of community for their listeners. And full credit to all the rest who've kept the site going since then, griffey, oz, Fream, Kez, Mattism, Fac, etc.

On to bigger and better things and having another site I can lurk on for weeks on end without actually posting anything. :)

And when the Zed to Zed site flames out in a couple years we can just blame Randy. :P

To be clear - I'm not voting to go "Pitchfork Nation" on the hosts. That is definitely not the approach and, of course, huge credit for getting this up and going. I think it is more - if you can't devote ANY time to performing the job you were asked (or chose) to do (run the site, community manager, viral games, boosting club) - you need to step down and hand over the reigns. Like merricat did way back in the day - she couldn't keep up and let someone else who is willing and able take over. zzUrbanSpaceman did it with the birthday tag contest and Facial is doing it with the Random To Do List.

I think this site is on the verge of "too far gone" to save, but installing new blood where "staff" has faltered could be a great start and I think that starts at the top.

I also understand that this is a completely voluntary "job" and so there is compassion for real life issues and needs - don't get me wrong, but you can always ask for help.
Living the dream (because I'm always half asleep)
Medals: 25
New Hound on the Block (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) Amazonian (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) 2000 Posts (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Progress?? (1) Representative (1) Community Cast Star (1) Booster X (1) Boosting Medley (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
58 pcs.
126 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Freamwhole
Top Dawg

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Cash on hand: 6735
Bank: 656,209.00
United States of America

Postby Lord Chabelo » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:19 am

I see both sides of the coin on this. I used to be the assistant admin for a Star Wars collecting site. The site itself formed out of necessity when a great community was suddenly left without a home as the owner of the site decided to take his ball and go home. The very active members on the defunct site took the initiative and made something happen. Of course, with the new site came new problems, a difference of opinion of how things should be run, and an inevitable split of the community and yet another Star Wars collecting site was formed from that.

I know the guy that formed the site I was working on kept expanding and contracting the scope of the many sites he formed and in all of them there was a plan of succession. One person was not the sole person that could get stuff done. When I moved on from my responsibilities on those sites, someone was ready to take my place. I moved on for several reason, changes in life, responsibility, priorities, but the sites were not abandoned.

If someone has a good idea for a gaming site, go for it and make it happen. If you don't want this site to die, do something about it. Never make it a this site exclusively over that site issue. Just my two cents.
Medals: 25
Seasoned Hound (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) 400 posts (1) Representative (1) Community Cast Star (1) Donor (1) Major Viral (1) Silver Viral Gamer (1) Brick Breaker (1) The Booster Seat (1) Viral Games 2.0 (1) For Albion! (1) 10 Xbox One Completions (1) All Rounder 2 (1) Denied (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Scarred For Life (1) To Do List Participant (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1)
Virtual Shelf:
28 pcs.
13 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Lord Chabelo
Hound

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Status: I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as soon as I could

Cash on hand: 14520
Bank: 106,235.00
United States of America

Postby Facial La Fleur » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:54 pm

A community can still thrive even when the overlords are absent. A good example of this would be 360v when their major partner stopped supporting the site, but many of the passionate regulars did a great job of keeping it going for as long as possible, until technical issues that required support from higher up was required and refused. Our struggles here aren't even that real by comparison, since we don't have many technical features that any one of us could easily handle. I've thought about contacting Kyle and requesting one or more of the staff to take over, but I don't want to run into any friction and create any animosity from the back and forth that may or may not come of it. I know from experience that when I'm banging my head against a non-receptive wall, I go into rage mode and tear down the whole world in anger. Hulk smash! :lol:
Medals: 55
Experienced Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Broadcaster (1) Artist (1) Helping Paw (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Best in Show (1) Haughty Hound (1) We Bet You're Smiling (1) 3000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) 6 Month Blogger (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) First Time Caller (1) Inquiry (1) Guest Star (1) Community Cast Star (1) Contributor (1) Major Viral (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster CCL (1) Eat, Sleep, Boost, Repeat (1) Had A Lil Help From My Friends (1)
Why Can't I Quit This Game? (1) Seriously? (1) One For the Spartans (1) Long Service Medal (1) The Veteran (1) Brick Breaker (1) A Real Hero (1) Love To Swipe (1) Yes, They're Brass (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) A True Jedi (1) PC Master Race (1) Denied (1) Gun Collector (1) Rarefied (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Free Falling (1) Scarred For Life (1) To Do List Participant (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
11 pcs.
68 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
392 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Facial La Fleur

Boosting Coordinator

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Cash on hand: 32512
Bank: 321,861.00
United States of America

Postby Kez001 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:40 am

Facial La Fleur wrote:A community can still thrive even when the overlords are absent. A good example of this would be 360v when their major partner stopped supporting the site, but many of the passionate regulars did a great job of keeping it going for as long as possible, until technical issues that required support from higher up was required and refused. Our struggles here aren't even that real by comparison, since we don't have many technical features that any one of us could easily handle. I've thought about contacting Kyle and requesting one or more of the staff to take over, but I don't want to run into any friction and create any animosity from the back and forth that may or may not come of it. I know from experience that when I'm banging my head against a non-receptive wall, I go into rage mode and tear down the whole world in anger. Hulk smash! :lol:

5 months since he even visited the site...hard to imagine there'd be much friction...
Medals: 45
Experienced Hound (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) Amazonian (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Halfway There (1) Fortunate (1) 2000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Gift of Gab (1) The Year In Review (1) Contributor (1) Colonel Viral (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster CL (1) Eat, Sleep, Boost, Repeat (1) Had A Lil Help From My Friends (1) Been there, Done that (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) Brick Breaker (1) A Real Hero (1) Love To Swipe (1) Top 10 (1) Bethesdaholic (1) 10 Xbox One Completions (1)
All Rounder 2 (1) Nothing Collector (1) AHP Competition 1st (1) AHP Competition 2nd (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Viral Games Manager (1) To Do List Participant (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
22 pcs.
182 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
2 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
403 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Kez001

Viral Games Manager

Cash on hand: 191102
Bank: 1,248,056.00
United States of America

Postby ozbundyboy » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:03 am

Now that I've given this some more thought (I was in the middle of catching up on some school work when I posted my initial thoughts yesterday), I think it would be far easier to create a new site with which to link your podcast and create it's own identity rather than to take over this site and change the identity of this site changing members from being Achievement Hounds to either Achievement Hunters or Achievement Junkies (however I think there might be a site for Achievement Hunters - please cmiiw).

The only advantage of you assuming ownership of this site would be that you would have a pre-existing membership base, however I think starting from scratch where you can create a community site based on what you think would work best in the site and being able to create a set of rules for the site from scratch would be a lot easier and more efficient than changing everything on this site.
Medals: 48
Seasoned Hound (1) Experienced Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) Basset Hound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Charitable (1) Broadcaster (1) Helping Paw (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) 4000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Weekly Blogger (1) Progress?? (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Donor (1) Booster CCL (1) Socialite (1) Can I Get A Witness? (1) Been there, Done that (1)
Brick Breaker (1) For Albion! (1) 10 Xbox One Completions (1) Rarefied (1) AHP Competition 1st (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Community Manager (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Scarred For Life (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
155 pcs.
453 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

ozbundyboy

Community Manager

Cash on hand: 162847
Bank: 0.00
Australia

Postby SG Steelhead » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:26 pm

I'm more of a lurker than poster but I guess I'll throw in my two cents anyway. I've watched online gaming communities come and go over the years. Most go through the same progressions...booming, slows down a bit, staff slacks off, community gets stagnate, community dies. It's a natural progression because no matter who you are and what you do, people change over the years. Family, job, age, etc all take a toll on your hobbies. Even hobbies that you really love and never completely quit will end up at the bottom of your importance list at certain times. My gaming interest seems fairly cyclical. It never ever dies completely but I definitely get into slumps. The best to avoid community death is to have a large staff so that the torch can always be passed to those who are feeling the fire while others are slumping.

This console generation has been one big slump for me. I just feel absolutely nothing for the X1 and I can't really put my finger on a solid reason. Maybe because I'm getting older? Maybe I'm just irritated with the tacked-on bloatware? Or maybe it's just me being unwilling to change? I find myself absolutely astonished with the popularity of some things, like Twitch. It blew my mind when I realized that there are actually folks who would rather watch other people play games than to play them theirself, but there seems to be a HUGE market for it. Whodathunkit? Personally, I'd rather be stabbed with a disease-infected needle than watch someone play a game but I am obviously in the minority.

But I digress, I'm getting way off topic. I guess my overall point is....if folks are worried about the community direction, I'd definitely attempt to talk to the powers that be before starting from scratch. There are a lot of cool features here and it seems like having new blood step up and take the helm for a while...expanding on the awesome features that are already in place...would be easier than starting over. Unless of course it's not an option....
Medals: 7
Seasoned Hound (1) One Of Us (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Haughty Hound (1) 100 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1)
Virtual Shelf:
18 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

SG Steelhead
Graduate

Cash on hand: 0
Bank: 49,970.00
United States of America

Previous

Return to Off Topic