Achievement Hounds Podcast • View topic - Games for Windows Live Marketplace Closing Next Week

Games for Windows Live Marketplace Closing Next Week

Games for Windows Live Marketplace Closing Next Week

Postby Cowboy Bucket » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:16 am

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news ... -Week.html

The Games for Windows Live service has had a bit of a sordid history. Originally launched in 2007, it was supposed to bring the ease of Xbox Live gaming to the PC. It never quite worked. There was originally an extra fee that developers had to pay simply to feature their game on the service (which was revoked a year later), and a litany of other restrictions for developers, publishers, and gamers alike. The service has largely been shunned by the gaming community, and very few titles have utilized it.

With the release of the Windows 8 operating system, Microsoft has revamped their PC gaming stance and found much more success. It appeared that GFWL had been abandoned, with only two games coming this year, and nothing since the long delayed Ms. Splosion Man in April. Microsoft has now officially announced it will stop selling any GFWL titles through xbox.com and the GFWL software client. Existing games will be supported by the service (you can still earn Gamerscore from them, in other words), so long as you can find a copy in the wild and the game's publisher decides to support any online component or DLC through in-game purchases.

You have until August 22nd to purchase any content through xbox.com and the GFWL software client. After that date, none of the digital titles will be available anywhere, and only physical copies already at retailers or on the second hand market will be available for purchase.

For the official Microsoft FAQ about this change, see here. For the official x360a FAQ about the Games for Windows Live serice and a complete list of available GFWL titles, see here.
Medals: 8
New Hound on the Block (1) One Of Us (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Haughty Hound (1) Booster V (1) Can I Get A Witness? (1) Long Service Medal (1) Eye Of The Tiger (1)
Virtual Shelf:
Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
5 pcs.
16 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Cowboy Bucket
Novice

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Cash on hand: 0
Bank: 45,706.00
United States of America

Re: Games for Windows Live Marketplace Closing Next Week

Postby merricat sugar » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:59 am

Better get Vancouver 2010 while you can.
Medals: 37
Seasoned Hound (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Helping Paw (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) 2000 Posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Representative (1) First Time Caller (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Guest Star (1) Community Cast Star (1) Contributor (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster L (1) Okay, Maybe One More... (1) Brick Breaker (1) 10 Xbox One Completions (1) Gun Collector (1) Rarefied (1) Eating up Quarters (1) AHP Competition 2nd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1)
2012 E3 Swagtacular Entrant (1) Scarred For Life (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List Participant (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
2 pcs.
162 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
135 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

merricat sugar
Top Dawg

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Cash on hand: 392654
Bank: 20,428.00
United States of America

Postby Crandy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:11 am

It's sad to see GFWL go. Although it was hated by the PC gaming community, I always enjoy getting achievements on my PC. I always thought it had a lot of potential but I always felt Microsoft abandoned it almost immediately after release. Time to buy all the DLC I need for my unplayed PC games.
Medals: 16
Greyhound (1) One Of Us (1) Amazonian (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) 300 Posts (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) One For the Spartans (1) The Veteran (1) Gat's Protige (1) Love To Swipe (1) Big Daddy (1) Yes, They're Brass (1) Top 10 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
8 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Crandy
Progeny

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Cash on hand: 6
Bank: 197,420.00
Korea North

Postby buffs » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:42 am

Guess I better get the rest of the DLC for Bioshock 2 while I can..
Medals: 32
Seasoned Hound (1) Afghan Hound (1) One Of Us (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Literate (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) 1000 posts (1) Photobombed! (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Guest Star (1) Community Cast Star (1) Donor (1) Platinum Viral Gamer (1) Booster C (1) Okay, Maybe One More... (1) Can I Get A Witness? (1) Human Polygraph (1) The Booster Seat (1) Eaglemaniac (1) AHP Competition 2nd (1) Viral Games Manager (1) 2012 E3 Swagtacular Entrant (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List Participant (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1)
To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
20 pcs.
20 pcs.
20 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

buffs

Viral Games Manager

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Cash on hand: 74788
Bank: 0.00
United States of America

Postby zzUrbanSpaceman » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:19 am

I'm a bit concerned about what this will mean for achievements. I've already seen notes about some Steam distributed games having the GWFL stuff patched out - does this mean that if I have a GFWL game on Steam, I won't be able to get the achievements any more? I'll be pretty pissed if that's the case, I have about 10 games on Steam that I haven't got installed due to limited HDD space, and if I lose access to the achievements in those ... FUUUUUU
Medals: 38
Seasoned Hound (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) 1000 posts (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Booster XXX (1) Monotonous Yet Diverse (1) One For the Spartans (1) Long Service Medal (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) Brick Breaker (1) I've Covered Wars, You Know (1) Playing in the Sandbox (1) Human Polygraph (1) The Booster Seat (1) Top 10 (1) All Rounder 1 (1) Denied (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1)
Participation Puppy (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
42 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
102 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

zzUrbanSpaceman
Top Dawg

Cash on hand: 75160
Bank: 253,948.00
Australia

Postby Crandy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:25 am

zzUrbanSpaceman wrote:I'm a bit concerned about what this will mean for achievements. I've already seen notes about some Steam distributed games having the GWFL stuff patched out - does this mean that if I have a GFWL game on Steam, I won't be able to get the achievements any more? I'll be pretty pissed if that's the case, I have about 10 games on Steam that I haven't got installed due to limited HDD space, and if I lose access to the achievements in those ... FUUUUUU

I was wondering more about the Steam DLC for games like Microsoft Flight and Age of Empires Online. I have not downloaded my Age of Empires DLC that I purchased from Steam yet (but I will be doing it today), but I know Microsoft Flight has to go through the GFWL marketplace. I wonder if the DLC keys that Steam gives out will still be redeemable. Having the GFWL serviced patched out of games is also concerning. I will be installing all of my GFWL Steam games today if HD space permits.
Medals: 16
Greyhound (1) One Of Us (1) Amazonian (1) Haughty Hound (1) Jackpot (1) 300 Posts (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) One For the Spartans (1) The Veteran (1) Gat's Protige (1) Love To Swipe (1) Big Daddy (1) Yes, They're Brass (1) Top 10 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
8 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

Crandy
Progeny

Cash on hand: 6
Bank: 197,420.00
Korea North

Postby kipjib » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:58 am

Crandy wrote:
zzUrbanSpaceman wrote:I'm a bit concerned about what this will mean for achievements. I've already seen notes about some Steam distributed games having the GWFL stuff patched out - does this mean that if I have a GFWL game on Steam, I won't be able to get the achievements any more? I'll be pretty pissed if that's the case, I have about 10 games on Steam that I haven't got installed due to limited HDD space, and if I lose access to the achievements in those ... FUUUUUU

I was wondering more about the Steam DLC for games like Microsoft Flight and Age of Empires Online. I have not downloaded my Age of Empires DLC that I purchased from Steam yet (but I will be doing it today), but I know Microsoft Flight has to go through the GFWL marketplace. I wonder if the DLC keys that Steam gives out will still be redeemable. Having the GFWL serviced patched out of games is also concerning. I will be installing all of my GFWL Steam games today if HD space permits.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but GFWL is to be discontinued next year:
http://games.on.net/2013/08/games-for-w ... july-2014/
Medals: 8
One Of Us (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Turd Burglar (1) Booster XX (1) Boosting Medley (1) One For the Spartans (1) Participation Puppy (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
25 pcs.
33 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

kipjib
Novice

Cash on hand: 18840
Bank: 0.00
Australia

Postby zzUrbanSpaceman » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:02 am

Given the info was pulled shortly after it was noticed, I'd put that down to rumour at this point. A strong rumour, but it's not confirmed yet.
Medals: 38
Seasoned Hound (1) Deerhound (1) One Of Us (1) PayPal Donator (1) Shareholder (1) Shareholder VIP (1) Literate (1) Community Spot Light (1) Haughty Hound (1) 1000 posts (1) Long Road Ahead (1) Representative (1) Street Team (1) To Whom It May Concern (1) Community Cast Star (1) Booster XXX (1) Monotonous Yet Diverse (1) One For the Spartans (1) Long Service Medal (1) Requiescat In Pace (1) Brick Breaker (1) I've Covered Wars, You Know (1) Playing in the Sandbox (1) Human Polygraph (1) The Booster Seat (1) Top 10 (1) All Rounder 1 (1) Denied (1) AHP Competition 3rd (1) VIP GoW #100 (1)
Participation Puppy (1) Participation Hound (1) To Do List 2014. Welcome Back (1) Over The Edge (1) To Do List 2015 Participant (1) A to Z Challenge 2014 (1) A to Z Challenge Complete (1) Treasure Hunter 1.0 (1)
Virtual Shelf:
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
42 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
102 pcs.
%s XBox Live Avatar

zzUrbanSpaceman
Top Dawg

Cash on hand: 75160
Bank: 253,948.00
Australia

Return to GFWL