Achievement Hounds Podcast • View topic - Steam already patching GWFL out

Steam already patching GWFL out

Steam already patching GWFL out

Postby acaraba2 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:58 pm

Just a heads up turn off auto updates for the following games as GWFL has already been patch out.

Batman Arkham Asylum
Batman Arkham City

If you want to play them without updating you must start them while you are offline on steam or it keeps asking you to update.

It happen with Arkham City for me today, but I can still play Asylum since I was stupid enough to hit yes when it asked to update.

sorry for the second post thought this area would be more appropriate.
Medals: 50
Experienced Hound (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Amazonian (1) Charitable (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Community Meetup (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Halfway There (1) We Bet You're Smiling (1) 1000 posts (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Intern Blogger (1) Progress?? (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) Benefactor (1) Captain Viral (1) Gold Viral Gamer (1) Booster CCL (1) Eat, Sleep, Boost, Repeat (1) Had A Lil Help From My Friends (1) Been there, Done that (1) Seriously? (1) Brick Breaker (1) May The Forza Be With You (1)
Eye Of The Tiger (1) Gooooaaaaalllll!!!! (1) Love To Swipe (1) Yes, They're Brass (1) Top 10 (1) First! (1) Deja Vu II (1) 10 Xbox One Completions (1) All Rounder 3 (1) AHP Competition 1st (1) March Madness (1) Fantasy Football Winner (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
16 pcs.
132 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
395 pcs.
acaraba2

Boosting Coordinator

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Cash on hand: 72706
Bank: 2,500,561.00
United States of America

Re: Steam already patching GWFL out

Postby Crandy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:22 pm

Bioshock 2 was patched out recently as well. It would have been nice if they gave an option similar to Toy Soldiers where you could launch the game in either Steam mode or GFWL mode instead of just removing GFWL completely.
Medals: 16
Greyhound (1) One Of Us (1) Amazonian (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) 300 Posts (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) One For the Spartans (1) The Veteran (1) Gat's Protige (1) Love To Swipe (1) Big Daddy (1) Yes, They're Brass (1) Top 10 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
8 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Crandy
Progeny

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Cash on hand: 6
Bank: 202,355.00
Korea North

Postby xylofreak » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:07 pm

That sucks AC, and thanks for the warning, I did manage to turn off updates after i installed all my games and I am now moving on to the Batman games before I get completely shut out of GFWL after I finish FUEL which should only be a few more hours left. Good Luck to anyone else affected
Medals: 23
Seasoned Hound (1) One Of Us (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Community Meetup (1) Haughty Hound (1) 100 Posts (1) Bronze Viral Gamer (1) Booster C (1) Are We Done Yet? (1) Can I Get A Witness? (1) Been there, Done that (1) One For the Spartans (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) The Veteran (1) That Deserves a Chili Dog (1) Old School (1) The Booster Seat (1) Viral Games 2.0 (1) Love To Swipe (1) AHP Competition 1st (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1)
Virtual Shelf:
127 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

xylofreak
Graduate

Cash on hand: 2795
Bank: 248,311.00
United States of America

Postby acaraba2 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:09 pm

there are a list of games that will be patch , so be careful when updating. the DRM should work till the servers closed on july 1.

Here are the forward thinkers:
◾Bioshock 2
◾Batman: Arkham Asylum Game of the Year Edition
◾F1 2010
◾F1 2011
◾Fallout 3
◾Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
◾Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Colonies Edition
◾Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition
◾Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II

http://segmentnext.com/2013/10/05/heres ... teamworks/

the good thing is I didn't have an achievement unlock in arkham city, so I guess I wont be playing twice now for sure.
Experienced Hound (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Amazonian (1) Charitable (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Community Meetup (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Halfway There (1) We Bet You're Smiling (1) 1000 posts (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Intern Blogger (1) Progress?? (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) Benefactor (1) Captain Viral (1) Gold Viral Gamer (1) Booster CCL (1) Eat, Sleep, Boost, Repeat (1) Had A Lil Help From My Friends (1) Been there, Done that (1) Seriously? (1) Brick Breaker (1) May The Forza Be With You (1)
Eye Of The Tiger (1) Gooooaaaaalllll!!!! (1) Love To Swipe (1) Yes, They're Brass (1) Top 10 (1) First! (1) Deja Vu II (1) 10 Xbox One Completions (1) All Rounder 3 (1) AHP Competition 1st (1) March Madness (1) Fantasy Football Winner (1) VIP GoW #100 (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
16 pcs.
132 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
395 pcs.
acaraba2

Boosting Coordinator

United States of America

Postby zzUrbanSpaceman » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:57 pm

Thanks for the info.

What is actually quite annoying is not being given the option here. They are removing a function of the game (Xbox achievements), and if I want to retain them, I need to basically break Steam.

Actually I believe Arkham City can be started outside of Steam, so that's another workaround. Still annoying.

acaraba2, if I you want I can make the pre-patch game files available to you for Arkham City.
Medals: 38
Seasoned Hound (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) 1000 posts (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Booster XXX (1) Monotonous Yet Diverse (1) One For the Spartans (1) Long Service Medal (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) Brick Breaker (1) I've Covered Wars, You Know (1) Playing in the Sandbox (1) Human Polygraph (1) The Booster Seat (1) Top 10 (1) All Rounder 1 (1) Denied (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1)
Participation Puppy (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
42 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
102 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

zzUrbanSpaceman
Top Dawg

Cash on hand: 75160
Bank: 260,296.00
Australia

Postby acaraba2 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:42 am

zzUrbanSpaceman wrote:Thanks for the info.

What is actually quite annoying is not being given the option here. They are removing a function of the game (Xbox achievements), and if I want to retain them, I need to basically break Steam.

Actually I believe Arkham City can be started outside of Steam, so that's another workaround. Still annoying.

acaraba2, if I you want I can make the pre-patch game files available to you for Arkham City.

luckily, I notice I hadn't started arkham city so I am not to upset about that one, and I caught my self before I did the update for Arkham asylum so I can play that one by going offline on steam, so not all that upset but I just wanted to post so others don't do the same and then have to look for a disc copy.
Virtual Shelf:
16 pcs.
132 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
395 pcs.
acaraba2

Boosting Coordinator

United States of America

Postby Facial La Fleur » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:57 am

I warned you about this a long time ago. I told everyone to turn off updates in their GFWL games through Steam. Sorry to hear you didn't pay attention. :|
Medals: 55
Experienced Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Broadcaster (1) Artist (1) Helping Paw (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Major Shareholder (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Best in Show (1) Haughty Hound (1) We Bet You're Smiling (1) 3000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) 6 Month Blogger (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) First Time Caller (1) Inquiry (1) Guest Star (1) Community Cast Star (1) Contributor (1) Major Viral (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster CCL (1) Eat, Sleep, Boost, Repeat (1) Had A Lil Help From My Friends (1)
Why Can't I Quit This Game? (1) Seriously? (1) One For the Spartans (1) Long Service Medal (1) The Veteran (1) Brick Breaker (1) A Real Hero (1) Love To Swipe (1) Yes, They're Brass (1) Top 10 (1) For Albion! (1) A True Jedi (1) PC Master Race (1) Denied (1) Gun Collector (1) Rarefied (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Free Falling (1) Scarred For Life (1) To Do List Participant (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
11 pcs.
68 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
392 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Facial La Fleur

Boosting Coordinator

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Cash on hand: 35629
Bank: 382,585.00
United States of America

Postby acaraba2 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:32 am

I had updates turn off but couldn't figure out how to play it and accidently hit yes. I know the update patch out GFWL but once I hit yes it was to late. it wouldn't let me play it even though it only partially download it. I basically forgot you had to go offline to play it.
Virtual Shelf:
16 pcs.
132 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
395 pcs.
acaraba2

Boosting Coordinator

United States of America

Postby zzUrbanSpaceman » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:51 pm

Some clarifications:

1) Disabling the updates on Steam will not help. Steam still checks if an update is available, and won't let you launch the Batman games if there's an update pending. As soon as Steam knows about the update, you're effectively screwed. The only way to avoid this is to run Steam in offline mode all the time, and never let it connect to fetch it's updates. I'm fortunate that I was warned about this before my copy was updated from under me; several of my friends were not so lucky.

2) Arkham City can't be launched outside of Steam. Even if you start the game exe manually it still has Steam hooks.
Seasoned Hound (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) 1000 posts (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Booster XXX (1) Monotonous Yet Diverse (1) One For the Spartans (1) Long Service Medal (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) Brick Breaker (1) I've Covered Wars, You Know (1) Playing in the Sandbox (1) Human Polygraph (1) The Booster Seat (1) Top 10 (1) All Rounder 1 (1) Denied (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1)
Participation Puppy (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
42 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
102 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

zzUrbanSpaceman
Top Dawg

Australia

Postby Mattism » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:58 pm

I have been able to avoid this by launching all my games in Steam offline mode. I just need to install a few more games that I have left and play them. I have already given up any hope at completing all or even most of the achievements in most of the PC games that I own.
Medals: 45
Experienced Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) One Of Us (1) Charitable (1) Broadcaster (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Majority Shareholder (1) C.E.O. (1) Dog didn't eat your homework! (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Resolute (1) Jackpot (1) 1000 posts (1) Street Team (1) First Time Caller (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Benefactor (1) Gold Viral Gamer (1) Booster CCL (1) Eat, Sleep, Boost, Repeat (1) Let's Finish This!! (1) Been there, Done that (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) The Veteran (1) Brick Breaker (1) Violence in Silence (1) A Real Hero (1) Top 10 (1) A True Jedi (1)
Rarefied (1) Consigliere (1) AHPM Thirds Place (1) Boosting Club Coordinator (1) Free Falling (1) 2012 E3 Swagtacular Entrant (1) Scarred For Life (1) To Do List Participant (1) Big Barker (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
307 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
2 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
340 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Mattism

Boosting Coordinator

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Cash on hand: 739894
Bank: 598,075.00
United States of America

Postby xylofreak » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:39 pm

I went permanently offline a bit ago but I still received the client update that patched it out. Arkham City has not been affected but my copy Arkham Asylum will not boot up without a CD Key which has been stripped from the client. Looks like I am at a loss for that one, although I have contacted Steam Support about optaining an unlock code or a CD Key to be able to launch it offline. I am still waiting for a response after 3 days. I guess we will see what happens then.
Medals: 23
Seasoned Hound (1) One Of Us (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Community Meetup (1) Haughty Hound (1) 100 Posts (1) Bronze Viral Gamer (1) Booster C (1) Are We Done Yet? (1) Can I Get A Witness? (1) Been there, Done that (1) One For the Spartans (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) The Veteran (1) That Deserves a Chili Dog (1) Old School (1) The Booster Seat (1) Viral Games 2.0 (1) Love To Swipe (1) AHP Competition 1st (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1)
Virtual Shelf:
127 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

xylofreak
Graduate

Cash on hand: 2795
Bank: 248,311.00
United States of America

Postby zzUrbanSpaceman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:32 pm

I have managed to restore GFWL support to a friend's copy of Arkham City after it got patched. Well, technically I replaced his entire installed copy with my unpatched copy - but hey, he can launch it with Steam offline and is able to unlock achievements again, so he's happy. In a week or two I hope to build a patch file that will allow anyone to revert their copy.
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
42 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
102 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

zzUrbanSpaceman
Top Dawg

Australia

Return to GFWL