Achievement Hounds Podcast • View topic - First wave of Xbox LIVE games coming to Windows 8

First wave of Xbox LIVE games coming to Windows 8

First wave of Xbox LIVE games coming to Windows 8

Postby SG Steelhead » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:19 am

Earlier this year we announced that Xbox is coming to Windows 8. Now, in addition to its industry-leading gaming service, Xbox is pleased to announce support from Microsoft Studios, Rovio, Miniclip, Gameloft, ZeptoLab, Glu Mobile, Halfbrick Studios, and others to bring high quality Xbox games to Windows 8.

Wave one of our portfolio will bring you many of the games you already know and love; and will include 29 titles from Microsoft Studios, some of which will be exclusive to Windows 8.

Many games will be available starting October 26th with ongoing new releases coming through holiday and beyond. This growing portfolio spans genres and delivers an innovative mix of fun-to-play titles that will be playable on any Windows 8 PC, laptop, or tablet.

Xbox games will be easy to find in the preinstalled Windows 8 Xbox Games app and available in the Windows  8 Store. In addition, all Xbox games for Windows 8 will have Xbox Achievements, and many will also take advantage of other Xbox features, including leaderboards, multiplayer modes, and connecting with friends, and more. Have a look at wave one of our portfolio:

1. 4 Elements II Special Edition
2. A World of Keflings
3. Adera: Episode 1
4. Adera: Episode 2
5. Adera: Episode 3
6. Angry Birds
7. Angry Birds Space
8. Big Buck Hunter Pro
9. BlazBlue Calamity Trigger
10. Collateral Damage
11. Crash Course GO
12. Cut the Rope
13. Disney Fairies
14. Dragon’s Lair
15. Field & Stream Fishing
16. Fruit Ninja
17. Gravity Guy
18. Gunstringer: Dead Man Running
19. Hydro Thunder Hurricane
20. IloMilo
21. iStunt 2
22. Jetpack Joyride
23. Kinectimals Unleashed
24. Microsoft Mahjong
25. Microsoft Minesweeper
26. Microsoft Solitaire Collection
27. Monster Island
28. PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX
29. Pinball FX 2
30. Reckless Racing Ultimate
31. Rocket Riot 3D
32. Shark Dash
33. Shuffle Party
34. Skulls of the Shogun
35. Taptiles
36. Team Crossword
37. The Harvest HD
38. Toy Soldiers Cold War
39. Wordament
40. Zombies!!!

More details on the first party games is over on the PlayXBLA site

And be sure to stop by the Xbox booth at the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle this weekend as Microsoft Studios will be giving attendees a sneak peek at some of the Windows 8 titles announced today.

Source - http://tinyurl.com/9bq8yr7
Medals: 7
Seasoned Hound (1) One Of Us (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Haughty Hound (1) 100 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1)
Virtual Shelf:
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
18 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

SG Steelhead
Graduate

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Cash on hand: 0
Bank: 55,152.00
United States of America

Re: First wave of Xbox LIVE games coming to Windows 8

Postby Edd Strid » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:06 am

This and the cheaper cost to upgrade the OS this time round might swing a purchase from me. Just hope it's not an ME or Vista.
Medals: 14
New Hound on the Block (1) Greyhound (1) One Of Us (1) Haughty Hound (1) 100 Posts (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) Donor (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) That Deserves a Chili Dog (1) Playing in the Sandbox (1) Gooooaaaaalllll!!!! (1) Yes, They're Brass (1) For Albion! (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
2 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Edd Strid
Tyro

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Cash on hand: 3933
Bank: 120,520.00
Great Britain

Postby triplewitching » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:59 am

Edd Strid wrote:This and the cheaper cost to upgrade the OS this time round might swing a purchase from me. Just hope it's not an ME or Vista.

I've upgraded my two machines, and Windows 8 seems solid. Dual screen support is weak for now, with no Metro interface on screen 2. The vast majority of the current Windows 8 games are not xbox games, but those that are have a special green stripe on them, making it easy to tell which ones have achievements. The number of achievements seems random, especially for the free games, but the majority are 200, like the windows phone games. Some of the games have an unwritten requirement of a touch screen, so you will want to check x360a for the games before starting them. The windows 8 game store interface is actually fairly weak, with some areas not displaying the price, and no sales and specials area of the store, it can be unclear if the game is actually free, or if its just a demo, and there is no easy way to break out the achievement games from the flood of crappy normal games.

IMO, Microsoft is really dropping the ball on Windows 8 gaming. There should be achievements with everything, and the gaming app should be similar to the 360 dashboard, with some kind of sales section, and more sorting options, including sort by more than one option, like see only xbox games sorted by price. I would also make all windows phone games work on Windows 8, with some note if touch is required. The surface tablets should be able to play all the current windows phone games, with reduced graphics.
Medals: 6
One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Haughty Hound (1) 100 Posts (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Long Service Medal (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

triplewitching
Debutant

Cash on hand: 332
Bank: 207,811.00

Postby triplewitching » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:24 pm

I've recently figured out that you can re-download any Windows 8 game or app you have purchased, on any PC you are logged into with your windows LIVE ID. This is an AWESOME feature, since you can propagate any digital purchases to all of your PC's, without having to purchase another copy. This also applies to any game that goes free, even if it goes back up in price later.

Another thing to note is these Windows 8 games are actually new games, not just your mother's Minesweeper, with achievements tacked on. You also have to consider that each of the free remakes of the old Windows games weighs in at 150+ MB, much larger than a full Windows 95 install, so you probably can't just tear through the games section of the store and pick up the almost 1000 free games there. :shock: i recommend 'buying' every xbox (achievement enabled) game on windows 8 that goes free, just to have the right to download it again at a later time. I picked up TapTiles, even though you can't complete it without a touchscreen. I think I will get a Surface eventually, when the price comes down, and I should be able to put my tag on it and download anything I have owned at some point in the past. 8-)
One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Haughty Hound (1) 100 Posts (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Long Service Medal (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

triplewitching
Debutant

Postby triplewitching » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:47 pm

I just realized there are a lot of windows phone games being remade on Windows 8. Many of these are stacks, although most of these games are not easy points games. Also, some games require an in-game purchase to unlock the full game, but you can still earn achievements without buying the full game. I would suggest reading a review before starting any Windows 8 game, unless you are unconcerned about completions and completion %. Cut the Rope Win 8 is one game that requires an in game purchase to unlock, as does Pinball FX 2, but that game is well known for requiring tables to be purchased separately on XBLA (both games are stacks, also)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

triplewitching
Debutant

Postby black buff » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:06 am

I'm getting jealous for the new games I am seeing coming to Windows 8. I am going to have to look more serious at upgrading one of my laptops so I don't miss all these good games.
Medals: 20
New Hound on the Block (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Amazonian (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Haughty Hound (1) 200 Posts (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) Donor (1) Silver Viral Gamer (1) Booster V (1) The Booster Seat (1) March Madness (1) 2012 E3 Swagtacular Entrant (1) To Do List Participant (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
23 pcs.
1 pcs.
23 pcs.
1 pcs.
2 pcs.
4 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

black buff
Veteran

Cash on hand: 882
Bank: 0.00
United States of America

Postby artyman60 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:39 am

Deffinantly feel like I'm missing out here, gonna have to make the jump soon

Always up for a good, organized boosting session
Medals: 22
Seasoned Hound (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Haughty Hound (1) 300 Posts (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Donor (1) Silver Viral Gamer (1) Brick Breaker (1) The Booster Seat (1) Love To Swipe (1) Rarefied (1) Scarred For Life (1) To Do List Participant (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1)
Virtual Shelf:
52 pcs.
73 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

artyman60
Hound

Cash on hand: 0
Bank: 232,383.00
United States of America

Postby XxB3asti3xX » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:00 am

I like windows 8 so far but be warned if you don't have a PC with fairly decent specs it can have some problems. If anyone is concerned about having timestamps watch out. Many of the games for some reason show all achievements as earned offline even though they are earned online.

Taptiles is one of the only ones I've seen that has some ridiculous achievements. one of them will require at least 12 months of regular play to earn with another requiring 8 months of completing a large majority of daily challenges. To make it worse the game randomly looses track of your challenges completed and takes away the points earned from them.

I can't verify it myself but from several other posts I have seen if you play wordament the achievements are stack-able and by having the achievements for leader-board positions on either Win8 or WP they will automatically unlock when played on the other.

If anyone is considering upgrading on a PC that was recently purchased I will post a link for an offer Microsoft is giving to get the upgrade for only $15. Be sure you do it soon though because it is only good until Feb.28.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... rade-offer
Medals: 22
Seasoned Hound (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Haughty Hound (1) Fortunate (1) 200 Posts (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) Donor (1) Booster I (1) One For the Spartans (1) First! (1) 10 Xbox One Completions (1) Gun Collector (1) Rarefied (1) AHP Competition 2nd (1) Participation Puppy (1) To Do List Participant (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
54 pcs.
65 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

XxB3asti3xX
Veteran

Cash on hand: 22275
Bank: 20,444.00
United States of America

Return to GFWL