Achievement Hounds Podcast • View topic - HyruleBalverine's Random Topic of the Week (11 Oct 2015)

HyruleBalverine's Random Topic of the Week (11 Oct 2015)

HyruleBalverine's Random Topic of the Week (11 Oct 2015)

Postby HyruleBalverine » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:12 pm

Today is my mother's birthday and we went out to watch "The Intern" starring Robert De Niro and Anne Hathaway. During the movie, Anne Hathaway's character brought up an interesting idea and I thought that I'd try to discuss it here. While I don't remember the exact quote, I'll pass along the general idea of the statement.

Nowadays we often refer to men as boys; we used to refer to the male gender as Men and the female gender as girls. We grew up in the generation of "Bring Your Daughter To Work Day" where our daughters were raised to believe that they can grow up to do anything, to be anything, and have gotten at least some measure of the equality that they deserve. During that time, our sons were more or less forgotten in this process. Because of this, our sons never really grow up; they still dress like kids (jeans and t-shirts) and play video games.

So, what do you think of this idea expressed in the movie?
Image Image
Medals: 47
New Hound on the Block (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Amazonian (1) Charitable (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Dog didn't eat your homework! (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Jackpot (1) 2000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Gift of Gab (1) The Year In Review (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Philanthropist (1) Colonel Viral (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster L (1) Are We Done Yet? (1) Seriously? (1) One For the Spartans (1) Requiescat In Pace (1)
Brick Breaker (1) Gem in the Rough (1) Love To Swipe (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) Deja Vu I (1) All Rounder 1 (1) Denied (1) Nothing Collector (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
18 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
175 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

HyruleBalverine
Top Dawg

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Cash on hand: 85639
Bank: 586,475.00
Location: Marysville, WA, USA, North America, Sol 3, Sol System, Orion Arm, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy.
United States of America

Re: HyruleBalverine's Random Topic of the Week (11 Oct 2015)

Postby Freamwhole » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:58 am

I'm a boy trapped in a man's body!

Seriously though, I think a lot of it comes down to the protection of children in general (regardless of gender)

I'm guilty of this too - I try to shield my kids from all the negativity and horrible things going on in the world so that they can retain their innocence as long as possible. As a parent, I try to do as much as I can to provide for my kids so they don't have to stress and worry.

Granted mine are younger, but I believe we don't ask kids to grow up as fast. They don't necessarily need to get a job at 14 to help provide food for the family - they get part time jobs to get spending money, but are asked to focus on school work or athletic endeavors. A large portion are expected to go to college and again focus on school - all the while only getting slight increases in responsibility. At the age of 24, those kids have the life experience of a 16 yr old.

That being said - the gratification of video games and sports (from a boy/man) perspective is so rewarding that it doesn't matter the age - we are wired to derive pleasure from those activities and perhaps girls' activities don't live up to those levels of gratification - what with all the wanting to have babies and gossip ;)
Living the dream (because I'm always half asleep)
Medals: 25
New Hound on the Block (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) Amazonian (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) 2000 Posts (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Progress?? (1) Representative (1) Community Cast Star (1) Booster X (1) Boosting Medley (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
58 pcs.
126 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Freamwhole
Top Dawg

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Cash on hand: 9393
Bank: 780,019.00
United States of America

Postby zzUrbanSpaceman » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:10 pm

I was actually reflecting on something very similar the other day, specifically: in conversation, we never (at least, I and people I associate with) refer to a mature men as a "boy" (except in a limited group sense, e.g. "me and the boys"), but a mature women are still often referred to as a "girl". I suspect given the above conversation that this varies highly by culture - Australia will be different to the U.S. in the common use of the gender pronouns.

It's interesting to reflect as well on the use of "girlfriend" and "boyfriend". Notice that there's no mature pronoun form for either of these words, beyond "wife" and "husband"? A non-married, mature couple, don't generally refer to each other as "manfriend" and "womanfriend".

I find the use of language interesting sometimes, particularly when thinking about the subtle implications the use of certain words have. Putting on my feminist hat for a second, the common use of "girl" for woman implies a slight inferiority of a woman, in that they are always seen as being not as mature as a man. I'm not saying not to use the word in that way, just think about what it's actually reinforcing in society. Moving on.

Back to the original topic - boys/men being seen as not as mature as girls/women at the same age is hardly a new thing! I highly doubt this has anything to do with gaming or Facebook or any of the so called evils of modern society - it's been a constant (in stereotype at least) for as long as I can remember, and probably before, and I precede the Internet and the first gaming systems. :P
Medals: 38
Seasoned Hound (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) 1000 posts (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Booster XXX (1) Monotonous Yet Diverse (1) One For the Spartans (1) Long Service Medal (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) Brick Breaker (1) I've Covered Wars, You Know (1) Playing in the Sandbox (1) Human Polygraph (1) The Booster Seat (1) Top 10 (1) All Rounder 1 (1) Denied (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1)
Participation Puppy (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
42 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
102 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

zzUrbanSpaceman
Top Dawg

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Cash on hand: 75160
Bank: 260,296.00
Australia

Postby ozbundyboy » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:47 pm

I don't really know much about "bring your daughter to work day" or even if they have anything like that here. If there was, I think they would have it to bring a child to work day, but I think this is more an American tradition than anything. I think in relation to growing up, it varies from one person to another as while females usually mature faster than males, there are the exceptions to the rule. Also the biggest factor in relation to a person growing up or gaining maturity is what events that happen in their lives and how they deal with them. Some people don't mature because they get everything they want from their parents and think that they will have everything handed to them on a silver platter whereas other people have to work hard to earn everything they are given in life.

In my case, I believe that growing old is mandatory and that growing up is optional. There is a time and a place to act like a kid/teenager in the way we dress and what we do eg gaming/partying etc and there is also a time to act like an adult and be responsible.
Medals: 48
Seasoned Hound (1) Experienced Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) Basset Hound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Charitable (1) Broadcaster (1) Helping Paw (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) 4000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Weekly Blogger (1) Progress?? (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Donor (1) Booster CCL (1) Socialite (1) Can I Get A Witness? (1) Been there, Done that (1)
Brick Breaker (1) For Albion! (1) 10 Xbox One Completions (1) Rarefied (1) AHP Competition 1st (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Community Manager (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Scarred For Life (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) Professional Party Crasher (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
155 pcs.
453 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

ozbundyboy

Community Manager

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Cash on hand: 177055
Bank: 0.00
Australia

Postby Freamwhole » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:25 am

I have used the term "Male Friend" or "Female Friend" when talking about a story, but I'd never associate a gender if I'm introducing someone - clearly the person is right there.
But, in a story - "I have a female friend, Chris, that ....."

Keep in mind that developmentally - males do not mature as faster as females. Our brains remain reckless and immature far beyond our female counter parts. Individually, some people are naturally more mature/immature regardless of brain chemistry, but its important to know biologically men are at a maturity disadvantage.

Plus - who doesn't like "Poop and Fart" jokes?
Living the dream (because I'm always half asleep)
Medals: 25
New Hound on the Block (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) Amazonian (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) 2000 Posts (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Progress?? (1) Representative (1) Community Cast Star (1) Booster X (1) Boosting Medley (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
58 pcs.
126 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Freamwhole
Top Dawg

Cash on hand: 9393
Bank: 780,019.00
United States of America

Return to Off Topic